PDA

View Full Version : New Header Project

87csx2.4
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I decided to build my own manifold instead of using the obx,it seemed like it would be too thin walled.This is what I have so far its slightly offset so my downpipe will still work.Im going to angle the collector towards the head and if my measurements are right it should clock the turbo tighter to the engine than my log did.All the runners are 13 3/4 inches except number 1 its 14 1/2 inches.

Directconnection
03-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Good job so far!

How is this going to clear your firewall, though?

turboking
03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Very nice. What diameter pipe are u using. Were did u get that header flange?

glhs875
03-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Looking good!!! That should be an improvement over the log style you had.

87csx2.4
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Good job so far!

How is this going to clear your firewall, though?With the persuasian of a sledge hammer.:eyebrows: No it clears my firewall with about 2 inches to spare,but its already been bumped in slightly.The pic makes it look like it way out there but it actually is only 10 1/2 inches to the outside from the head.

glhs875
03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I smell some 6 second ET's @ 100+MPH!! :thumb:

87csx2.4
03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Very nice. What diameter pipe are u using. Were did u get that header flange?1 1/2 ID schedule 40 weld els and I bought the flange from a guy who's user name is typert,its a very nice piece and a very good price.thanks for the compliment.

87csx2.4
03-13-2007, 07:25 PM
I smell some 6 second ET's @ 100+MPH!! :thumb:It better or the nx kit is going on.:yuck:

glhs875
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
It better or the nx kit is going on.:yuck:

You may need the NO2 to keep up with me!!! :lol:

87csx2.4
03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
You may need the NO2 to keep up with me!!! :lol:I cant wait to see how my car is going to act with this manifold and the other changes it should be interesting.

glhs875
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I cant wait to see how my car is going to act with this manifold and the other changes it should be interesting.

Yes it will be interesting. If the header helps a bunch that will definitely be one of my next projects. Got to fix all the damage and get what I have now working like it supposed too first!!

Speedeuphoria
03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice:thumb:

Russ Jerome
03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
I decided to build my own manifold .

I like it, looks great so far! Same concept here I just finished
the complete exhaust system ;)
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/coltpage3.html

GLHS592
03-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Kevin, do you need any help? I want to come over and check it out.

87csx2.4
03-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Kevin, do you need any help? I want to come over and check it out.I should be able to finish it this weekend hopefully,I get to work on it when there is nothing else going on,which isn't very often.Yeah come on by and check it out,I bought my son a 1990 vnt you need to see too,thats whats been taking up most of my time.I had planned on hving this done by now.

turboshad
03-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Almost exactly what I was working on. This is mine with an HE351. Plane 2 is 10" from the header mounting face and plane 4 is 1" from the header mounting face. With my engine mounted I measured 10" from the header face to the firewall and 9" from the VC lip to the firewall so this should all fit. Obviously I'm not completely done but I just need to lower runners 1 and 4 to meet up with the flange and then equal things out by lengthening the intermediate pipes in runners 2 and 3. The flange is at 55deg to the mounting surface and the header was designed with 1.5" short radius weld els.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/2-3.jpg

DJ

Sorry, almost forgot to say yours is looking :thumb:

ohiorob
03-14-2007, 11:02 AM
look's nice Kevin :thumb:

87csx2.4
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Almost exactly what I was working on. This is mine with an HE351. Plane 2 is 10" from the header mounting face and plane 4 is 1" from the header mounting face. With my engine mounted I measured 10" from the header face to the firewall and 9" from the VC lip to the firewall so this should all fit. Obviously I'm not completely done but I just need to lower runners 1 and 4 to meet up with the flange and then equal things out by lengthening the intermediate pipes in runners 2 and 3. The flange is at 55deg to the mounting surface and the header was designed with 1.5" short radius weld els.

DJ

Sorry, almost forgot to say yours is looking :thumb:Thanks,yep they're pretty close to the same thing and that is exactly how my turbo is going to be sitting.What car are you using this on?I have my firewall pushed in slightly already so I know it wont hit,the turbo is actually going to be farther away from the firewall than it was before.I had to offset it to the driver's side about 2 inches so my downpipe wasn't so close to the power steering pump.I still havent quite figured out where Im going to put the wastegate yet,I was thinking out the back I still have to do so test fitting.

Frank
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
How are you doing the collector? (you know me. ;) )

turboshad
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
What car are you using this on?

Mine is going on a Shadow so I don't know how close that is to a Daytona.

