PDA

View Full Version : Reading and Saving a Code from a used Chip?

Whorse
03-12-2007, 01:50 AM
Is this easy to do or is there more involved than I'm up for?

I'm very new to this and still need to try burning chips, but I do have a Willem Burner, and I am getting a proper chip eraser. I would like to be able to read and save some cals from a couple SBECs I have and a SMEC I'm getting.

JB

Anonymous_User
03-12-2007, 02:21 AM
If you can get the chips out without damage, reading the chip is no problem. The Willem will do this just fine. Saving the file is also no problem. If that's all you want to do - read, save, store for future use, you are OK.

The problem lies in looking at the file and figuring out what it means. You can't just read a chip, run Chem or Dcal and have it tell you what it says.

Chem for example - you start with basically a text file. You convert that to a .calx file (the new Chem anyway). Then you use Chem to modify the .calx file setting your fuel curves, etc. Then Chem converts the .calx file to a .bin file. It is the .bin file that is put on the chip. Regretfully, this process does not work backwards. Chem cannot read a .bin file and show you what it says.

cordes
03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
You can load a bin file into d-cal though and scan for the tables, then compare with a cal of the same year that is already out there to figure out what everything looks like. It works pretty well that way.