PDA

View Full Version : Mopars at the Strip 2007

Dr.Evil
03-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Who's going? I'll be there in my R/T tearin up the FWD class :evil: So who else is going to be there? Should be an awesome event...if your in the area, don't miss it!

turboaddict
03-20-2007, 04:20 AM
you gonna drive it down?

Dr.Evil
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I am on Friday for my buddys 21st, then flying home and back down next friday for the race...if you want to go, get a ticket down and you can ride w/ me back up. Im on the 6:10 flight Fri. AM :thumb:

Turbodave
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a good time!

I moved this thread over to the events section for you.

turboaddict
03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
hmmmm i might do that..... lemme see how much the flight is one way .

Dr.Evil
03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I got a ticket for like 83 bux.

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
You WILL be putting up some pics from the event right?? Wish I was going, my S car has never run better...:(

Oh BTW, my Avatar is a pic from the staging lanes during MATS two years ago:)

mock_glh
03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm finally getting Ol' Ugly back together. I think I might make it. It went pretty well last year.:)
http://jamperformance.com/videos/MATS2006.wmv
Unfortunately Alan had a cracked intake manifold that baffled everyone all weekend.:(

Dr.Evil
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh, there will be pics! I have a gig stick for my camera, I plan to use it all. Also will be posting up vids of my dyno pulls and some vids from the track. I cant wait! Hope to see some of you guys there!

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm finally getting Ol' Ugly back together. I think I might make it. It went pretty well last year.:)
http://jamperformance.com/videos/MATS2006.wmv
Unfortunately Alan had a cracked intake manifold that baffled everyone all weekend.:(

Pretty well last year Boyd? Lets see who was the guy with the big money win in class:number1: ?

Dr.Evil
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Taking off for the event tomorrow AM...hope to see some of you there!

2.216VTurbo
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I'm in my hotel room in Horseshoe Bay TX, nice view out the window, green lawns, tall trees but what I'd rather be seeing is hard asphalt, tire smoke, and Mopars of every size shape and color. Wishing I was at MATS instead:( Take Pics and put them up here PLEASE!

Ondonti
03-29-2007, 11:18 PM
raining here so I didnt get the car together.

How is the weather down there in vegas?

altered7151
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll be in town picking up the new v-dub, so I'll at least make it to the cannery on saturday night.

Clay
03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Good friend of mine is going over to judge some, and work with Phil Painter the show owner (one of them).

My son has ruined my chances of going to MATS for a long time. His birthday is March 31! ;) So until he is old enough to travel well, I get to stay home, even though I have free travel to the show, free room, and free admittance from Phil.

2.216VTurbo
03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Good friend of mine is going over to judge some, and work with Phil Painter the show owner (one of them).

My son has ruined my chances of going to MATS for a long time. His birthday is March 31! ;) So until he is old enough to travel well, I get to stay home, even though I have free travel to the show, free room, and free admittance from Phil.

Don't get me wrong Clay, I think fatherhood is the best thing in the world; but sometimes it sucks:o Still I'm blaming my abscence this year on work...

Clay
03-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Don't get me wrong Clay, I think fatherhood is the best thing in the world; but sometimes it sucks:o Still I'm blaming my abscence this year on work...

hehehe...... well, at least Ill have an excuse for years go come. ;) Ahhhh I think in 2 or 3 we should be good to go! :thumb:

mock_glh
04-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Boy what a weekend! This year I drove up by myself Friday morning. My friend Jimmy (shelby5150) would be coming on Saturday with 2 guys who had to work Friday. Anyway I got the Omni ready Friday and made my first pass, 12.10 at 113 mph. Back in the pits, I popped the hood and there's oil all over the brake cylinder and everything around it. Damn, the same thing it did at Pomona before I replaced the block (cracked cylinder). The #1 cylinder was blowing by and fouling the plug so the piston (or rings) must be the problem. So I call my son at home and have him get the new piston and rings I had bought for it and get it ready for Jimmy to pick up. Then I put towels around the breather and dipstick to catch the spray and made my second pass for the day. 12.14 at 112 mph.

Saturday morning I called Jimmy to confirm that he had the piston and he did so I got the car ready and he arrived with it about 15 minutes later. Long story short, the job was done in 3 hours and I got 2 more passes, 12.20 and 12.14. The 12.10 pass from Friday was good enough to collect the $75 bounty for fastest qualifier. The rest of the field consisted of 13 other cars, including a low 12 sec SRT-4 (2005 winner), a couple of 13 sec cars (K-car, SRT-4), a few 14 sec cars, and several slower cars.

My Sunday success was short lived. My first round opponent red lighted and then I did the same in the second. Both runs were 12.14's at 113 mph. Meanwhile the car I wanted to beat went to the final before losing to the slowest car in the class.

As usual there were several converted FWD cars, including a Dayton , a Shadow, a Charger, and a LeBaron GTC. The Charger and LeBaron were the Super Pro finalists, with the Lebaron winning, running high 8 sec passes.
I had fun.:)

gvare001
04-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Impressive, congratulations!!!:thumb:

2.216VTurbo
04-03-2007, 12:50 PM
In case you guys missed this part, Boyd pulled the head and pan and changed out a piston in 3 hours, not in the comfort of some well equiped shop, but TRACKSIDE!:cool: :clap2: :rockon: :cheer2: :faint:

You rock Boyd! Now get back on the Rampage to make the Mopar Shootout event at Fontana in May. I'll have the GLHS there;)

ShelbyMotorsports
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
You rock Boyd! Now get back on the Rampage to make the Mopar Shootout event at Fontana in May. I'll have the GLHS there;)

Is this event the one thats part of Spring Fling this year?

johnl
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Another good showing for the TDs from Boyd. Low qualifier - :thumb: :thumb:

Dr.Evil
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Made it home in the R/T...Drove it 500 miles down, did some 10 dyno pulls, 6 passes at the strip on slicks, and drove it 500 miles home. One problem, the rear wheel bearing literaly ate itself, so I was stranded 120 miles outside of vegas. Got a ride back to vegas, found the parts at the junk yard for 22 bux, got back to the car and was back on the road with no more problems, even got 28MPG fully loaded doing around 90 the whole way home. It was an awesome event and I cant wait till next year. It was cool talking to all the TD guys that were there. 3 out of the 4 fastest FWD cars were older TD's...Boyd in the Omni running a 12.1, an N2O SRT-4 with something slightly slower, Clint in his blue K-car with a 13.4, and me in my R/T with a 13.5...followed by at least 5 SRT-4's, a PT and a nice red Shelby Lancer. Overall it was a great showing for the old school turbos. Pics to follow!

altered7151
04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey Matt, when Will and I were leaving the cannery parking lot there was a blue rampage on a trailer with california plates, do you know who that was?

2.216VTurbo
04-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Is this event the one thats part of Spring Fling this year?

Dunno for sure, they were your flyers you gave me:D

mock_glh
04-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Here are a few pics from the event.

Dr.Evil
04-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Hey Matt, when Will and I were leaving the cannery parking lot there was a blue rampage on a trailer with california plates, do you know who that was?

Not sure whos it is, didn't talk to them/see it run. Did see a for sale sign on it though in the pits...

2.216VTurbo
04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Hard to tell for sure from the single pic, but that looks like DC Rampage/Cal Look Rampage bodywork on that truck:wow1: Notice the 'wide' rear wheel skirt?

Boyd, about what are the skinnies worth on the rear of your Omni, ever done a back to back with them and stockers?

Was that Shannon from RedLine Gauges's Shelby Lancer?

Clay's convertor in the K car was toast last year and he still managed 13.70's, did someone report that he was 13.40's this year? That guy is cool, he offered to go yarding for an Air Intake Temp Sensor and Coolant Temp Sensor last year for the mysterious issue with the GLHS. He brought me back two at no charge;) Didn't help BTW:o

Thanks for the pics Boyd, is Jimmy doing another one of his sweet vids of the event???

ShelbyMotorsports
04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Dunno for sure, they were your flyers you gave me:D

Nope not the same. The Spring Fling Track Day is at Willow Springs.

mock_glh
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Boyd, about what are the skinnies worth on the rear of your Omni, ever done a back to back with them and stockers?

Clay's convertor in the K car was toast last year and he still managed 13.70's, did someone report that he was 13.40's this year?

Thanks for the pics Boyd, is Jimmy doing another one of his sweet vids of the event???

Every time I've run the skinnies I've had some kind of engine issue so I never saw any difference. I'll have to try a back to back on a good day.

Clay got a full manual automatic in his car and it worked pretty well. He did a 13,40, 13.50, 13.60,and 13,70 with it.:thumb:

Jimmy was shooting some video so we'll find out later what he got.