PDA

View Full Version : Mount question?

MrRide2Low
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm a week or two i'm going to start swaping a 2.0 dohc into my l-body, my question is what about the mounting options, front,rear,and side? i know they tranny will work but i'm just curious about the block mounting?, I can weld but don't want to if i don't have to.

TurbododgePirate
03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm a week or two i'm going to start swaping a 2.0 dohc into my l-body, my question is what about the mounting options, front,rear,and side? i know they tranny will work but i'm just curious about the block mounting?, I can weld but don't want to if i don't have to.

Okay, well to put a 2.4 in a neon you need the drop mount so I assume that all you would need for a 2.0 DOHC is a neon mount bolted on top of the existing mount tabs. As for the tranny, you know that if you are using a auto, you need the turbododge 413 bracket, not the stock neon bracket. I don't know of ANYONE who has put a NVT350 in theirs yet, I am still waiting to get my motor to try it out. I will take pics when I do.

AS for the front I have heard many suggestions. I believe speedeuphoria did an excellent writeup that talks about a rear-mount from a 2.4 caravan, but don't quote me on that.

Also many of these questions are covered in other threads. The search button can be helpful.

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Well i'm going to use the A525 for the moment till i get a a523, as for searching i've one planty of it and there is nothing specific to the 2.0 engine into a l-body, simular things but not definitive. thanx

Frank
03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
See if this helps at all...
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=47

Speedeuphoria
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
are you using the mitsu 2.0?

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
no, the crysler one, the 420a from the eclipse/talon 2gn/t's and the 2.0 dohc neons

Speedeuphoria
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
when you say front and rear, what do you mean?

when I say front its the one to the core support, rear= trans to k frame, pass and driver side.

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah, thats what i mean, the one to the core is my biggest concern

Speedeuphoria
03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
look at this guys thread, he made his own
http://www.turbo-2.com/forum/index.php?topic=162.0

I tweaked a 96 caravan 2.4 mount(bracket/leg off the block) to work w/ the stock rubber/poly square mount on the core. I'm not sure that the mounting holes on the 2.0 are the same?

other guys took both factory mounts and combined them to work. So take the stock 2.0 bracket on block and the original td bracket and cut them and splice together(weld) then use the factory rubber on core

heres a pic of mine
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture084.jpg

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
ok, so make my own? got it, cool, i was try to avoid it but oh well.
Any ideas if i use the dropped side bracket for the 2.4 conversion or not?

Speedeuphoria
03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
look at the last one I added a pic of mine(again L bodies have different mounts, Ive never seen them but people talked about it. Actually heres another idea
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10378

what do you mean drop( I know that the neon guys use them and flip the trans mount to clear the hood.

I bought a toomanyneons adapter from neons.org and used teh stratus bracket on the block, then drilled a larger hole in the factory rubber mount on the pass side, I left the trans mount stock.

Heres the thread that I started when I 1st got mine fitted
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114648

rbryant
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Well i'm going to use the A525 for the moment till i get a a523, as for searching i've one planty of it and there is nothing specific to the 2.0 engine into a l-body, simular things but not definitive. thanx

Dude, you will blow up the POS 525 the first time you drop the clutch hard with a 16V engine. If not then you are wasting your time in even building the 16V engine because you aren't even makeing TII type power.

I would go with a junkyard unknown 523 before I would bother even putting a 525 in an lbody especially if you are doing a bigtime custom job.

Using the 525 for mockup purposes might be valuable... Why not unbolt the diff and take out all of the gears that way it is light and easy to put in and out due to the weight savings while you are mocking things up. It would also stop you from trying to use the darn thing. ;)

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 04:12 PM
thats not to bad of a idea to gut it for mock uo but around here it's hard to find a junk yard that even has a TM car. and the junkyards here really badly over price stuff.

Turbodave
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Dude, you will blow up the POS 525 the first time you drop the clutch hard with a 16V engine. If not then you are wasting your time in even building the 16V engine because you aren't even makeing TII type power.

He didn't mention whether the engine will be turbocharged, a 525 woud probaby hold up fine behind a stock naturally aspirated 2.4.

If it's a turbocharged 2.4, all I can say is we want to see pictures of the carnage when it goes...:D

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm going to be running a 2.0 N/A for the moment, untill my 60 trim srt setup is ready. Will the 525 hold up to a 2.0 N/A with spirted driving?

rbryant
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
thats not to bad of a idea to gut it for mock uo but around here it's hard to find a junk yard that even has a TM car. and the junkyards here really badly over price stuff.

What compression will you be running? If you are running a ~8.5:1 turbo piston compression then the 525 will hold up while you are in NA form because the engine will be a dog.

A NA 2.0 DOHC with 8.5:1 It will definately have less torque than a stock T1 even with 100% volumetric efficiency so unless you rev the snot out of it I am not sure you will be doing any spirited driving anyway. :)

If you are running higher compression then you could break the 525 in NA form but will need a different setup to make big power because your boost will have to be limited to under 10psi. The 525 will probably hold up

The 525 was designed for an engine that made 75hp and 90ft*lb of torque. It eventually handled 175 in the GLHS but not well or for long if driven hard. Some people might argue this but it is VERY clear that it is much weaker than all of the other 2.2/2.5 transmissions.

