PDA

View Full Version : Stage 5 cals

John B
03-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Are the cals offered today pretty much the same as past cals or have they evolved or changed? Are they still the Emiro cals?

glhs727
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Are the cals offered today pretty much the same as past cals or have they evolved or changed? Are they still the Emiro cals?

We are constantly evolving OUR cals.

gvare001
05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Cindy, do you carry the stage 5, 88/89 SMEC's in stock, I'll like to order one. Also would you take a TBI SMEC for a core, or does it have to be a turbo SMEC. Thanks.

glhs727
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
We make each one to order. Abd currently are running about 3 weeks out.
You MUST send a turbo core or pay the core charge. . the TBI will not work,
Thanks,
Cindy

devlish
05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I just got my 87 T2 Stage 5 Cal yesterday... and WOW !!!! its right on the nuts!! the very first startup was a bit rough, but every startup afterwards was just fine! she rips like crazy all the way past redline in my little Omni GLH T2!! i'm very impressed, thanks again Cindy!

on a side note, my oil leak almost disapeared even after installing that S5... maybe you can advertise that on your webpage too!

still another satisfied FWD customer!
~Kurt Check
87 GLHT2 (stock...ish:eyebrows: )
85 GLHT (stock)

vxvxAndrewxvxv
08-05-2007, 03:12 AM
I just got my 87 T2 Stage 5 Cal yesterday... and WOW !!!! its right on the nuts!! the very first startup was a bit rough, but every startup afterwards was just fine! she rips like crazy all the way past redline in my little Omni GLH T2!! i'm very impressed, thanks again Cindy!

on a side note, my oil leak almost disapeared even after installing that S5... maybe you can advertise that on your webpage too!

still another satisfied FWD customer!
~Kurt Check
87 GLHT2 (stock...ish:eyebrows: )
85 GLHT (stock)

may i ask what cal you got, and what setup you have?

devlish
08-05-2007, 01:57 PM
2.2 liter, T2 electronics, +40's, Walbro 255, Areo AFPR, FMIC w/ 2.5" pipes, larger Throttle Body, 2.5" turboback exhaust, full suspension & SLH2 brakes.

i got the FWD S5 cal. i later found out it was only running 15psi, not the 18psi... but it still ripped like crazy. i bumped it myself to 18psi and it was fun as hell. up until recently when some other motor issues came about. still like the cal though.

vxvxAndrewxvxv
08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
did your motor problems surface from running too much boost? I can't decide what I should go with!!!

What motor problems did you run into?

Gearhead24-7
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
You must have lucked out. I've been trying to get a working S5 for almost a year and a half now. After buying a it from fellow TD'r, I've sent it back 3 times and still don't have one that works. I've made countless phone calls to Cindy in the past 18 months, and all I have are excuses, promises, and a disfunctional calibration.

devlish
08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
not sure what caused the motor problems... could have been the boost, could have been the previous 120k miles. hard to tell. cracked rings or piston is the effect though.

looking to buy a motor to drive the car for the rest of the year, and build this one over the winter. going to go forged pistons, t2 rods, etc.

and yes, i have pretty good luck with FWD.

JamesL
08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
You must have lucked out.

Hi Chris, I wouldn't exactly call it luck. We've sold many of these to many satisfied customers. You've probably got some other issue or setup that is difficult to tune for without being on a dyno. You say you bought it from someone else and we've sent you three replacements?

overlordsshadow
08-07-2007, 11:07 AM
What ignition timing has been run safely with these stage 5 cals? I've melted the engine down twice and still have no idea why after running only 18 psi the second time with walbro, +40%'s, intercooler, and alky/water. Was running around 14 for timing.

Did I mention I have a stage 5 88/89 2.5 cal for sale?

JamesL
08-07-2007, 04:15 PM
What ignition timing has been run safely with these stage 5 cals? I've melted the engine down twice and still have no idea why after running only 18 psi the second time with walbro, +40%'s, intercooler, and alky/water. Was running around 14 for timing.

Did I mention I have a stage 5 88/89 2.5 cal for sale?

Well if your base timing was at 14, that's to much. What fuel are you running? I'd say if you melted down two motors and have no clue why, you should invest in a scanner/WB o2 and do some data logging.

overlordsshadow
08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Um, ya. Was hoping the egt gauge would have helped with that but I guess not. Only thing is they were just partial melts so some pistons are still perfectly fine and the second time the block is even still okay, along with rings. 90 compression on a melted piston with a a blown out head gastket(blew out all the coolant in the engine and rad) is pretty good.

