PDA

View Full Version : IC question

gti_7
03-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi guys

This might be an elementary question for most. So i apologize in advance :D

PT GT and SRT4 Intercooler; How much do they differ? I noticed the endtanks are different, but do they have different cooling limits and efficiencies?

Thanks for your help :)
bernard

mpboost
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I believe the PT uses a shorter core length, and it is also bar/plate style while the SRT is tube/fin style.

I would guess they both have different cooling efficiencies.

gti_7
03-17-2007, 02:08 AM
I believe the PT uses a shorter core length, and it is also bar/plate style while the SRT is tube/fin style.

I would guess they both have different cooling efficiencies.

Really? very strange that ma mopar would put a better design with a shorter core on the pt, while they used a larger core with a tub fin design on their bread and butter srt4..

I supposed the pt coming out first might have been a reason and they went with a tube fin design for cost?

but then again, would a bar and plate small core cool just as well as a larger core tube fin? unless of course the srt4 hass an extrude tube fin design?

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It was very helpful.. i would never have guessed the PT was given a Bar/Plate IC!

bernard

contraption22
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Really? very strange that ma mopar would put a better design with a shorter core on the pt, while they used a larger core with a tub fin design on their bread and butter srt4..

I supposed the pt coming out first might have been a reason and they went with a tube fin design for cost?

but then again, would a bar and plate small core cool just as well as a larger core tube fin? unless of course the srt4 hass an extrude tube fin design?

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It was very helpful.. i would never have guessed the PT was given a Bar/Plate IC!

bernard

It probably has something to do with ambietnt airflow. Bar/plate coolers are not a good thing to have in front of your radiator. Tube/fin coolers allow more air to pass thru it.

NeonShowCar
03-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Yes the end tanks are different. The SRT is more efficient actually, the end tanks flow better then the PT end tanks. Alot of that had to do with packaging for the PT Turbo.

When I had my PT Turbo, I worked with CCA to build a custom 3.5" core intercooler. It was a great unit, bar/plate.

You might want to go talk to the guys over at www.ptcrew.com this is where all the PT Turbo gearheads hang out. Some of the PT turbos are in the low 12's, possible 11's by now (haven't check out the site in some time).

gti_7
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
MPBoost, Contraption22 and NeonShowCar :thumb:

thanks for your advice and for the link to the ptcrew website. I am going to see whats over there now learn some more. Im looking for an option for intercooling over running two stockers mainly for the simplicity of plumbing and tight working environment. Two pipes are easier to work with than four!

I was in real disbelief about the difference and wondered why they would put an inferior cooler in the srt4 yet offer it with more power.

I then learned about the "extrude" tube and fin design and its advantage over the bar and plate style cooler mainly that of weight and efficiency read: velocity.. though many say the bar and plate design does still offer more cooling and less pressure drop over the tube fin, but its not as good at having air rush through it fast enough causing slight lag or something like that..

tube fin is also less expensive to manufacture as well.. this is all of course my understanding on the subject from reading up on it. i could have it mixed up.. much like a lot of other things going on these days lol :D

So thanks again for your help..

bernard