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm going to be running around 9.6 : 1 comp with 93 octane(yeah we got it) and might add a shot of NAWZ(No2)
And i'm a bit confused about you sayin that you don't think i will be doing any spirted driving, because i race every weekend and i'm even on a show that is currently being filmed for ESPN2. Not to mention i kinda have a reputation for my extreme driving around where i live, and i have never once wrecked. Sorry if i sound mean

rbryant
03-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm going to be running around 9.6 : 1 comp with 93 octane(yeah we got it) and might add a shot of NAWZ(No2)
And i'm a bit confused about you sayin that you don't think i will be doing any spirted driving, because i race every weekend and i'm even on a show that is currently being filmed for ESPN2. Not to mention i kinda have a reputation for my extreme driving around where i live, and i have never once wrecked. Sorry if i sound mean

Hehe.

I said that if it is a low compression 2.0 then you won't e doing any spirited driving...

The fact that you have a higher compression engine changes that statement.

If you have a higher compression 2.0 then you have much more of an engine.

Unless you plan on changing out the pistons then you probably don't want to put a turbo on that higher compressin engien engine anyway. Granted it will be ok up to 10psi but by the time you get to 15 it will be harder to make power with 9.5:1 pistons than 8.5:1 pistons. I never used to understand why until I thought about the fact that you just can't intercool compression (without N20, water injection, etc) which makes for more detonation.

Anyway sorry I didn't mean to offend you.

The fact remains. If you make power (mainly torque) you will break the 525 it is only a matter of time.

Mine broke on a stock T1 and locked up both front tires and left all of the oil in the road. Never again will I use a 525 on anything.

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Sorry to sound kinda snappy, just a long day. Yeah, No boost for this engine. The shitty stock pistons won't take more than 8lb before they begin to shear-off from detonation. They made them from 12 precent silicon which make them very sensitive to knock. The boost will come when the 2.4 is in, but that will have a 523 behind it.

rbryant
03-23-2007, 05:48 PM
He didn't mention whether the engine will be turbocharged, a 525 woud probaby hold up fine behind a stock naturally aspirated 2.4.

If it's a turbocharged 2.4, all I can say is we want to see pictures of the carnage when it goes...:D

It would probably hold up for a little while on a 2.4 NA. Remeber that those things make like 150HP, 167ft*lbs of torque... Very similar to a stock T1.

Behind a stock 2.0 NA it would hold up just fine.

Anything beyond that and it would break NA or turbo!

Unless it is fun for people doing an engine swap to something more complex than a TII swap in order to make under 200/200 seems like a huge waste of time peformance wise. With that assumption a 525 just sucks.

I agree though pictures would be fun to see.

-Rich

rbryant
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Sorry to sound kinda snappy, just a long day. Yeah, No boost for this engine. The shitty stock pistons won't take more than 8lb before they begin to shear-off from detonation. They made them from 12 precent silicon which make them very sensitive to knock. The boost will come when the 2.4 is in, but that will have a 523 behind it.

Now that is more of a plan as a mock up for the 2.4 turbo!

Still you are going to make less reliable power with the 2.0 and stock pistons than you would a TII engine with the same power adders IMO. You might make great power but then again you might go boom. Is that ok with you? :)

As a starting point for the 2.4 conversion then I see how it makes sense and you can keep the 525 but if you go beyond the 200/200 power level you will break it.

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
well the main reason i'm not going to a tII is i'm starting with a TBI car and i already have everything i need just laying in my garage and plenty of them to spare. Engine,harness,ecu,ect... I've been into the 2Gn/t and Neon world for quite a while, so i have stock piled plenty of 2.0 stuff

rbryant
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
well the main reason i'm not going to a tII is i'm starting with a TBI car and i already have everything i need just laying in my garage and plenty of them to spare. Engine,harness,ecu,ect... I've been into the 2Gn/t and Neon world for quite a while, so i have stock piled plenty of 2.0 stuff

That is very valid.

I think 2.2 turbo since I have that stuff hence my bias. Overall the TII conversion is easier but if you have everything for a 2.0 then that makes sense (a lot of cents).

I am about to stat looking into a 2.4 turbo conversion since I am not thrilled with my last 2.2 build and want something new.

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
yeah, well i'm quite into the 2.0 motor, we've been racing the same one for 4 years with the stock bottom end in a neon ACR that runs the same times as our 300hp srt, alot of that is weight redux.

rbryant
03-23-2007, 06:38 PM
yeah, well i'm quite into the 2.0 motor, we've been racing the same one for 4 years with the stock bottom end in a neon ACR that runs the same times as our 300hp srt, alot of that is weight redux.

Let me guess... Your favorite cheese is swiss right? ;)

Good luck with the project! The lbody should be even lighter than your neon.

-Rich

MrRide2Low
03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
i hope so
weight = gay