I've got other stuff to worry about besides baggin around town all the time looking for a quick race. Need a bike and a house so TD will have to wait a few years and by then srt will be junk yard friendly, maybe even the srt calibur.

Gearhead24-7
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Chris, I wouldn't exactly call it luck. We've sold many of these to many satisfied customers. You've probably got some other issue or setup that is difficult to tune for without being on a dyno. You say you bought it from someone else and we've sent you three replacements?

Who is running the show down there? I have explained this situation to Cindy countless times. She knows the exact history of this computer. I astounds me that I have to explain this yet again!!!! I sent very clear, exact details on my vehicle setup with each returned unit. This is obvious proof that you don't listen or care about this situation.

If my setup is so impossible to tune, then why do the problems only exist when when your calibration is installed?

When every single drivability and performance issue is solved by replacing your calibration with a stock unit, changing NOTHING else. What other issues do I need to address?

I've tried 2 different map sensors, 2 different sets of injectors, 3 different sets of plugs and a few other tricks I've learned after the past 15 years of building Chrysler turbo motors. The result is the always the same. If there's something else I should look at please inform me! I asked Cindy that very question after explaning the problems for the fourth or fifth time, and SHE HERSELF TOLD ME THE CALIBRATION WAS THE PROBLEM!!!!! I have an OTC4000 scan tool, that I thought would help with the diagnosis, but it hasn't been able communicate with any of your cals....even tho I was told that that shouldn't be the case.

This past go-round, I had to call 4 times over the course of a month to get the cal. back in time for the drive to Chryslers at Carlisle, it's still won't run.

I call and talk to Cindy on 7-3-07, explain the problems, I'm told I'll be sent another computer to try.

I call again on 7-24-07, get told the same thing.

Here it is 8-6-07 and still nothing....and I have to start all over explainig the problem?

I give up.

overlordsshadow
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
The local guys keep telling me that I am a dumbass for even using the stage 5 cal. Keep telling me any errors I have with hot and cold starts were the cal. It has worked good for me I think, until something catastrophic happens.

JamesL
08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Who is running the show down there? I have explained this situation to Cindy countless times. She knows the exact history of this computer. I astounds me that I have to explain this yet again!!!!.....SNIP. ....and I have to start all over explainig the problem?

I give up.

Didn't mean to butt in Chris. I wasn't aware you were working with Cindy so I'll refrain from further useless comment.

JamesL
08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Um, ya. Was hoping the egt gauge would have helped with that but I guess not. Only thing is they were just partial melts so some pistons are still perfectly fine and the second time the block is even still okay, along with rings. 90 compression on a melted piston with a a blown out head gastket(blew out all the coolant in the engine and rad) is pretty good.

I've got other stuff to worry about besides baggin around town all the time looking for a quick race. Need a bike and a house so TD will have to wait a few years and by then srt will be junk yard friendly, maybe even the srt calibur.

EGT is a good indicator to an issue, but it doesn't tell enough to understand whether the high exhaust temp is due to timing or fuel or both. If I understand you to say your using 90 octane fuel, I would suggest using the highest octane available in your area. S5 requires 93 octane at a min. Is the fuel in your area a 90/10 mix?

I can certainly understand a reassesment of the priorities. Good luck and feel free to give us a call if you need further assistance.

overlordsshadow
08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Was using 91 octane from Shell. The best gas That I can get around here besides straight race gas at way too high a price. I didn't miss seeing and instruction sheet on your website or in the box did I? It would have been nice to know these things when the cal got to me.

JamesL
08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Was using 91 octane from Shell. The best gas That I can get around here besides straight race gas at way too high a price. I didn't miss seeing and instruction sheet on your website or in the box did I? It would have been nice to know these things when the cal got to me.

Typically, that information is provided when we are given the specs of your setup. If you weren't told that, I'm going to have to speak to the staff.

overlordsshadow
08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I am pretty sure I just ordered the cal off the internet and that there was no phone call. I had the 3bar, +40%'s and fuel pump and such so I figured it was good to go and didn't really ask about anything else. I'm pretty sure thats all I told Cindy when I called and asked about the cal. Didn't know they were 'custom'.

Gearhead24-7
08-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Didn't mean to butt in Chris. I wasn't aware you were working with Cindy so I'll refrain from further useless comment.

