PDA

View Full Version : PB vs. Energy suspension control arm bushings

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Are the PB control arm bushings worth the $51 premium over Energy's? Anyone with experience with the two care to chime in? Thanks!

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
PB?

Does Prothane make them for these cars?

Only difference between any of them should be the material durometer (read: hardness) and damping coeficient.

WVRampage
01-22-2006, 07:57 PM
PST makes polygraphite bushings for these cars,look them up online and get a free catlog they also have sway bars front and rear.

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 08:01 PM
PB?

Polybushings.com...Johnny.

I'm familiar with polyurethane, used it extensively when I worked at Autofab (autofab.com). I'm just wondering what I'm missing that would cause PB.com to charge $79 for a set and at the same time sell Energy's for $28. Maybe it's just Energy's production capability keeping their costs down.

At any rate, I'd like to hear from people who have use one or the other or better yet both. :p

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
PST makes polygraphite bushings for these cars,look them up online and get a free catlog they also have sway bars front and rear.

I've use PST polygraphite on my '67 Camaro (when I had it). Good stuff. Nary a squeak and it handled great! Also got a 1 1/8" front swaybar from them. I'll check into it. Thanks!

EDIT: WOW. $249 for control arm set. Not including swaybar.

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Gotcha.

I've used Energy Supspension bushings in a couple cars and they work good, but they should compared to the 100k mile oem ones that were replaced in each car. For a daily driver if your roads are bumpy, think twice as they do transmit much more noise/vibration than the OEM rubber ones.

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
I've used both and happy with both except the cast arms PB's. Not his fault on those ones and has since updated his site.

What car/van are you looking at these bushings for?

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 08:10 PM
This would be for the GLHS. Gonna rebuild the front end and slap a new steering rack in since I have the tranny out (see #232's tranny died in the lounge). Might as well do it now since it's all apart.

JT-we have well maintained roads. Plus I'm uber carefull. I dont really mind feeling the road though. I feel more connected. :p

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 08:13 PM
There both the same then, the only difference is your supporting one of our vendors and you get his special grease, :amen: Do you get the same in both kits? $51 is a alot of money though.

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 08:14 PM
There both the same then, the only difference is your supporting one of our vendors and you get his special grease, :amen: So I guess its up to you,:nod:

Ahhh man. Make feel bad and think hard why dont you!

The Energy kit says it comes with PB lube.

EDIT: http://polybushings.com/pages/moparfwdaarm.html

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Ahhh man. Make feel bad and think hard why dont you!

The Energy kit says it comes with PB lube.

hahha, you must have quoted me while I was changing it, reread what I wrote. :nod:

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 08:21 PM
hahha, you must have quoted me while I was changing it, reread what I wrote. :nod:

I did, i did, LOL.

Either way I'd buy from Johnny, so I'll be supporting him no matter what!

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2006, 08:50 PM
JT-we have well maintained roads. Plus I'm uber carefull. I dont really mind feeling the road though. I feel more connected. :p

I'm jealous of the well maintained roads, and I agree about feeling the road even on our bumpy azz roads! :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
The Energy kit is for the early stub strut suspensions. Johnnys are made by him for the double hinged 89-90 cars, and the 91+ cast arm bushings are made by moog. Johnny sells all 3 kits. That's why there's a price difference.

glhs727
01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
YES, the energy suspension kit for $28 will NOT work on a 89-90 double hinge pin k-frame. NO one made these in the aftermarket until PB did. These are a special kit hence the price. If you have any 91 up car, then the Moog pieces are what you need.
later,
Cindy

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Cool, since it's for my 87 GLHS then I'll go with the Energy kit. Upon closer inspection your right, the $79 kit is for 89-90. Duh!

Cindy, you'll be getting a call in a couple weeks. Ball joints, tie rods, struts....the works :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
YES, the energy suspension kit for $28 will NOT work on a 89-90 double hinge pin k-frame. NO one made these in the aftermarket until PB did. These are a special kit hence the price. If you have any 91 up car, then the Moog pieces are what you need.
later,
Cindy

Actually, the Moog/Spicer kits are junk for the cast arms. 1st off, the bushings are loose into the arms-it could be isolated but so far, alot of kits have been reported, 2nd, the bushings are too soft and wear out. I have them and after a month, there getting loose again. Going to be putting the stock rubber bushings back in. Ordered them brand new from Dodge.

91DSX
01-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Actually, the Moog/Spicer kits are junk for the cast arms. 1st off, the bushings are loose into the arms-it could be isolated but so far, alot of kits have been reported, 2nd, the bushings are too soft and wear out. I have them and after a month, there getting loose again. Going to be putting the stock rubber bushings back in. Ordered them brand new from Dodge.

No problem on my car with cast arms, g-body though, I've got both the moog swaybar and control arm poly bushings:nod:

Mine fit snugly for all sides?

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
No problem on my car with cast arms, g-body though, I've got both the moog swaybar and control arm poly bushings:nod:

Mine fit snugly for all sides?

These don't. As Johnny said, could be isolated but I made sure they went in tight, and there getting loose again, :(

My96z
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I hear that the poly bushings on the front help control the wheel hop. So I bought a set.

Simon, what part number you use for your van control arms as far as the Energy Suspension bushings? I have 5-3107 here that I am about to put on since I got the tranny out, figured I might as well do a refresh on the front end.

BTW still parting out that van? I could use the 2 front hubs/spindles, mine have broken wheel studs :( PM me if you can get rid of them

Jeff

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2006, 10:28 PM
If you still have the stock control arms, the part number is-#5-3107-this includes the strut rod bushings also. Sway bar should be 1 1/16 so that would be #5-5104.

Yes, still have hubs/knuckes of my van, new bearing on the left front.

R/T
02-10-2006, 12:50 AM
later,
Cindy

Ummm, Energy PN 5.3135 is for 4 piviot K frames, just looked those up tonight for my Son's car.

Advance Auto Parts says $57.... I would guess that's each side. :confused:

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Ummm, Energy PN 5.3135 is for 4 piviot K frames, just looked those up tonight for my Son's car.

Advance Auto Parts says $57.... I would guess that's each side. :confused:

Nope, thats the kit to do both, :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
02-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Energy makes a kit for the dual pivot kmembers? what year? 89-90? or 91+?????