PDA

View Full Version : 91 daytona shelby, newby

covrace
03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a fairly clean 1991 daytona shelby. It;s a turbo with a 5 speed. Runs well. I have a few questions:

it's a newer T1 with 152 hp correct?
what trans is in it?
can I drain the atf that dodge used in the stick trans and replace it with 10w30 motor oil?? My 1986 lazer loved it!
can I get a mopar perf. computer for it?
will an overboost bleed work here?
can I get a larger throttlebody?
Hotter coil?
cooler plugs?
180 temp t-stat?

thanks a bunch, as I said, I had a 1985-1986 lazer t1 about 9 years ago and it was interesting!!!
Jake
Coviello Racing

Directconnection
03-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Alot of things you can do to it. Yes, this is a 2.5 at 150hp, but it makes about 200-210 ft lbs which I can't recall exactly. It is called the high-torque engine due to the calibration. They used the best tranny which is the 568 in your car which is very sought after. Yes, you can use engine oil and I think it has engine oil in it from the factory replacing the tranny fluid.

Best mod to do is skip cold plugs, coil and throttle body mods, but intercool your car and install a decent exhaust system on it. Using a G-valve will work great. Your car does come with the small mitsu turbo, but 15 psi will work wonders once you intercool it. I think MP sells a computer for this car, or you could get a custom cal from one of the vendors. Ceck the Forward Motion website as they still sell and list certain MP computers.

racer-xerols
03-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Same powerplant as my '91 CS, the 152hp / 210 lb-ft "hi torque" 2.5 tI. Until I had to pull the head for a gasket, it loved the Mitsu with a stock intercooler from a 90-up Daytona/LeBaron. Spooled nearly as fast as my VNT! Since the swap to the S60 Garrett T2, it's even happier...although I have since un-intercooled it for originality's sake - my CS is one of 150 total, one of 16 in this option combo. And I'm the original owner. Stock (at least on this one) is good.

As for custom cals - save some money if you're so inclined. Buy an A/F gauge. Buy a set of +20s. Buy the Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the Buick GN (same fit, we're not "popular" enough to get listed as an application for the part though). Get a pair of grainger valves (one for the wastegate, one for the MAP sensor line). Set the MAP valve to open right around 14psi with a bicycle pump. Use the wastegate valve to set your boost level. Adjust your base fuel pressure down to make it idle, but make sure you have fuel at WOT based on the a/f gauge. Pretty standard stuff, relatively inexpensive. Or - unlike anything *I've* ever done...do it the "right" way and get a custom cal for your exact hardware setup ;)

All in all though - a great platform. Enjoy!
And yes, the 568 is factory fill with 10w30 (or was it 5w30?) engine oil.

tryingbe
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
what trans is in it?
can I drain the atf that dodge used in the stick trans and replace it with 10w30 motor oil?? My 1986 lazer loved it!
can I get a mopar perf. computer for it?
will an overboost bleed work here?
can I get a larger throttlebody?
Hotter coil?
cooler plugs?
180 temp t-stat?

Check the plate on top of the transmission, it'll tell you what it is.
Factory recommands 5W-10 oil.
You could just run a G-valve and make sure you have some way to motor it.
Oversize T/B is overrated for most Turbo Dodge.
Stock coil is fine.
1 step colder plug is good.
I'd stick with 195 temperature thermostat.

DC Turismo
03-18-2007, 03:25 PM
5W-10? or 5W-30? Just checking.

azkcar135
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Buy the Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the Buick GN (same fit, we're not "popular" enough to get listed as an application for the part though). QUOTE]

got a part number for this?? never heard of this upgrade??? cool