Well at least make Cindy aware that I'm still waiting for something to be done.....but not for much longer.

moparzrule
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Lack of octane and/or too much timing would not melt a piston it would crack it. Lack of fuel and or/ retarded cam or ignition timing is what melts pistons.

overlordsshadow
08-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Same story for forged?

mario03SRT
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Overlord,

In your signature is says you are running w/meth injection. Is/Was that still the case? Using the w/ meth injection and 91 octane will yield a very potent octane for 18 psi on that cal. The cold and hot start issues most complain about will not effect melted pistons. I ran that cal for a year on Sunoco 94 to 20 psi w/o fail. Is the tune kinda fat....well yes so that in itself should also have cooled the combustion enough IMO. Did you dial down your fuel pressure too?

I have seen the timing curve on that cal (89 Daytona TII SMEC) and is is well below stock levels in the meat of the rpm range.

To recap........91 octane and w/meth and a low 10 high 9 afr (rich) will make the car hum and still leave some HP on the table and the cal can't be the problem. Now jacking the timing +2 degrees is taking the setup closer to it's max point. Your EGT's will drop as timing increases also, leaving the piston melting scenario kinda odd. Maybe you weren't spraying all the time?

FYI,
Marion

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't have expect to even have to spray with that cal and the plus 40's with the walbro.

Going to run alky in the old 2.2 and see what happens there. The temps only got to 1485 roughly and I'm pretty sure it was spraying. The tank was going down hella quick and the bov was covering the hood with the excess once it closed up.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't have expect to even have to spray with that cal and the plus 40's with the walbro.

Its a stage 5 race cal, of course you should expect to run race gas or alky.

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Seems they've been quick to add that 93 octane fuel is a minimum. Just looking at the stage 5 cal descrip and again and I don't remember that notice being there even this morning.... lol

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Meh, it's all water under the bridge now I guess.

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
A TU cal would probably take at least 6 months to get to my house or longer.

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 04:26 PM
18-19 psi. Had it up to about 21-23 each of the times though.

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 04:38 PM
The car was running a 2.5L with cb shafts .020 over wisecos with a t3 flange style mitsu 16G or something like it turbo with an exhaust cutout, intercooler, and alky at 50%meth and 50% windshield washer. That melted down within a couple weeks or so (something like 1200km). The pistons scraped the sides of the block nicely in hole 1 and 2 so I got to bored to .040, took out cb shafts and opened up the oiling ports. The .040 over blew much quicker, think it was only a few days and couple hundred km. Same setup but with more water instead of washer fluid and an egt gauge and header wrapped downpipe and adjustable cam sproket that was pretty much at 0 degrees (1-2 either way). Plugs both time were champ rn9yc's at .02-.025 gap (had to be small so car would run right)

Fuel pressure was at stock base and verified after first blow out.

Gearhead24-7
08-09-2007, 04:50 PM

6 months would be 1/3 the time I've been waiting for a working S5....

overlordsshadow
08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
The motor was a .020 over the first time, didn't know the extra .040 bore would affect it that much. The coil is an almost new mopar one and the wires are recent and plugs are brand spanking new. Guess the next go around years from now will have to be a long slow process.

turbovanmanČ
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Than why does it say in the description-
''Great for use on stock or modified turbo 2 cars''

No where does it say that the stage 5 is a ''race'' cal.

I was under that impression it was as its an aggressive cal.

Longer, I don't think there doing them anymore.

JamesL
08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
6 months would be 1/3 the time I've been waiting for a working S5....

Chris, you need to take this to PM or call us. As I understand it, you didn't buy this computer from us and we haven't charged you a dime including shipping for anything. Worst case is you have a well tested socketed board. We are going to send you another revision. If it doesn't meet your needs, send it back and go with plan B but please don't drag us thorugh the mud publicly on this transaction.

JamesL
08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Well thats why the engine went the first time, and it took less time to blow this time because you had it bored over even more.
If the FWD cal you have is socketed, ''shel-game'' can make you a new chip to your exact specs and it's plug and play.

OverloardShadow, if you can send us some data or if we can get you on our dyno, we can get your calibration spot on. Unless you can get some A/F data, its going to be difficult for anyone to get it spot on in a first attempt. Several other factors may have contributed to your failures as well. We have had many off the shelf success with this calibration. Clearly, yours is not one of them and as has been stated, other factors have probably participated.

overlordsshadow
08-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't suspect it has anything to do with you wrongly calibration the cal. I was just taking some things/specs for granted and throught it would all work. My error for doing only 'most' of the homework and not gettin a wideband with data log if I wanted that much performance. Please do not take my posts as offence to your cal. The guys around my area had what they said were bad experiences with your cals but that was many years ago.