I had to offset it to the driver's side about 2 inches so my downpipe wasn't so close to the power steering pump.

I have a feeling I will be doing the same thing. I need to weld on the 4" bend and take a closer look.

I still havent quite figured out where Im going to put the wastegate yet,I was thinking out the back I still have to do so test fitting.

I will be using the internal gate in the Holset so I may still have to do some work to get the canister to clear but it will be very doable.

Overall I think we will be ending up with a very similar product.

DJ

87csx2.4
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
How are you doing the collector? (you know me. ;) )Something simular to the one on this page unless you've got a better Idea.http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

Frank
03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
This would be a better collector if possible. http://www.amsperformance.com/store/images/tn_AMS%20SRT4%20T3T4%20Exhuast%20MANIFOLD.JPG

If you were to do a angle cut on each of your four current runners, then do the same cut on some short pieces, you could achieve the same thing. I personally hate the collector on the sdsefi website

87csx2.4
03-15-2007, 07:04 AM
I was going to make a collector like the ams,the only problem might be the angle that the turbo needs to sit.What is the problem with the one on the sds site people have been using that style for years without a problem and had some good results.Remember Im not building an f1 car here.

87csx2.4
03-15-2007, 03:44 PM
If you were to do a angle cut on each of your four current runners, then do the same cut on some short pieces, you could achieve the same thing.Ive been looking into collector designs and I believe you're right Im going to build a simular one to the ams except the turbo needs to be angled towards the head.

Frank
03-15-2007, 03:56 PM
My only thing is the big change in volume from the runners to the SDSEFI collector. yes it works but is way less efficent for similar amount of work. If you could tweak the volume and shape to be a better transition then the SDSEFI, then you could do that too.

But good deal and nicely done!

Frank

Skibbe
03-15-2007, 05:38 PM

DJ

Sorry, almost forgot to say yours is looking :thumb:

Don't forget that our engines are tipped back, so that the plane of the firewall is not parallel to the plane of the flange on the head. The turbo may be closer to the firewall than it appears in the model, if you only measured the one spot from flange to firewall.

turboshad
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Don't forget that our engines are tipped back, so that the plane of the firewall is not parallel to the plane of the flange on the head. The turbo may be closer to the firewall than it appears in the model, if you only measured the one spot from flange to firewall.

That is a great point. I actually hadn't forgot but with the space I had and the flexibilty to change the flange angle I knew I would be OK once I checked it. Here is a new one tilted at 11deg which is where my engine sits. I changed the flange angle from 55deg to 50 deg and it is still within the 10" firewall. Thanks for the heads up though.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/2-4.jpg

DJ

Speedeuphoria
03-21-2007, 09:16 AM
done yet Kevin?:bump2:

Rattlesnake
03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
That is a great point. I actually hadn't forgot but with the space I had and the flexibilty to change the flange angle I knew I would be OK once I checked it. Here is a new one tilted at 11deg which is where my engine sits. I changed the flange angle from 55deg to 50 deg and it is still within the 10" firewall. Thanks for the heads up though.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/2-4.jpg

DJ
Is that the Solidworks program?

87csx2.4
03-21-2007, 11:55 AM
done yet Kevin?:bump2:Should be finished this weekend,I will post a pic after I get it coated.

turboshad
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Is that the Solidworks program?

Yes it is. Recognize the nice blue sky?

DJ

Rattlesnake
03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes it is. Recognize the nice blue sky?

DJ
Yeap, I just got my student version and I'm learning it, it's pretty fun. My plan is to master it before I graduate. How long did it take you to get used to it?

Reinaldo Moloon

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
SolidWorks header pics look nice! Got any other angles for us? looks liek 1 & 4 need to merge a little closer to the collector?

I started drawing mine in 3D AutoCAD years ago, then said 'F' it and just started making it, LOL

87csx2.4
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
then said 'F' it and just started making it, LOL
Thats the only way to do it.:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
LOL< How does that movie quote go?

