PDA

View Full Version : piston help!

shelby zed
03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
i have an 89 2.2 t2 block and head, i want to run a 2.4 head eventually, but until then i want to keep the stock 8 valve head on. which pistons (if any) should i use for this? chris at tu said that they wont work both ways, so we need to figure something out whether i machine them later on and just get 8v ones, or what happens. need to know asap. any input is appreciated thanks everyone- Gavin

cordes
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
in the end, the machining etc. to make one or the other work with both heads would probably be a wash when compared to the cost of both sets of pistons. Not to mention the frustration.

shelby zed
03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
hmm, so what do you think i should do then? run a stock set until im ready to do it?

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
well heres where im at.
1.) use stock pistons and rings until im ready to go dohc
2.) buy 8 valve pistons and have them machined when its time for the conversion.

Frank
03-13-2007, 08:23 AM
If you aren't leaning it out, I dont see why you can't use stock pistons until you are ready.

Anonymous_User
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Get a 2.5 Problem solved!!

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
well the only problem is i dont have the stock pistons the machine shop tossed them.

Frank
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Make them buy you knew ones then.

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
how? they where just stock cast mahles and he said they usually just toss the old stuff, even though i asked him to keep everything. he also said it needs to be bored to the first size over, does this mean i could get away with it for now?

Frank
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
doesnt matter. you said keep the pistons and he didnt. tell him to at least pay for half.... if you are buying stock to put in there.

Frank

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
well thats the thing, id rather go forged, that was the plan all along but i had some disagreements with the morons at that shop so i went and grabbed my stuff (cost me 320 to get my crank ground and block hot tanked and inspected):mad: so i want to get new forged ones. is it possible to use 8 valve pistons and have them machined later on for the 16 valve? and how much would that cost?

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
You can use 8 valve pistons with a 2.4 head and 8 valve head on a 2.5L but unsure why not on a 2.2L. I believe you need to cut some notches.

I will PM Russ, he knows I believe then we can put up a FAQ about it.

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
thanks van man, i need to know pretty quick so if you wouldnt mind pming me when you find out that would be great thanks

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
The 2.2 slugs wont clear the 2.4 valves during normal
operation. Depending on the headgasket and particular
pistons they may "just" clear, we had one combo that
was contact while barring it over and another that was
so close it was not worth the effort.

When bench testing be sure to rotate the motor 2 full
turns, cam turns at 1/2 the rate of the crank rotation.
Its been so long I would be interested in what you find
if you have the parts laying around, cant find my very
old post I showed our findings.

From Russ.

shelby zed
03-13-2007, 08:27 PM
ok, well hmm... i think ill just go for the 8 valve ones for now and have them modded later if need be

mo' parts
03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
my thoughts:

1. the machine shop should at least pay half for the ones they tossed. it would cost about that buying some used ones to replace yours, and then that's a crapshoot.

2. find another shop, sometimes it can be tough though. you asked them to keep the pistons and they didnt... what if you asked them to align bore your block and they didnt? or just bored it.

3. since you are having to order pistons now anyway, what about ordering them already notched for the 16 valve? not sure how much of a compression ratio change that would be though, or any other poss. issues... maybe someone could chime in on that.
could poss run a thinner gasket/milled head??

i plan on doing the conversion in my 87, someday when money permits:confused:
thats why im curious

:EDIT:
are'nt you going to have to have the block out and resurfaced after being tapped/plugged?? you could have the pistons modded then if thats the case.

shelby zed
03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
yea adam that was my plan for a long time, but chris at tu says that the pistons wont work both ways because of the valves being bigger since there is only 2. were thinking about making dome that will work for 8 valve and 16 valve. these would have to have bigger reliefs on one side than the other. and thats my other option to get them machined later

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2007, 12:49 PM
DOME? the 16 valve heads are good but dome will put them into Diesel compression territory. :(

mo' parts
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
i think maybe he meant dish??? poss. similar to a 2.5 piston.....
chris, a universal piston, perhaps??

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
i think maybe he meant dish??? poss. similar to a 2.5 piston.....
chris, a universal piston, perhaps??

I would say maybe for a 2.2 Neon head you could make a universal piston but the 2.5 you can use the stocker 8 valve but TIII, you need another piston for both size engines, :(

shelby zed
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
i want to run a stratus 2.4 head i have sitting here, and my 89 t2 2.2 but my idea is to have some made that have bigger valve reliefs on one side than on the other.

shelby zed
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
ok, heres what im gonna do. run 8 valve ones until i decide to do it then sell them and buy 16 valve ones, thanks for the help guys!