Gearhead24-7
08-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Chris, you need to take this to PM or call us. As I understand it, you didn't buy this computer from us and we haven't charged you a dime including shipping for anything. Worst case is you have a well tested socketed board. We are going to send you another revision. If it doesn't meet your needs, send it back and go with plan B but please don't drag us thorugh the mud publicly on this transaction.

Wether I purchased this cal directly from you or not, it is your calibration. You either stand behind your product or you don't. I'd be more than happy to pay shipping to have my computer in a timley manner. The first attempt to solve the problem took 7 (seven) months, I could have scraped up $10 in that time. I've been promised another attempt since before Carlisle, and have seen nothing. As for mud slinging, if I say anything that isn't a simple fact...feel free to call me on it.

Techwrench
08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
When every single drivability and performance issue is solved by replacing your calibration with a stock unit, changing NOTHING else. What other issues do I need to address?

Chris,
There is no way that the stage 5 cal will work with injectors that run fine with the stock computer. The stage 5 cal is designed for 40% larger injectors which flood your motor if you installed the stock computer. Have you had someone verify the flow rate of the injectors you have?

overlordsshadow
08-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Well my shipping I paid $72 for ended up being 22 on the invoice. Cindy said she would refund the extra shipping charge so they are a good vendor to deal with. Thanks.

JacksRage
08-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Just to balance things out, not a single issue with the S5 here.

JamesL
08-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Wether I purchased this cal directly from you or not, it is your calibration. You either stand behind your product or you don't. ...SNIP

We do stand behind our product and we are happy to support the individual who bought it from us. In this case, that is not you. Technically, unless you bought it from us, we don't owe you anything, much less revision after revision on a cal that works just fine for many many people.

JamesL
08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Chris,
There is no way that the stage 5 cal will work with injectors that run fine with the stock computer. The stage 5 cal is designed for 40% larger injectors which flood your motor if you installed the stock computer. Have you had someone verify the flow rate of the injectors you have?

I'm not sure how I missed this but it explains a lot.

dds78910
08-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Mine only took 2-3 weeks to get and it seems to do good. It does seem to be a little rich, but I need to tune it more. It idles great and pulls hard. My car seems to idle high until I come to a complete stop and then it drops back down to 900-1000 RPM, I'm not sure if it is normal but I have heard other car on cals doing it also. Other wise I'm happy with it.
My setup is .020 over, 255 gph fp, 40's, 39 psi of fuel, 12 degree on timing, 6 degree adv on the cam, and 110 octane, MSD coil and magncore wires, 46 trim super 60 with .63 ar and 3" sv.

turbovanmanČ
08-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Well a car that has a 3bar and +40's will work if you put the stock computer back in. The scaling of the 3bar will lean out the +40's. Been there, done that.

SpoolinGLH
08-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I say, If you dont know how to tune a car , you shouldnt be buying Custom Cals. It does nothing trying to bash a vendor that supports your hobby. It just makes you look bad and unprofessional.... BTW James and Cindy I will be buying a trimcal of you guys in the near future....

Gearhead24-7
08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
There's only 2 people here that have the whole story on this, Cindy and myself, but since I opened my yap here, I'll summarise for those of you that care.

I bought this cal. and the matching injectors -unused- from another person on this board, whom I'll not drag into this, who bought them from Cindy. This was around March of 06.

When I installed the cal, injectors and appropriate sensors, there were issues that went way beyond fine tuning.
The main problem as I originally explained it to Cindy, of which many of you are not aware, is that the S5 cal. I purchased would not let the motor rev above 3000 rpm, regardless of which injectors or map sensor combination I install along with it. Now if anyone thinks that's a tuning issue, I'll happily accept all suggestions.

So I called Cindy, the very first question I asked was wether or not getting the cal. second hand would be an issue, I was told that since she knew where it came from, it would not be. Which isn't what I'm hearing now.

When I explained the problems to Cindy in March, '06 she pointed the finger directly at the computer. So I sent it back, and didn't see it again until September, however on the first revision the exact same problems remained. I sent it back in Sept 06 and didn't see it again until April this year, and the exact same problems still exist. Again I contact Cindy and explain the situation, again she points the finger at the cal. and suggest's we try it again. I get the cal. back the end of June this year, and the same issues still exist. I contact Cindy several times, she offers to send me a socketed board, I agree, but yet have seen nothing. During these months, I made dozens calls to Cindy asking about the status, each time I got an excuse as to why it was taking so long (vacation, burner down, backed up, etc...), and was promised a call or e-mail or PM or something, that never came.

I suppose my main gripe here is that when I'm told something, I expect it to happen. I'm the parts biz too, and my customers expect things when I tell them they'll have them...and I get bitched out when it doesn't happen.

What's happening here is that I'm being told it will be taken care of, then get blown off until I am forced to throw a grand maul hissy fit. If you don't want to deal with the problem, just say so, or tell me it will be a month till I see any progress...When I call on Monday, don't tell me "I'll call you Friday with a tracking number.", then don't. Believe me, I know there's a shortage of vendors for our niche vehicles, and I appreciate those that devote their time to improving basically obsolete technology.

As for those of you that have had excellent service from FWD in the past...I'm among you...this by far isn't the first time dealing with Cindy and her crew, just one of the few times things have gone bad. To me, that's when it counts the most.

Think and say of me what you will for this rant, I really don't care. In my mind, I don't think I'm being unreasonable here, I just want a working computer.

Techwrench
08-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Well a car that has a 3bar and +40's will work if you put the stock computer back in. The scaling of the 3bar will lean out the +40's. Been there, done that.

I've done it myself also. It's driveable but rich. It will also knock under some throttle settings. In my mind, It seems that+40% on the injectors and the MAP sensor is skewed -33%. The vehicle we did it on was showing an AFR of 10.0 to 1 on the stock cal and 11.9 to 1 on the cal for +40's and 3 bar.

Techwrench
08-11-2007, 11:29 PM

I bought this cal. and the matching injectors -unused- from another person on this board, whom I'll not drag into this, who bought them from Cindy. This was around March of 06..

If she is giving you a warranty on something you didn't purchase from, it sounds to me like she's already bending over backwards. Does she still have your computer right now?

When I installed the cal, injectors and appropriate sensors, there were issues that went way beyond fine tuning.
The main problem as I originally explained it to Cindy, of which many of you are not aware, is that the S5 cal. I purchased would not let the motor rev above 3000 rpm, regardless of which injectors or map sensor combination I install along with it. Now if anyone thinks that's a tuning issue, I'll happily accept all suggestions.

Can you be a little more detailed on the symptoms? I'll see if maybe I can help you sort it out. Does it act like it's hitting a rev limiter? What is the AFR doing when it happens? Is it at all throttle settings or just during WOT? Any smoke out of the tailpipe when it's happening and if so what color? Can you provide scan data if necessary to help with the diagnosis?

glhs727
08-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I have refrained from posting for many reasons, but unfortunetly so much misinformation here forces me to post.
First, to overlordshadow and everyone else: If you buy a cal, dont assume it's OK to run a few more degrees of timing then factory, or run less octane, or more boost or whatever than the cal calls for. If you are not sure, or even if you think you are sure, please call and discuss your set-up, goals, etc... If you have an issue with your car and think it is cal related, don't keep doing what your are doing, call us first.
Also overlord, send me a PM with your real name and phone number so we can credit that shipping.

To Mopar rules: Please explain how an engine bored another .020 blows up quicker?

Now to gearhear24-7: it was wrong for you to hijack this thread to start a $hitstorm. I'm suprised the mods allow that, but hey I can't control that.
I know you didn't buy the cal from us, but we try to go above and beyond, and pride ourselves on our customer service (yes, we aren't perfect, but we try)
FWD did not have to do anything since it wasn't bought from us, but we tried to make it right. I said I would look at the cal and make revisions. Yes, you tried a couple with the same results, the car won't go over 3000 rpm. Yes, I suggested it might be the cal everytime you complained. why? well for one it might be the cal and two, you were adament that your car was running perfect and it couldn't be your car so I am not about to argue with a customer. At this point I doubt anything we can do will make you happy. I will send you another revision, one I know works well as a Houston customer (moparbishi) uses the same cal with great success. If it doesn't work, keep the socketed board (which is third party tested for reliability) and go on your way. To all other's, if you buy an ebay special, it may or may not work on your car, and although we have in the past, revised or fixed for free, we will likey no longer do that as it is appearant that service isn't appreciated.
Now, I did see that James posted on behalf of FWD and frankly he also went out of his way to help both overlord and gearhead. Maybe he is a little testy because he sees how hard I work everyday, and the sacrifces I make to try and make everyone happy, and seing me or FWD get ripped (especially for doing something for free) really irks him.
So at this point, I doubt anyone has anything to add, so this thread should just die. If gearhead or anyone for that matter has an issue, just pick up a phone and talk to me directly. I am easily accesible, and if you want to rant on the phone, OK, I'll listen and do my best to rectify the issue, but coming on here and stirring the pot does no one any good.
To techwrench: thanks for the diagnostic help, your posts were actually informative
later,
Cindy

