PDA

View Full Version : 84 TurboZ -- Code 42 (ASD?) and no start

riceboyler
01-23-2006, 09:34 AM
clocktowersnipr delivered my TurboZ this weekend (and picked up CSX #657) and I can't get the thing running. Saturday, I replaced the fuel pump (twice, the first one was bad) as he told me the car was having problems starting and running without spraying fuel in the throttle body, indicating there was some sort of fuel issue. He assumed fuel pump (and that made sense to me as well). So I replaced it, I have pressure at the rail, but now when I try to start it, I get a code 42, which I believe is ASD (autoshutdown) relay related.

Looking at other "sources", I found that generally that's caused by the power modules in these cars, so I swapped power modules, and no change. I figured I'd see if it was the logic module, so I swapped that as well, no change. I checked the HEP as I was getting (at times) a code 11 as well, which would indicate HEP failure. I swapped it out and cleaned the contacts on the rotor button. Still nothing.

The car will stutter/stumble if I spray Ether in the TB, but will never fully start. I will be checking fuel pressure this weekend when I get back to the car (it's at my in-laws 50 miles away), to see if there's something wrong there possibly, but I'm wondering if anybody has any insight on Code 42.

(Oh, and I checked the fusible links as well, but it doesn't seem like any of them are bad. I pulled on them, and no rubber band feel.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (And I'll be replacing the cap, rotor button, wires and plugs this weekend when I actually have some money.)

SwiftTech
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Jason,
84 daytona's use an external fuel pump relay. It is located above the logic module. I will post an image soon that shows where it is. Make sure to double check it.

SwiftTech
01-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Here is the pic. let me know if you need the wiring diagram for it.

edit: sorry about the goast image behind it. lmk if it is unclear.

riceboyler
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the post. Is that the ASD itself? I found out from Russ Knize's site that in the 84 electronics, the ASD relay is outboard of the PM, unlike 85-87 until the SMEC.

I'm gonna be checking this out on Friday. Thanks for the post! :thumb:

SwiftTech
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
well its listed as the fuel pump relay but I think it is the ASD because I haven't found any mention of the ASD in the manual. I'll keep looking though to make sure.