PDA

View Full Version : downpipe pictures

mark
03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
im converting to a 63 turbine housing/wg on my spirit r/t etc etc etc...

and I need to fab up a downpipe and ditch the stock downpipe/wg housing.

does anyone have any decent pictures of their work.

OR if anyone has one for sale, please let me know. thank you

Lotashelbys
03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
What exact housing are you talking about? Turbonetics 5 bolt? If so I have a few ideas for you:thumb:

Pat
03-14-2007, 06:08 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2336

mark
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
hi pat, saw your pictures, EXACTLY what i want to do...

thanks!

2.216VTurbo
03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
That is a seriously thick flange Pat, how thick is it?? I was gonna use 1/2" SS but my laser cutter said because of the heat dissapation on SS, he can't get through something that thick. He said he can go to just over 1/2" on mild steel, beyond that it's water jet and I don't have a hook up for that work:o Did you go that thick just for clearance issues?

iTurbo
03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
It's the ATP 'Ultimate Internal Swingvalve'

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-023&Category_Code=WGT

I'm going to buy one of these if/when I get a T3/T4 for my Spirit R/T. Do you guys think this ATP downpipe would work though?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-MDP-010&Category_Code=BCS

Lotashelbys
03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Do you guys think this ATP downpipe would work though?
I was looking at that one also. I was hoping someone else would try it an let us all know:D Sounds like a good job for you Jeremy:thumb:

mark
03-14-2007, 09:42 PM
i am not sure i'd put my WB02 that close to the outlet...

Pat
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
That is a seriously thick flange Pat, how thick is it?? I was gonna use 1/2" SS but my laser cutter said because of the heat dissapation on SS, he can't get through something that thick. He said he can go to just over 1/2" on mild steel, beyond that it's water jet and I don't have a hook up for that work:o Did you go that thick just for clearance issues?

The v band flange? It's not that thick. I'll try to measure it for you, but it's no thicker than a standard Vband flange.

As iTurbo said, this is the ATP piece. It's much better than the FM swingvalve/down spout that was on the car before.

Pat
03-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm going to buy one of these if/when I get a T3/T4 for my Spirit R/T. Do you guys think this ATP downpipe would work though?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-MDP-010&Category_Code=BCS

I'm not so sure that would work. On mine, I actually had to run two separate angles on the downpipe. One was the angle for the hook out of the turbo and back around. The second angle where the downpipe straightens back out is actually angled up a bit also to get between the rack and floorboard tunnel. The ATP piece looks like it would be very difficult to make that 2nd angle.

iTurbo
03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Good to know, thanks Pat. You cut up some 180' bends for yours right? It looks great. For somebody like me who can't weld, it's tempting to buy an off-the-shelf part.

Pat
03-15-2007, 07:16 AM
Good to know, thanks Pat. You cut up some 180' bends for yours right? It looks great. For somebody like me who can't weld, it's tempting to buy an off-the-shelf part.

Yes, just some cut out 180's. You might be able to use the ATP piece, but I think it may be risky for clearance.

86Shelby
03-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Found the camera and took a few quick pics of that was on my car when I bought it. Sorry it's so greasy, the car had a few pretty decent leaks.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/t3downpipe2.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/t3downpipe3.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/t3downpipe1.jpg

2.216VTurbo
03-15-2008, 11:49 PM
From the dead thread pile but I bought a T3/T4 hybrid for the Rampage, T4 B series housing (kinda smallish for good spool) V trim comprssor, .63 five bolt exhaust housing with STGII turbine wheel. The maps show it moving 51lbs of air at 20PSI but the builder thinks that may be a bit optimistic:confused: He says 48 is closer to actual, still the goal is only 350WHP so it should supply that at lower than 20 of boost.

Any, I gotta build the swingvalve/downpipe now.

86 Shelby, is that the ATP universal SV/flange on your downpipe?

Has anyone else used the ATP piece?