Gearhead24-7
08-12-2007, 12:20 AM
If she is giving you a warranty on something you didn't purchase from, it sounds to me like she's already bending over backwards. Does she still have your computer right now?

I appreciate that she's working with me on this, that has never been an issue. Accordingly, I feel I've been very patient up to this point. But the time frame involved and lack of communication here are out of hand.

Can you be a little more detailed on the symptoms? I'll see if maybe I can help you sort it out. Does it act like it's hitting a rev limiter? What is the AFR doing when it happens? Is it at all throttle settings or just during WOT? Any smoke out of the tailpipe when it's happening and if so what color? Can you provide scan data if necessary to help with the diagnosis?

I think I've run my mouth too much on this already, but I can't sleep. So here's a brief synopsis for the curious.

1: Very hard starting. Not the usual start-stall-start that I've learned is common with a custom cal. I could live with that.
2: Minimal boost, maybe 1-2psi. Swap in the stock cal...the nominal 7psi.
3: The miss. At about 3k on up whether I'm WOT or at a cruise. The best way I could duplicate it would be by pulling two plug wires. At cruise the AFR bounces around center, is rich at WOT, it breaks up and misses the same either way. If I take manual control of the boost, under WOT the miss gets increasingly worse with more pressure. At 15+ psi, it's comparable to rapidly hitting the overboost cutout. No obvious smoke at any point. I have on otc4000 scanner, but it doesn't recognise this cal.

If I change the computer, and only the computer, none of these problems exist.

In my humble opinion the computer seems to be the problem, but in the interst of fairness, I'm willing to entertain suggestions...

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I've done it myself also. It's driveable but rich. It will also knock under some throttle settings. In my mind, It seems that+40% on the injectors and the MAP sensor is skewed -33%. The vehicle we did it on was showing an AFR of 10.0 to 1 on the stock cal and 11.9 to 1 on the cal for +40's and 3 bar.

I found it lean actually and yes, it knocked.

Ok guys, enough jacking going on. The venting is done so take it to the phone or PM's please. Anymore posting not pertaining to this thread will be deleted.

Techwrench
08-12-2007, 11:33 PM
In my humble opinion the computer seems to be the problem, but in the interst of fairness, I'm willing to entertain suggestions...

Does she have the computer?? If so, I'll get with her and see if we can try it in something. Most of the cals are vin "a' for engine code on the scan tool. I have a 4000 and I'll bring that over to her shop as well. Please bear with me as I'm extremely busy this time of year and will have to work it in between calls.

Gearhead24-7
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Does she have the computer?? If so, I'll get with her and see if we can try it in something. Most of the cals are vin "a' for engine code on the scan tool. I have a 4000 and I'll bring that over to her shop as well. Please bear with me as I'm extremely busy this time of year and will have to work it in between calls.

I still have the last computer. Cindy did call me today and promised me a new and tested cal by the end of the week. If it doesn't work this time, I'll be sending everything back and going another route.

JamesL
08-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I still have the last computer. Cindy did call me today and promised me a new and tested cal by the end of the week. If it doesn't work this time, I'll be sending everything back and going another route.

I tested the calibration/ECM myself with a witness (techwrench). The car had no problems starting, idling, reving and making boost. If you still have problems it is likely elsewhere in your setup. I expect you to send back everything you didn't use. I'm still highly aggitated that you would expect all this for free having bought your computer off of Ebay. None-the-less, Cindy made an error and we've gone well above what was required to help you out and meet her obligation because our integrity means something to us. However long it may have taken to get you something that worked... FOR FREE, you should have been patient while we took care of our paying customers.

