PDA

View Full Version : Need a VNT Custom Cal

bobintrees
03-15-2007, 11:32 PM
I need to purchase a custom cal for my VNT and I am looking for options/opinions.

I would like to do my own, but I have not seen any info on the VNT cal.

Does anyone have any experience with fwdp's VNT cals?

It doesn't look like TU is doing cals right, so that is out.

Any other options?

Thanks,
Bobby

cordes
03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I believe that Rob has posted one in the code repository on the site. All you need is a burner, and eraser, and some chips to get started.

Whorse
03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I have seen one car run on the Stage 3 cal with a VNT 28 and it was excellent. There are very very few custom cals for the VNT and they are often quite lucrative or hard to get ahold of, and most of the cal guys that do them freelance don't do VNT work. A stock VNT cal with the T2 fuel curves is already a huge improvement.

ShelGame
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I have seen one car run on the Stage 3 cal with a VNT 28 and it was excellent. There are very very few custom cals for the VNT and they are often quite lucrative or hard to get ahold of, and most of the cal guys that do them freelance don't do VNT work. A stock VNT cal with the T2 fuel curves is already a huge improvement.

I could do one. I don't think it's too difficult. The problem is, I don't understand exactly how the VNT boost control code works. So, setting a higher boost setpoint and corresponding VNT "WG" duty cycle is iffy to me. I could probably do somethign like a 14psi cal, pretty easy. But 3-bar - that would be harder to figure out.

I can for sure do the timing and fuel changes. The fuel is pretty close to the MP T2 as-is. But, the VNT timing curves are pretty conservative comapared to the MP T2.

What all would you want in it? I can build one and then post it here in the repository for anyone to try...

bobintrees
03-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, that is my setup, T28 , 3 bar, +20%s, g head.

I had a TU cal for it, but it stopped working. It can't trigger the ASD relay and the Tach bounces up and down. If there is a way to save it, that would be ideal. Is there a way to get the hot glue off the chip without damaging it?

Thanks for the help.
Bobby

ShelGame
03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Sounds like the computer went bad. If the chip is still OK, you can save it and transfer it to another ECU. Hot glue usually just peels off.

Frank
03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
You could also make sure all the solder is still contacting everything?

bobintrees
03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks Rob, I will give that a try.

I will check the solder joints too.

I am worried about getting the glue off and ripping off other components, because I tried a little and it is stuck there pretty good.

TurboJerry
04-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Just try the chip in another board. I had bad boards a few times. Try heat to get the glue soft enough to peel off. A hair drier set on a low setting should work.