PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Dakota tranny ?

midohiomoparsource
03-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I read the thread on the 91 in here, but my problem is different, therefor thatis why I started a new thread.

I have a 1992 Dakota 4x4 ext. cab with 5.2l and auto.
I pulled a car from Ohio to Chicago and back this past. Friday with NO issues, until I stopped for my last fuel stop. Once I got back on the freeway, they truck would not shift into overdrive. Also, the cruise would not work. I limped it the rest of the way home which wasn't that far and parked it for the night.
The next day, I got out and checked the fuses thinking maybe it was a blown fuse, and also checked them under the hood. Nothing unusual there.
I then got in it, and drove it. The cruise and overdrive worked perfect, just like it should!
I drove it all day Saturday with no problem, drove it to work/back which is aprox. 120 miles and it worked perfect again. Drove it to work today, and all good. Now, on the way home, the overdrive and cruise would not work again. I have not looked at it and am hoping it will be fine for the rest of the week until I can get it looked at.
I am thinking it is some sort of switch, but not sure. The tranny is supposed to be fairly fresh with heavy duty internals and I think that is true by way it shifts.

Matt

sdac guy
03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
When it won't go into OD and the cruise don't work ...

Speed Sensor time!

Had that exact problem on mine about 2 yrs ago. Mine was flaky too at first and the problem came & went for some time. Never found it till it went solid and wouldn't go into OD. One day I tried the cruise & it didn't work either.

The OD will not engage below a certain MPH (can't recall exactly).

BTW, it is not a fun item to change, can feel it, can't see it. It is on the end of the tail shaft right above the crossmember.

Barry

midohiomoparsource
03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Barry.

That fixed it!!! Whoo hoo great call.

Matt

Vigo
03-17-2007, 07:09 PM
they intermittently start in 2nd too when that goes. glad to hear you got it fixed!

fleckster
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
they intermittently start in 2nd too when that goes. glad to hear you got it fixed!

Not the '92 Dakota transmissions! They are the 46RE. The only thing electronic on it is the lock up torque converter and the OD clutch pack. There is no transmission controller and therefore it doesn't have a "limp in mode" causing it to switch to 2nd gear.