PDA

View Full Version : Quieting down the exhaust?

iangoround
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I just got pulled over again for having a loud exhaust on my car. The officer seemed like a nice guy, gave me a little talking to about non-stock exhaust systems, and told me to get a "real" muffler. I think maybe he just wanted to see what the car was as I didn't get a ticket, but still...I'm tired of getting hassled once a month.

Currently the car has a 2.5" downpipe connected to a 3"catback from TU with their 3" cat and 3" magnaflow muffler.

What can I do to quiet it down a little without imposing a huge restriction in the system? Different muffler perhaps?

Anonymous_User
03-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Sounds like your going to have to install a quiet muffler. Maybe get yourself a cutout so you can open it up when you want the power and the police aren't nearby.

iangoround
03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Any suggestions for a quiet muffler? I could run a cutout, but I'd have to remember to remove it once a year for inspection. Isn't there some Warlock muffler that has a cap on the end you can uncork to make it straight through? How are those?

Frank
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Leave the muffler. I would put a cap on the exhaust like the Warlock does.

Anonymous_User
03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Anybody ever run a supertrapp? They have discs you add for louder/less back pressure. Remove them for quieter.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I really liked the Super 40 Flowmaster, was quieter than my Magnaflow and on the dyno, didn't cost that much power.

One customer has a Hooker Aerochamber on, seems to work fine and is quiet, Gary used the Hooker ProFlow in his van, straight thru design but was very quiet.

daytonaturbo87
03-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I like this chart, gives you an idea of what to expect from other mufflers:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/3366387-Mufflerflowchart.gif

D1A8J
03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
u could always sell me ur muffler and get a diff 1 !!!

- Dave

GLHNSLHT2
03-16-2007, 09:17 PM
you got pulled over with a Muffler AND A CAT?? Jeeze. Is it an auto? i've got a 2.5" ported turbonetics SV off a S60 turbo into a TU 3" downpipe just running straight out the side. I've taken off right beside cops with the exhaust pointing at them and never gotten more than a look.

iangoround
03-16-2007, 11:10 PM
nope, manual trans. its weird. sometimes the car is ungodly loud, othertimes its whisper quiet. I don't know what the deal is. Next paycheck I'm going to go to a shop and have them weld up the system. Those bandclamps from TU don't seem to seal very well.

2.216VTurbo
03-17-2007, 12:29 AM
nope, manual trans. its weird. sometimes the car is ungodly loud, othertimes its whisper quiet. I don't know what the deal is. Next paycheck I'm going to go to a shop and have them weld up the system. Those bandclamps from TU don't seem to seal very well.

The custom 2.5 SS system on my Shelby Lancer was like that, sometimes loud, sometimes a bit quieter. I finally figured out the sound was related to how full the gas tank was. Empty tank made for a resonator of sorts and exhaust was loud, full tank deadend the sound very noticably.

I ditched the cat and put a single chamber 'race' Flowmaster in it's place and that quieted thing down a bunch:thumb: full or empty...

monkeymodulator
04-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately I have the same police harassment dilemma and I have a full 3" with a warlock. I just love driving through Merchantville and having to push in the clutch or drive in 5th gear doing 30mph while I pass every cop. We have a nickname for one of them, ticketron, nice huh. Last time it happened the douche gave me a half a$$ vehicle inspection trying to catch me on something else. God I hate NJ, and our governor can do 90mph, crash without a seatbelt, and blame it on a phantom pickup truck running him off the road. ugh... I don't remember the last time I took the plug out of the warlock and it sucks because there is still such a large difference in flow rate. I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I may just change the catback to stock diameter with a lame muffler, weld in a 3" cutout before the cat, make my own cutout valve with a high speed servo (the QTP valve has a ghey slow gear motor), and control the servo by tps with a manual over ride switch for constant on. I've found some servos that should open 90 degrees in less then 100 miliseconds which is fast enough for me. I think the cheapest way to make the valve is to adapt a 75 or 80mm throttle body. It should hold up fine to the heat, maybe lubricate with a nickel based anti seize (rated 2600F). Any opinions?

AL

ssheen
04-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I am curious to hear how well it works for you when get it done.

turboaddict
04-27-2007, 11:08 PM
i was looking at the same question, greddy makes the evo line of exhaust that produces signifigantly less db at idle and cruise, but makes no difference (2 whp)
back to back with a much louder system. im talking 90 ish db. the downside is i cant find the can by itself.
how quiet is the hooker maxflo? what about the aerochamber?

contraption22
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I would recommend a Magnaflow muffler. Its failry quiet at part-throttle and idle.

dds78910
04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Some of the dynomax staight through mufflers have a silencer inside to quiet it down. I use to have on on my car it looked really nice and it barley had any tone, and when it was on full throttle all you would hear is a massive "SWOOSH" sound, just the sound of air being forced out really fast. I sounded really good, everyone seemed to like it.