PDA

View Full Version : Engine does not seem level

firebaron90
03-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey all, well I am working hard to get my car done for SDAC. I had put the engine from my baron, into this daytona a couple of years ago, and I just noticed that the engine seems to be higher on the passenger side, than on the driver's side. Is there an adjustment i missed when installing the engine? The passenger side mount is not upside down, and the spacers are there. ANy thoughts??

joe

shelby zed
03-17-2007, 12:06 AM
probly saggin motor mounts, fix it fast or yuoll go through cvs

BadAssPerformance
03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Make sure the drivers side trans mount is not busted like he said, also, double check that the passenger side motor mount is not upside down, I've put them in upside down before on accident, I think we all have, LOL...

Correct side up

....../--------\
.....|............|
-==|.....O.....|==
.....|............|
.....|............|
......\_______/

ascii art rulez! =)

slasky
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
When my passenger's side looked higher the driver's side mount was busted

turbovanman²
03-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I have noticed some cars do seem to sit higher on the passenger side, even with new mounts???

BadAssPerformance
03-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Joe, you got pics for us?

cordes
03-17-2007, 03:21 PM
My omni had the trans mount bolt through the gap in the rubber rather than the metal bushing in the bracket. that made for some wicked torque steer until I fixed it.

firebaron90
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I will try to take some picts tomorrow. The front and passenger mounts are both new poly bushings mounts. The trans mount is the stock one. Maybe it is trashed??? I will have to take a close look tomorrow. Hmm, this has me perplexed. Thanks for the food for thought!

joe

BadAssPerformance
03-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The poly mounts do not sag much at all so if you have a poly mount on the pass side but a used rubber one on the drivers side, it could be good, but sags a little.

I would not recommend running a poly one side and not the other cuz the non-poly one will take all the abuse instead of them sharing it. Solid (or poly) front mount and rubber side mounts for a street car or drag car. ALL poly for an Auto X or road racer.

turbovanman²
03-18-2007, 04:27 AM
I ran MP's hard front and right side mounts, stock tranny mount and it was fine.

BadAssPerformance
03-18-2007, 11:05 AM
MP's are just stiff rubber, not urethane...

GLHNSLHT2
03-18-2007, 11:27 AM
HAHAHAHHA See the PB bushings passenger mount hole isn't in the stock location! Which one of their mounts is though.:rolleyes: :confused: :banghead: :mad: :faint: Yes I feel strongly that this is F'ING STUPID to do on any of the mounts! So you need to take the spacers out for that side of the motor to sit properly.

firebaron90
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/3565.html

This one. So i need to remove the spacers with this mount?? That would seem to make sense as that would bring the motor closer to level.

Can Johny chime in and confirm this??

firebaron90
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Holy S%^$!!!!

I think you have the answer....from the PB site.....

Lower the jack to let the mount
settle into position. Be careful of
the “spacers” that go under the
mount tabs if your car came with
them.

If you are using a polyurethane
mount you may not need the spacrs,
as it does not sag like the soft rubber
mount.

Look at the level of the engine to
decide.

GLHNSLHT2
03-18-2007, 12:01 PM
has nothing to do with the mounts sagging. I've seen a brand new MP pass mount and a PB mount side by side. The whole is off exactly the amount of those spacers. In fact if you want 4 corner poly in an Lbody you can use 2 PB passenger mounts but you put the spacers on the tranny side with an early Lbody tranny mount. It's stupid. Keep the hole in the stock location. There's a reason it's there. But anyway that's how you fix it for the passenger side.

turbovanman²
03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
MP's are just stiff rubber, not urethane...

I know so whats the issue?

has nothing to do with the mounts sagging. I've seen a brand new MP pass mount and a PB mount side by side. The whole is off exactly the amount of those spacers. In fact if you want 4 corner poly in an Lbody you can use 2 PB passenger mounts but you put the spacers on the tranny side with an early Lbody tranny mount. It's stupid. Keep the hole in the stock location. There's a reason it's there. But anyway that's how you fix it for the passenger side.

Why the negativity? someone stepped up to make some decent mounts and he decided to make them so you don't need shims? most of the cars are missing them anyway and the other half don't even know there needed?

GLHNSLHT2
03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
cause some cars have shims from the factory, some don't. If you keep it stock then you apply it to the car you're working on. It's not just the pass mount or the mounts only. It's lots of the products there. Great ideas and ability to get stuff made, but poor engineering.

firebaron90
03-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Here are some picts: use the strut bar as a level line, and you can see the passenger side is slightly higher. I will be removing the shims.

Joe