PDA

View Full Version : another dcal chem2 question

wowzer
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
with all the hoopla going on re: the new chem2 i need some clarification (again) since i have managed to confuse myself.

i have an 89 smec t1 (2.5l). why would i use chem2? isn't that for an 89 smec t2(2.2l)? i'm aware that chem2 can automagically scale injectors and easily account for map sensor changes. however, wouldn't i still need to adjust the timing curves, redo the physical wastegate solenoid plumbing, and wire in a charge temp sensor to make it work on my t1? seems like alot of unnecessary work, especially since rob has provided all of the modified cals already. is the 89 smec t2 code superior to the t1 code in someway that would make it "justifiable" to move to that code base?:confused:

lametec
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
The reason for using ChEM is that you can modify the cal yourself to suit your needs.

Not only can you change fuel/timimg/etc/etc, but you can even add your own pieces of code if you're familiar with assembler programming. Examples of this is the CEL flash on knock detect and staging-mod rev limiter.

Aries_Turbo
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
wowzer, you can use ChEM2 as an editor but youll have to convert your table file to a .calx file (geoff has a utility to do this. I only got it to work with win98 though) and your best bet is to start off with one of rob's cals in the repository here. if you wanted the launch limiter (rob already has the cel flash iirc) it would be some work to change all the 89T2 values to work with a 2.5L... i know... im still working on making a good 87 2.5L cal out of the blueberry code... its some work but it will pay off in the end at least for me and those with 87 LM's.

ChEM2 does have the benefit of the sweet af calcs built in. i am using a combo of dcal and chem2.

Brian

wowzer
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
it would be some work to change all the 89T2 values to work with a 2.5L... i know... im still working on making a good 87 2.5L cal out of the blueberry code... its some work but it will pay off in the end at least for me and those with 87 LM's.

ChEM2 does have the benefit of the sweet af calcs built in. i am using a combo of dcal and chem2.

Brian

i've been following your chem posts aries_turbo and appreciate your work. other than the a/f and "easier" fuel scaling, i still don't understand the draw to the smec t2 code. i already am using a slightly modified rob cal on my t1 that has the cel and high speed logging. it seems the simple solution to me would be to have geoff disassemble the t1 code like the t2 code and the td community could then choose which one to work with that best suits their needs. unless, again the t2 code is "better".

another question then, can a 2.5 t1 run the chem2 t2 code as is (assuming you scale the injectors), or will the timing stuff cause too many problems? i'd try it but my t1 is apart for rod bearings.

Aries_Turbo
03-17-2007, 09:37 PM
i hear the t1 code is better...

yeah the timing will be a little too aggressive with the 2.2 stuff... you can always do the distributor twist... or you can overlay robs 2.5L cal (just change the names of the tables to match so you can overlay in d-cal) but you still have to make a bunch of other little fuel changes, pumping efficiency changes and adaptive changes.

rob has done the adaptive changes for me so far as I dont know exactly what to change.

Brian