PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work at a GM dealer?

TurboRon25
03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey all,
Short version of a long story. My mom's 99 Cavalier that she doesn't want or need (she drives an Altima) has been at my home for a couple years. (FOR SALE!!!) Anyway, the problem is that we only had one key for it. Yes, had. I was out of town and big snow was coming, so I asked my wife to move all the cars in the driveway. Well, my wife <<says that our kids>> lost the key. It's been over a month and still no key. The problem is that this car is blocking in 6 other cars (all mopar), including the replacement driver for my quickly dying Spirit. I called the local Chevy dealer and they want $55 for a 'key by code from the VIN'.
Anybody have a discount connection? I just hate to put any more money into that car. If someone can just get me the key code I can get a key made locally.
Maybe I'll have to wait for GM to buy Chrysler, then I'll be sure to get a discount.

Thanks,
Ron

Birddog
03-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Ya really want that Cav gone eh??:thumb:

jre97
03-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Call a locksmith! I had to do that when I got my daytona because the keys got lost. I think it cost like $15. If that thing doesn't have the funky key with the resistor chip in it it shouldn't be that much. Locksmiths can look up the key codes off a vin if the vehicle isn't too old.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Get ahold of BIG PSI. He works at a GM dealer.

Anonymous_User
03-12-2007, 03:47 AM
I can't help ya, but a funny story about lost keys.....

When I was in the service, I fellow airman bought a Monte Carlo and wanted some work done on it. Quite a bit of work, so it was taking me several weeks. Well, I was nearly done when he called and said they had an accident with their daily driver and would need to pick up the car soon. I hadn't seen the keys for a while and could not find them. I called a locksmith to come out and make a key. It was costly for me at the time, so I kept looking. I actually found the keys in time to call off the locksmith - one of the kids had dropped them in the aquarium. Just by sheer luck did I notice them laying in the bottom!!

TurboRon25
03-26-2007, 01:04 AM
I'd like to send a triple-dog-double-throw-down shout out to BIG PSI for the help with the Cav key!!!
Some people don't understand the whole TD thing. It's not just about the cars. There is the great community of TDers helping each other out that makes it great, and the cars fast. I was worried after the FMML fizzled out that the community was lost. I'm glad to see that we still have good people into these cars getting together online.

Thanks again Chuck,

Ron

Mario
03-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Nice. And that price seemed a bit out of line. Without my discount, I had a key made at a dealership for $5 even. Just a regular key without any funky stuff for an 04 model.