"Sometimes you just have to say 'What the F***' " ;)

turboshad
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Thats the only way to do it.:thumb:

Except when you don't want to do things twice and you want to make the header while your engine is at the machine shop. This way I was able to make a jig and then a plate to mock the turbo placement to make sure everything would clear or to see if I wanted to move something.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01354.jpg

DJ

shad0w2.s_tur80
03-22-2007, 07:10 PM
WOW......wow.. whens that gona be runing i wanta see more

turboshad
03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
WOW......wow.. whens that gona be runing i wanta see more

I sort of feel like I am hijacking this thread and I don't mean to. Here is a link to a Plog I started. I'm just mocking things up right now but I will post as things progress.

http://www.turbo-2.com/forum/index.php?topic=162.0

DJ

Russ Jerome
03-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Here's an idea as you do the collector that you could try:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/coltheader%20002.jpg
I'm not sure if the pic shows how high the pyramid in the middle
goes, tape would show 2.5" after the pipes join, kinda lets the gass's
merge individualy from what I have read without turbulence. Its as
easily done as you would imagine, 4 pie cut triangle welded up in
a pyramid. Weak pic but you get the idea, kinda picture the 4 different
volumes of exhaust meeting in a slow merge/Burns collector.

edit: 2.5" from the base of transition, this side shot gives and idea:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/coltheader%20006.jpg

glhs875
03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Looks good Russ. That should help to keep turbulence in check.

ohiorob
04-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey Kevin is it done or have you gone fishing ;)

87csx2.4
04-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Hey Kevin is it done or have you gone fishing ;)Actually I have been doing a little fishing since its been 80 degrees down here.:p It should be road worthy by the end of the week,the pics aren't the greatest but you get the idea.

mcsvt
04-02-2007, 10:13 AM
honestly, great work! Every time I see your sig with the kosei's I get jealous :)

turboshad
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Looks good Kevin. I just started welding mine up this weekend. My collector will be a bit different but besides that almost identical. I did find I had to move the turbo over 1" to the drivers side so the exhaust would clear the PS pump like you said. I also had to change the 90s at the head to clear the starter similar to what you did. Glad to see you got yours done.

DJ

Speedeuphoria
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
nice:eyebrows:, its going to be real mean this year. The trans may want to beg for mercy especially if you feel the need to N2O:nod:

cant wait till you get to a 1/4 mile track w/ the new slicks(well any track really)

Mario
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I can't say I've ever seen an orange tial 38mm wastegate. Did you have that done?

Speedeuphoria
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
was red

glhs875
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I can't say I've ever seen an orange tial 38mm wastegate. Did you have that done?

It's red. I think it just the lighting.

glhs875
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
nice:eyebrows:, its going to be real mean this year. The trans may want to beg for mercy especially if you feel the need to N2O:nod:

cant wait till you get to a 1/4 mile track w/ the new slicks(well any track really)

Yea, damnit! Kevin won't leave things alone. Our cars were neck and neck on street radials. Haven't tried mine on slicks yet, so I don't know there. I don't know how much more I can squeak out of my old school 8V crap to keep up. At least he will have his going again before mine so I know what I'm up against!! It's all in fun. We motivate each other alot! :thumb:

87csx2.4
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks everybody,hopefully I will see some improvements and yes the wastegate is red its a little lighter now from the heat.Yeah brian I think Im going to quit changing things and drive this sucker for a while.:D

Speedeuphoria
05-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I think Im going to quit changing things and drive this sucker for a while.:D

Well that sucks that it didnt work out like that:(

LMK what you figured out w/ the trans and when you get the slicks broken in and back to the track.

Ready to see some updated times:thumb:

I was also curious if the new header would allow more boost or timming on pump gas compared to the log(due to less reversion and back pressure) or if your EGT's changed at all

glhs875
05-04-2007, 08:34 AM

LMK what you figured out w/ the trans and when you get the slicks broken in and back to the track.

I was also curious if the new header would allow more boost of timming on pump gas compared to the log(due to less reversion) or if your EGT's changed at all

Kevin needs to reply, but I know his EGT's dropped at least 100deg with the same tune. I'm not sure about the timing. I don't think Kevin is sure yet either. We do know that on the dyno, that the engine didn't make any more HP with more advance. But the dyno session wasn't totally accurate with the high stall converter and the way Kevin loaded the engine on it. It will take some track sessions to nail down the ign. advance. Kevin's car is a beast. His engine in my car (lighter) would be scairy fast!! He is really making me sweat and get down to the nitty gritty to make an even a lighter 8V car keep up with him. But I like a friendly challenge. I have a feeling that when he gets his trans finished, a new personal best will surely happen for him! I'm going slowly about putting my car back together until I see what he runs. I have to at least know what I will be up against! :D

87csx2.4
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM

I was also curious if the new header would allow more boost or timming on pump gas compared to the log(due to less reversion and back pressure) or if your EGT's changed at allYeah it did lower egt's and it made this thing a dream to tune.As far as track times you know about the trans carnage ,but it will be fixed soon.