ATP now has another option, it is a pice of SS tube that has been 'ovaled' out to fit one of their five bolt flanges, you dont have the V band that way but it looks like the flow would be better than thier universal assembly. Don't know without both side by side in my hands. Universal is less fabrication for sure. Got that Vegas MATS deadline:eyebrows:...

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 12:45 AM
It's the ATP 'Ultimate Internal Swingvalve'

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-023&Category_Code=WGT

I think that dp could work with some fabbing. It looks tight enough that it will clear the power steering pump. For that kind of money, you could go with the FM unit and have the stock flex joint.

86Shelby
03-16-2008, 02:29 AM
86 Shelby, is that the ATP universal SV/flange on your downpipe?

Nope. I believe the P.O. got it from FWDP. It was just the housing with the 9" or so of mandrel bent 2.75" pipe. An exhaust shop did the rest.

Turbo224
03-16-2008, 02:43 AM
I am using the ATP "ultimate internal wastegate" on my R/T and I really like it. For a downpipe, I bought their elbow and a couple 45* bends and it worked out really well.

2.216VTurbo
03-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Sweet, that looks good Tyler. Looks like you had to cut the bottom off the elbow they supplied eh? Or did a second V band at the bottom just not work for your set up? Using a flex section anywhere or is there enough movement in the single V band for you?

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Tyler, looks like your firewall is cracked? :o

Turbo224
03-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Sweet, that looks good Tyler. Looks like you had to cut the bottom off the elbow they supplied eh? Or did a second V band at the bottom just not work for your set up? Using a flex section anywhere or is there enough movement in the single V band for you?

I wanted to keep the V band at the end of the elbow just to make pulling things apart easier, but it was just too close to the steering rack. I did end up putting a flex pipe in right before the cat, but with all the solid mounts, I think I could have gotten away with out it. If I hadn't already bought it I probably wouldn't have used it. Here are a couple more pictures, but they aren't very good. Btw, im not quite sure why I hear everyone say their downpipe comes close to the power steering pump. I didn't have any fitment issues with mine. I think I could squeeze a 5" pipe in there if I was so inclined. Your lucky that you dont even have a pump. :D

Turbo224
03-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Tyler, looks like your firewall is cracked? :o

LOL, it does look like it doesn't it.

mark
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
For that kind of money, you could go with the FM unit and have the stock flex joint.

I do not think FM offers that anymore. I have emailed them and tried calling them multiple times to BUY one flat out and I never get a response even after leaving a voicemail.

I need to get my spirit on the .63 train.

moparzrule
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I am using the ATP "ultimate internal wastegate" on my R/T and I really like it. For a downpipe, I bought their elbow and a couple 45* bends and it worked out really well.

I did the same thing for my 8V, I'm running a standard T3 for Ford style 5 bolt outlet so I used ATP ultimate V-band and the tight radius 90* elbow. I also had to chop the bottom V-band part off to clear the steering rack.
Only problem using the tight radius 90* elbow is you have to weld in your own O2 bung.
The downpipe is about 2-3 inches from the power steering, and you have to be careful where you position the O2 sensor/and wideband so it clears it.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I do not think FM offers that anymore. I have emailed them and tried calling them multiple times to BUY one flat out and I never get a response even after leaving a voicemail.

I need to get my spirit on the .63 train.

Gotcha, it was mentioned they might not be made anymore, guess you confirmed it.

I guess that makes mine a bit more valuable, :eyebrows:

Turbo224
03-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Gotcha, it was mentioned they might not be made anymore, guess you confirmed it.

I guess that makes mine a bit more valuable, :eyebrows:

Got any picturs of the FM unit? I am curious as to how it looks. When I saw the ATP piece, I thought for sure it must be the best flowing internal gate. I didn't even know that FM ever offered one though.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Got any picturs of the FM unit? I am curious as to how it looks. When I saw the ATP piece, I thought for sure it must be the best flowing internal gate. I didn't even know that FM ever offered one though.

