PDA

View Full Version : K-Frame strengthening ideas???

glhs399
01-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Now that I’m all done with seam welding the car and putting the rear suspension back on the Omni, I have been thinking about how to strengthen the K-frame. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make it stronger? I have heard of a few people doing this but I would like some ideas from others. Also if anyone wants some pictures of my rear axel that I strengthened up let me know. Car is going to see stage rally action so it needs to be stout!

Thank,
Doug Folsom
Portland, OR
85 GLHT Rally Car Under Construction :clap2:
86 GLHS #399

BadAssPerformance
01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
The K-members are pretty strong stock, but since you mentioned 'rally' I'll say that you can box any 'C' section to make it stronger such as the upright mounts. Only thing I have done to them is to add an 1/8" plate around the curve in the k-member near in the crotch of the LCA so i can pry against it with my 6' bar to remove axles fast.

turbovanman²
01-23-2006, 11:43 PM
I welded up every seam I could on mine and as much of the rack mounts as possible. Theres only a small hole to get the welder in so aprox 1/2 of the bracket is weldable. I also boxed in the front K-member mounts on the frame. Before mods, if you dropped the K, it went boing, after welding, it went thud. :nod: