PDA

View Full Version : Map Sensor Location

CDNTurboZ
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Which is the better location? engine bay or passenger's side kick panel?

The reason I ask this is I recently bought a GLHS stage II LM for my 86 shelby charger, of course there is no map in it as I bought it brand new from the dealer. Now I can swap out one from one of my other LM's but I found something interesting in my old 86 turbo z, which was an 86 TI log car.

It had an aftermarket rebuilt LM (bluestreak electronics), but the map sensor was mounted in the engine bay. Its a chrysler MAP as there is a penstar on it and it was mounted separately on the passenger's side of the engine bay. You can tell it was added in after the fact as a new hole was drilled in the firewall.

So right now I can go either route.....

Clay
03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
There was a factory service bulletin to move the MAP from the stock location to the engine compartment because condensation buildup in the line to the MAP was causing problems. SO this could have been done to your Z. You could also by a kit from Chrysler to do the same thing.

CDNTurboZ
03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll probably put the MAP in the engine bay then, it will be alot easier to run the vacuum line to it, and now I only have to run one vacuum line into the car for the boost gauge.

Marcus86GLHS
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
"....it will be alot easier to run the vacuum line to it,......."

for sure, but then what about the wiring from the logic module to the MAP sensor? that will have to be extended which I would think is more of a hassle than leaving the stock MAP vacuum line in your shelby charger.

CDNTurboZ
03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
"....it will be alot easier to run the vacuum line to it,......."

for sure, but then what about the wiring from the logic module to the MAP sensor? that will have to be extended which I would think is more of a hassle than leaving the stock MAP vacuum line in your shelby charger.

The daytona I have since parted but I kept the map sensor and the wire and the plugs(even the little grommet that passes through the firewall). So I bascially have the entire conversion kit to relocate the map sensor.

cordes
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
The daytona I have since parted but I kept the map sensor and the wire and the plugs(even the little grommet that passes through the firewall). So I bascially have the entire conversion kit to relocate the map sensor.

Put it under the hood then. No reason to keep it in the kick panel if you don't have to.

JDAWG
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
The kit form Chrysler is ns1 now anyways. I had the very last one left at my dealership and sold it to another dealer. Stick it under the hood anyways

CDNTurboZ
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I dug up the map sensor and everything, and there is a solenoid attached to the bottom, I am assuming that this is for an 87 TII then?

edit: I just noticed that the vacuum nipple on the map sensor goes to one of the ports on this solenoid.

here you can see it mounted in the daytona:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/IMG_0101a.JPG

CDNTurboZ
03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have a pic of a TII map sensor and solenoid? I have never seen one and I want to compare it with mine

tryingbe
03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
TII map sensor and soleniod is the same thing as TI map sensor and solenoid, except L-bodies.