I do at work, I thought I had the pic here but can't find it.

mark
03-16-2008, 05:28 PM
if someone would replicate the FM unit, I would buy one. I'd love to keep the factory T3 elbow.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 11:12 PM
if someone would replicate the FM unit, I would buy one. I'd love to keep the factory T3 elbow.

Well thats the point of the FM elbow, you don't reuse the stocker, the FM replaces it, ;)

I'll have to see if anyone can copy it and how much. It sure was nice undoing two bolts to drop the down pipe. :D

mark
03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
what i meant was, i'd love to keep something that bolts up to where the elbow was...

heh

Pat
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Well thats the point of the FM elbow, you don't reuse the stocker, the FM replaces it, ;)

I'll have to see if anyone can copy it and how much. It sure was nice undoing two bolts to drop the down pipe. :D

If you're going to look into doing another elbow set up, make sure it's larger than the FM piece. The one I had had an ID of about 2 3/8".

turbovanmanČ
03-18-2008, 05:43 PM
If you're going to look into doing another elbow set up, make sure it's larger than the FM piece. The one I had had an ID of about 2 3/8".

If I did do it, it would be a 3 inch unit. ;)

FM unit. I redrilled the SV side flange so it was angled properly with my various setups.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork013.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork014.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork015.jpg

omnigoestohell
07-18-2008, 05:02 PM
To repeat Alan's work and revive a dead thread...

Has anyone used one of these on an L-body yet? I bought the "Ultimate Internal Wastegate" and "Low Profile 90 degree w/ flex downpipe" from ATP a while back and find that the low profile isn't nearly low profile enough. Or rather, it seems like the super thick flange on the swingvalve ends up spacing the exhaust system too far over to the passenger side. I dont have a clearance issue with the P/S pump but the exhaust system is no longer in line with the tunnel.

Did anyone have success using a different downpipe? Or is my motor that far off center that it's making such a difference?

Looks like a great flowing piece though, and very serviceable with the v-bands. I'd love to get this thing on the car just can't see how it would fit down that tunnel.

Turbo224
07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
The flange on the wastegate is pretty thick, but you dont want it any thinner or you will risk it warping. Keep in mind that its going to get super hot. My downpipe didnt line up with the tunnel either untill my exhaust guy adjusted it. An L-body is obviously going to be tighter than a G-body, but you will have all the space between the wastegate and the k-frame to route the pipe in line with the tunnel. The picture of my exhaust doesn't really show a good angle, but my setup had to point back toward the tunnel 6-7 inches.

moparzrule
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Has anyone used one of these on an L-body yet? I bought the "Ultimate Internal Wastegate" and "Low Profile 90 degree w/ flex downpipe" from ATP a while back and find that the low profile isn't nearly low profile enough. Or rather, it seems like the super thick flange on the swingvalve ends up spacing the exhaust system too far over to the passenger side. I dont have a clearance issue with the P/S pump but the exhaust system is no longer in line with the tunnel.

Did anyone have success using a different downpipe? Or is my motor that far off center that it's making such a difference?

Looks like a great flowing piece though, and very serviceable with the v-bands. I'd love to get this thing on the car just can't see how it would fit down that tunnel.

I can get you a pic of what I did tomorrow to fit mine, since I'm ripping the head off my car. Yes it's NOT in line with the tunnel anymore, this is where running a TU header would come in real handy LOL. Basically what I did was right after the short radius 90* I put a 45* angle on to head the pipe over toward the tunnel, and then 45* angle to enter the tunnel, and then another 45* to get it to shoot out toward the back at the correct angle light the 45 thats in the stock downpipe. Really hard to explain in words, I'll get a pic tomorrow hopefully.

Pat
07-18-2008, 10:33 PM

Seth, take a look at the one I made. I cut two 180 degree bends to make this and it got it right back into the tunnel. Granted, mine is P body, but I'm sure by moving the angles around a bit, it would be fine in an L.

moparzrule
07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/DownpipeVband.jpg