PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my car?

TurboBuggy
03-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I have an 88 CSX-T and I swapped the mistu with a garrett. Yesterday I put a stock intercooler on it and piped it with PVC pipe and it was working great until I turned the boost up to around 16psi and after a little run it started making a hissing sound as it spooled. I thought maybe something with the BOV because it sounds just like my bov going off as im boosting. Its not a boost leak and oil is coming out somewhere back by the turbo, im still boosting to 16 but slightly slower. Anybody know what this could be?

cordes
03-11-2007, 11:40 AM
If oil is leaking at the turbo it is probably coming from the oil feed line which should be sealed with teflon tape, although it could be from the drain tube also.

I would not use stock injectors at 16PSI with no additional fuel mods. You are asking for trouble there IMO. You probably have a leaky hose or the BOV is leaking at higher pressure.

I would back it off a couple of lbs. so that you don't melt any pistons.

2.216VTurbo
03-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you catalytic convertor gave up. The backpressure can build up so high that the exhaust flow has to 'hiss' past the donut. Your certain your IC tubing, er um, piping is not leaking:lol: ?

TurboBuggy
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
yeah all the piping is good, no leaks. The turbo never leaked oil before and now its leaking pretty bad.

no detonation at all so I know the fuel is there, Im running ladybug with the CEL mod and im also pretty familiar with what detonation sounds like.

also I had been running it at 16-17psi the whole day and never had these issues, it still pulls about the same though.

cordes
03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
16-17PSI on stock injectors is really pushing it. There is no rational safety margin pushing them that hard. I don't know of anyone running at 17PSI for an extended period of time.

mo' parts
03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
16-17PSI on stock injectors is really pushing it. There is no rational safety margin pushing them that hard. I don't know of anyone running at 17PSI for an extended period of time.

17-18 psi w/ 5th injector, cracked 2 pistons the other day. new pump/filter.
if you can hear detonation, its prob. too late.

sounds like the oil feed line is leaking, and the hissing, well like mentioned it could be the cat, but more than likely a boost leak in the "plumming" lines.

overlordsshadow
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
When I started throwing extra boost on my car the stock BOV gave up the game. If you have a stock BOV it could be your problem.

4cfed
03-11-2007, 01:29 PM
i had the plugged cat issue on my old daytona.. you wil know if its that.....
boost gauge will go nuts and jump around and it feels likeboost cut...

and this mentioned hissing.. i have been there done that when blowing holes in rubber connectors boost would be a lil lower than i had it set at.... dont use the rubber connectors from like home depo or menards formplumbing there soft and blow out easy i blew three in 10 min on my shadow..

find out what size u need and go to the parts store and get radiator hoses... i swapped to that and never had aproblem again.. and they grip the pipes good... cost alil more than the cheapos but its worth it due to streghts and gripping power..

also dont run cheap worm gear hose clamps go to likew napa and order constant tq clamps... i get the ones that hav e abolt head and washers.. you can wrench them down tight and they grip like no other!!! ...

like i said sounds like aboost leak to me, so swap to the stuff i said and you wil never have aproblem again..

and the oil... check your lines.. did you switch to the proper lines for that turbo??.. if not do so.. if you did take the line soff and wrap the threads i nteflon tape and make sure you tighten them tight

TurboBuggy
03-11-2007, 01:52 PM
i didn't teflon wrap the oil feed, would it be better to teflon it or use like a copper rtv?

I think its the bov leaking, im going to jam it shut and see if I can still hear the hissing. Its a cheapy I got off ebay but it has always worked well for me

Im probably gonna swap some radiator hoses in soon though.

4cfed
03-11-2007, 05:21 PM
use the teflon tape... i wouldnt use any kind od sealant on a turbo.. dont wanan risk pluging the oil lines.....

if its a metal bov just pull the vac line and cap it... if its adjustBLE like open it and can add washers add two washer, or if its got ascrew type adjustment tighten the screw.....

ill stick to RFL's just cuz you can add washers for easy adjustment

deff swap to rad hose... if used it for years on many turbo cars.. most parts store will let you look threw there selection... well advance auto parts here does they know me by name and by voice on the phone lol... i forgot to write down the part number of a good hose i had for my shadow it was a long 2 1/4 inch with a like 50* bend in the middle

overlordsshadow
03-11-2007, 06:46 PM
In regards to the worm gear clamps they have worked fine for me and are they not stock clamps on an srt4? Mine may work well becuase i've got 125 bucks worth of silicon bends and joiners that are VERY snug to the pipes already. Just my two cents about the worm gears.

4cfed
03-12-2007, 01:54 AM
yeah.. the silicone seems to hold the pipes tight... i jut neve rhad luck with them..

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Don't use teflon tape, you liquid teflon sealer by Permatex.

cordes
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Don't use teflon tape, you liquid teflon sealer by Permatex.

Why not teflon tape? I use a pipe sealant stick which works really well, but I have also had luck with the tape.

overlordsshadow
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
used teflon tape and liquid form stuff and all seemed to work the same, GREAT.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Why not teflon tape? I use a pipe sealant stick which works really well, but I have also had luck with the tape.

Theres a chance that you can use too much or install it improperly and it gets inside the turbo. The turbo builders tell you not to use it for that reason.

cordes
03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Theres a chance that you can use too much or install it improperly and it gets inside the turbo. The turbo builders tell you not to use it for that reason.

If one can't use teflon tape properly, I don't have faith in the installation etc. in the first place. :thumb:

GLHS$%^
03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Even with faith ---- happens. It could start a fire.

TurboBuggy
03-14-2007, 12:25 AM
lol I got the leak issue sorted out, (slice in a coupling :mad: ).

Im hoping the oil leak is coming from the oil feed line, cause its leaking pretty bad. Im gonna teflon tape it tomorrow. But right now its running the stock boost gauge past 15psi and seems to run well. I think its a bit rich though, I ordered an ostrich so I can dial the fuel in without taking my chip out 20 times a day :amen:

cordes
03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
lol I got the leak issue sorted out, (slice in a coupling :mad: ).

Im hoping the oil leak is coming from the oil feed line, cause its leaking pretty bad. Im gonna teflon tape it tomorrow. But right now its running the stock boost gauge past 15psi and seems to run well. I think its a bit rich though, I ordered an ostrich so I can dial the fuel in without taking my chip out 20 times a day :amen:

15PSI with stock injectors shoudl not be running rich at all. Very close to 100% DC, but not rich.

TurboBuggy
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
ill get my wideband on it soon and post back the readings

cordes
03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
ill get my wideband on it soon and post back the readings

Hopefully they aren't too scarry.