PDA

View Full Version : help ASAP!!

4cfed
03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
my cam seal (plastic cap on drivers side popped out on the way to work) lucky it stayed half on the car so its not lost..... will it be ok to black rtv it back i nplace to avoid this again???

also what causes them to pop out??

iv never had this problem before

tryingbe
03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Why not just replace it?

Blow-by is usually the cause of those cap coming out.

4cfed
03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
cuz the parts store cant get it...... i think i need a new pcv also... ack.. more money to spend on saturday

so far new windshield,
pcv
plugs
and a tire

couldnt pull the cap out by hand so idk..... car was sittin for 6 months so go figure stuff bound to happen

tryingbe
03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
www.autozone.com
www.kragen.com
www.napaoline.com
www.carquest.com
www.pepboys.com

Did you try them all?

Tony Hanna
03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
If you do decide to reuse your old cap, don't use RTV.
RTV slowly breaks down when in constant contact with oil so you'll just end up with the cap popping out again later. Instead, get a tube of Permatex Super Tack. It's resistant to all types of petroleum products. I've even used it to repair a gas tank and the repair has been holding without a leak since '05. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and free of oil before you put it together, and it should work great.

4cfed
03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
If you do decide to reuse your old cap, don't use RTV.
RTV slowly breaks down when in constant contact with oil so you'll just end up with the cap popping out again later. Instead, get a tube of Permatex Super Tack. It's resistant to all types of petroleum products. I've even used it to repair a gas tank and the repair has been holding without a leak since '05. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and free of oil before you put it together, and it should work great.

i only deal with advanced auto parts cuz iget deals on anything and everything,.. i think my buddy has a new one in his garage ill have to call him tommrow, i used black rtv says supposto be mose gas and oil resistant.... but il fix it properly just needed to make sure it dont leak anymore
which with the cap back in no rtv it wasnt leakin

Tony Hanna
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
It's easy enough to tell if the stuff you used is oil resistant. Take a piece of dried rtv and soak it in gasoline for an hour. If it comes out feeling kind of slimey to touch then gasoline will eat it which means oil will eat it over time too. I think Advance carries the Super Tack. If not, then they have the same thing in a different brand. I'm pretty sure I've bought it there before.

slasky
03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I use 3m weatherstrip adhesive to hold them in. I learned that trick from an old mopar tech.

JDAWG
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
if you want to put sealer on it use anaerobic sealer, but your local dealer should have the seal in stock

4cfed
03-20-2007, 10:36 PM
i think i have some tack n seal i nthe garage from doing the valve cover on a car last summer.. ill keep en eye on the black rtv and if i notice a leak again ill get anew cap and seal it rigth.. i dont see why the black rtv wont last iv used it for valve covers before and works great and looks better than the red stuff

Tony Hanna
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
It will last for awhile, but the oil will eventually eat it. Look at an oil pan that's been put on with too much rtv. The stuff that squeezes out between the pan and block will eventually break down from the constant contact with oil and fall into the pan where it gets sucked up by the oil pump and stuck in the pickup screen. I've seen engines destroyed from oil starvation because of it. It doesn't happen overnight, it's more of a gradual process, but it does happen.

Try the test I was talking about earlier. Throw a dried piece of RTV into a jar of gasoline and let it soak for awhile. You'll see what I'm talking about. Oil will do the same thing, it just takes longer.

shelby zed
03-21-2007, 12:18 AM
dont do it man! ill get you the part number tommorow, mine blew out and wiped my engine. dont let it happen to you. the peice is like 6 bucks canadian. and yes, use weatherstripping adhesive to put it in, that stuff is mint, the yellow stuff

shelby zed
03-21-2007, 12:18 AM
oh and for mine im making a bolt go through the tb bracket to hold it in so it doesnt happen again

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Use anerobic, DO NOT use RTV, this acts as a lubricant and the seal will come flying back out again.

4cfed
03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
iv NEVER had this problem on any td before... never used any sealant wehn idit he mp314 cam swap on my 89 c/s and never had a problem......

this is what i did pused the cap back in at work... drove it home, used brake cleaner to clean the cap and the head around the opening for the cap... left the cap in and spread black rtv around the seal of the cap and head.. no rtv is on the inside just on though outside to keep the oil in

87glhs232
03-21-2007, 12:49 AM
+1 on the anaerobic sealer. More costly than RTV, but WELL worth it.