PDA

View Full Version : reservoir size?

Tony Hanna
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
I just threw the parts together that I'm thinking about using for my alky setup for an uninstalled test. With the pump running flat out against an m10 nozzle, the reservoir is good for exactly 3 minutes from full to empty.

Now I know this would be a no brainer for a drag only car, but I imagine that I'll be into the alky on the street quite a bit as well. Any thoughts as to wether or not it'll be enough?
I wouldn't mind having to refill once a day, but if it comes down to having to carry a jug of methanol and refill a time or 2 over the course of the day, then I think I'd be happier with a bigger res.
Thanks,

contraption22
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
How big is the reservoir you are using now volume wise?

Tony Hanna
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
How big is the reservoir you are using now volume wise?

Just a hair over 2 quarts.

whistlin'
03-23-2007, 10:39 PM
I just finished plumbing mine and plan on having it wired tomorrow. I hope a 2 qt reservoir last longer than that. I just tapped my washer tank which is about 2 qt.

cordes
03-23-2007, 11:26 PM
You will probably want to carry a little extra anyway, so I would just stick with that since swapping out to a 1gal container will take up twice the space and you already have the one ready to go in with a plan in mind hopefully.

Aries_Turbo
03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
im going to run meth/water (windshield washer fluid lol) and im just going to modify one of the caps for the gallon jugs so that I can attach a hose to it and make a rack to hang the bottle upside down. :) if I need more capacity ill make 2 racks and tee the bottles together. :)

Brian

Aries_Turbo
03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
oh yeah, my crap is going in the trunk cause i wont be running straight methanol.

Brian

GLHSKEN
03-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Reeves runs from a windshield washer fluid tank... Makes several passes with it. Warren hall has a 1 gallon gas can (hidden underhood) he runs from

CSXT802
03-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Here is my set up.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/brouss29/DSCF0136.jpg
:thumb:

contraption22
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I take it these setups do not require that the reservoir be mounted below the injection nozzle?

whistlin'
03-24-2007, 03:25 PM
I take it these setups do not require that the reservoir be mounted below the injection nozzle?

No, they use a check valve.

I just made about 6 full throttle passes while dialing mine in, barely used any meth/water. I'm using the washer tank(2 qt.) and the M-10 nozzle. I don't think capacity will be an issue for me, but I will carry a spare jug in the trunk.

csxtra
03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
My $.02:

When I got my alky kit, I wanted to use the stealthy mini overflow bottle that Alkycontrol sells as my tank, but Julio at Alkycontrol quickly talked me out of that, as he didn't want me to be disappointed in his kit because I was running out of alky all the time. He HIGHLY recommended at least a 1 gallon tank.

Now if you are running a drag-only car where you can top off the tank between passes, you can get by with a small tank, but if your are doing street driving, you NEED to know that the alky is there when you get on it...if you run big boost without enough alky in the tank...say hello to your new ashtrays.

This is also why it is crucial to have a "low alky" indicator somewhere in the car for when the tank gets low.

Warren

David Bohrer
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I use a one 800ml tank @ one pint....

Tony Hanna
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Definately some good information here. My first alky system used a 6 gal. boat tank hidden in the spare tire well. It was definately overkill. I picked up the 2 qt reservoir this time due to wanting to mount it underhood with limited space. After the point Warren made, I think I might use the 2 qt res to replace the cracked windshield washer res on my old truck and just buy a nice little 3 gal. fuel cell or something for the alky. better safe than sorry right?:)

whistlin'
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
If you've got the room and want bigger it can't hurt anything that's for sure. Most my driving is work commuting with an occasional blast. I can get by checking my washer fluid level every morning when I check my oil.

Tony Hanna
03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
If you've got the room and want bigger it can't hurt anything that's for sure. Most my driving is work commuting with an occasional blast. I can get by checking my washer fluid level every morning when I check my oil.

Anything much bigger than the 2 qt. Is gonna have to go in the spare tire well but I guess it'll be worth it for piece of mind if nothing else. I'm definately going to build some sort of sheetmetal firewall over the spare tire well and vent the entire space as well as the tank itself to the outside.
It always made me a little nervous with 6 gallons of pure methanol in the passenger compartment with the old system. It was vented to the outside, but there was nothing but the carpet between the tank and the inside of the car.:o

boost geek
04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
My L-body space is running out. I have a 1.89 litre juice jug,(temporary, mickey mouse) beside the radiator. I filled it saturday night, thought I'd check it after work today, it was bone dry. I have a nice reservoir that would fit in the trunk, but I dont know if it would pass tech at the track.

Tony Hanna
04-18-2007, 06:47 AM
You'll probably want to check on that. I never had a problem with my old setup passing tech just because they never noticed it. I don't imagine it would have gone over too well if they had.:)