Tracking number
Ship date
Aug 13, 2007
Estimated delivery
Aug 15, 2007 by 7:00 PM
Destination
Latrobe, PA
Service type
FedEx 2Day Service
Weight
3.0 lbs.
Status
In transit
Date/Time
Activity
Aug 13, 2007 6:07 PM
Left origin
THE WOODLANDS, TX
5:48 PM
Picked up
THE WOODLANDS, TX
5:22 PM
Package data transmitted to FedEx

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I gotta say, thats pretty big of them.

CSXT802
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I gotta say, thats pretty big of them.

+1^:thumb:

Gearhead24-7
08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I tested the calibration/ECM myself with a witness (techwrench). The car had no problems starting, idling, reving and making boost. If you still have problems it is likely elsewhere in your setup. I expect you to send back everything you didn't use. I'm still highly aggitated that you would expect all this for free having bought your computer off of Ebay. None-the-less, Cindy made an error and we've gone well above what was required to help you out and meet her obligation because our integrity means something to us. However long it may have taken to get you something that worked... FOR FREE, you should have been patient while we took care of our paying customers.

Ok, just to clarify. I appreciate the effort here, I've said that all along. Frankly, I'd be just as happy not having to continue this...but. Whether you're aggitated or not is irelivent, when I explained this situation to Cindy the first time...that was the time to back out. This cal was NOT bought on Ebay, you were paid directly for it. Cindy agreed to get me a working unit, so I expected just that. Finally, where did I say I expected all this done for nothing? I think the rest of this saga needs to stay between the two people that agreed to it in the first place.

turbovanmanČ
08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I think the rest of this saga needs to stay between the two people that agreed to it in the first place.

And thats why earlier I said keep it to a PM or phone. So this was the last post regarding Gearheads issue, keep back on topic, I will delete posts after this one.

glhs727
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
whatever. The point James was making was that you did not buy the cal from US and the original cal was meant for someone else and calibrated for someone elses specs. Maybe your set-up was the same, maybe it was not. But none-the-less I said I would stand behind the cal no matter what and I did.

later,
Cindy

Gearhead24-7
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
I just got back from a quick road test of the newest cal. and it's much, much better. I'll be able to give it a formal work out this weekend. Cindy, thanks. It's unfortunate that it all went down like this, I really don't like being the squeaky wheel.

I'll be packing up the other unit tomorrow, and I'm going to send you an extra working TI SMEC you can have for a core or whatever. At the very least, I'll cover all the accumulated shipping and whatever fee you feel is necessary. I also owe you for a set of alternator bushings we had some trouble with a while ago. I'll call you tomorrow and we can work out the details.

Thanks again.

glhs727
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
PM sent

GLHSKEN
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
+1^:thumb:

+2^^^^^

Shadow
08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
After reading through this I am compelled to respond. Not to take any side, or to keep anything going, just to state my experiance in the hope that anyone reading this can take the proper steps, not to find themselves in the same scenario.

I've been building these cars for the better part of 12 years now. I've delt with a lot of ppl and a lot of vendors. Cindy and FWD are at the top of that list. In 7 years of dealing with her I have yet to be dissapointed with her comitment to good, honest buisness. There has not been 1 problem that she hasn't done her very best to resolve, weather it was with me directly, or someone else that had purchased something through her and then came to me to straighten things out. (and the srtaightening out of their problem rarely had to do with what they bought from her)

The point here is we don't live in a perfect world, ---- happens and that's when you find out who your dealing with, and in my experiance, most ppl just try to blow you of instead of trying to resolve anything. Cindy is a rarety, and I hope ppl can appreciate what she does and you can't weigh that in time!

When someone is helping solve your problem for nothing, you need to be patient! You are not the only one in the universe, everything else is moving just as fast as it was before your problem came along, and now someone is taking the time to resolve it, and fit it in to the best of their abilities, without it messing with all of the other responsabilities to every other customer that came before you.

There have been times that I wanted to get things faster than I did but I was able to step back and appreciate how taxed her time is and in the end I have always had the confidence in knowing that if I ever had a problem she would make it right, regardless of how much time she had to put in.

One thing I have learned through all this, to want something yeasterday, for nothing, and then have it sent through the mail, the slowest, cheapest was is hypocritical. If your in that much of a rush then do the least YOU can do to speed up the process. Pay to have it shipped overnight! If your not willing to do that, then I think you really need to ask yourself if your problem is really that important to YOU.
(PS All accounts are from my own experiances and any simalarities to anyone elses circomstances are purely coincidental)
Now let's all build some fast cars!:thumb: