PDA

View Full Version : Noise from a555?

jre97
01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I've got a weird noise coming from my tranny. It just started after I replaced the clutch last week (old one was broken into a bunch of pieces). Clutch out in neutral idling it sounds like a throwout bearing, push in the clutch it stops. Throwout bearing is new. Going down the road like pulling a hill but not really getting on it it makes an intermittent ticking noise that at first I misstook for a rod knocking but if you push in the clutch it stops. Any I dea what this could be? I think they sold me a bad throwout bearing.

87glhs232
01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I've got a weird noise coming from my tranny. It just started after I replaced the clutch last week (old one was broken into a bunch of pieces). Clutch out in neutral idling it sounds like a throwout bearing, push in the clutch it stops. Throwout bearing is new. Going down the road like pulling a hill but not really getting on it it makes an intermittent ticking noise that at first I misstook for a rod knocking but if you push in the clutch it stops. Any I dea what this could be? I think they sold me a bad throwout bearing.

My 525 made ticking noise before it spun a bearing and blew the mainshaft bearing support out in the bell housing.

jre97
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Oh! Fun Stuff!:nod:

87glhs232
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Double check your front mount (side engine). Make sure its all tight. My mount broke once and as the engine/tranny sagged, it made funny noises then too. It sounded a lot lke a throwout bearing. Went away after welding up the mount.

jre97
01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll have to get into that. I noticed a slight crack in my front mount around one of the bolt holes that goes into the block and off the edge last weekend when I put the clutch in it. I knew I should have welded it up then :banghead:

jre97
01-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Well the noise goes away when there's oil in the tranny :lol: I added the better part of a quart and a half. Whatever is leaking has gotten worse. So I'm going to change the axle seals again and see if that helps.I think maybe they gave me the wrong seals at the parts store. I can't really tell if thats where it's coming from or not because it doesn't leak setting still and it is slinging it all over the place and dripping off of everything when you park it after a drive. So in my opinion either the axle seal is faulty or the shift shaft seal is clear gone. I'm leaning toward the axle seals the way it looks.

87glhs232
01-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Well the noise goes away when there's oil in the tranny :lol:
LOL. Yeah, oil helps!