PDA

View Full Version : Crank scrapers, worth it?

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
While I have this thing in pieces, might as well wring every last hp and efficiency out of it, so are they worth it? I already have a windage tray.

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
If you have a windage tray, what oil will be left to scrape off the crank? Diminishing returns?

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
If you have a windage tray, what oil will be left to scrape off the crank? Diminishing returns?

Not sure, hence the question.

shelby zed
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
id say if youve got the tray allready that should do it

ssheen
03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
There is a good thread on TD were Kevin J. of crank-scrappers.com weights in with his thoughts.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
There is a good thread on TD were Kevin J. of crank-scrappers.com weights in with his thoughts.

Let me guess... the guys selling crank scrappers... like them? ;)

turbovanmanČ
03-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Anyone, bueller?

devlish
03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
i have a set. they were in for about 60 seconds... twice. they chattered like crazy. took off the oil pan to check for clearances, everything was fine. doublechecked alignment, put on pan, turned over crank by hand and it was fine. started up & chattered. took them off and put them on the shelf.

i also have a windage tray but did not get the car to the track yet to see if the tray alone solved my problem, i hope it did!!

ssheen
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Let me guess... the guys selling crank scrappers... like them? ;)

Perhaps not an unbiased source. :p

Pandemoniac
03-23-2007, 12:37 AM
I've had a crank scraper on my car for a few months now. The one I got from FWD performance hit everywhere on one side, so I had to do some grinding, plus i modified it further so I could stick my balance shaft carrier back in place (using it for oil control) Whether it helps or not, I dunno... but it doesn't "chatter" or have any other odd side effects, my engine runs quiet and smooth but pulls HARD right to the rev limiter.

4 l-bodies
03-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Not sure, hence the question.

I have both a baffled pan and crank scrapper in my 86 GLHT. After all the issues of trial fitting over, and over, and over again, I came to the conclusion it would be darn near impossible to reproduce them in quantity without fittment issues. Your welds are off by 1/16" and it hits. I had at one time considered making them. I came to the conclusion that due to different strokes, pans, pickups, rods, etc. it wasn't going to be something to would get into.

Simon if you have the time, probably worth the effort for your own vehicle. People that purchase parts expect them to fit. If one doesn't have the sense to trial fit something as critical as a baffled pan or worse yet a crank scrapper, well IMO, they deserve what they get. Probably made about a dozen or so over the years for my cars and friends.

Heck the simple MP baffled pan they couldn't even get the dipstick hole in the correct spot! Then after a couple years the four spot welds holding the baffle would crack. Nice $200 pan. Talk about a buzzy motor:p

Even my Ed Peters pan had fittment issues, and that guy was known for his high quality stuff! When it comes to baffled pan and oil scrappers, you better have a mocked up motor and test fit each one before final fittment.
Todd Nelson

mw6886
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
The crank scraper I got from Ishihara-Johnson fit perfectly the first time.

It has been said, and don't quote me on this, that you can gain upwards of 7 horsepower from adding a crank scraper. If it adds 2-3 horsepower its worth the $50, not just for the HP but for the oil control.

lansingsportsrage
03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Let me guess... the guys selling crank scrappers... like them? ;) And I'm sure that Forward Motion and Turbo's Unleased should now be completely discounted and we shouldn't beleive what they say about their mods ??? :bump2:

devlish
03-30-2007, 09:53 AM
i'm sticking by the fact that test fit mine MULTIPLE times, turned the crank over by hand and they did NOT rub, but once the motor was running they did. maybe just the vibrations were too much, i don't know. but i'm going to try it again when i pull the motor soon. but i'm going to grind away first. even if i remove some of the scraper itself, it still has to help better than nothing, at least to catch the oil slopping around and flying around off the crank. right?

MiniMopar
03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I have one it both of my cars. The forged crank 2.2L was a snap, but the cast crank on my CSX required quite a bit of grinding. The counter weights on the cast crank were strangely shaped. I have no problems with them hitting. The only thing I don't like about them is the extra work required when installing the oil pan. I had to use RTV on the rubber end pieces to get a good seal.

Speedeuphoria
03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
i have one on my 2.4 and had to grind a little off 1 or 2 places, I am also using aftermarket rods so that may have been the difference.

I also drilled and installed 2 alignment dowel pins so it cant move out of place.(well anythings possible, but so far so good)

BadAssPerformance
03-30-2007, 05:21 PM
And I'm sure that Forward Motion and Turbo's Unleased should now be completely discounted and we shouldn't beleive what they say about their mods ??? :bump2:

Where did that come from? ALL vendors need to be taken for what they are.

All I was saying is that if someone sells only ONE thing then they are EXTREMELY biased towards that item and its performance benfits and in no way did I say that they didnt work.