PDA

View Full Version : so does anybody know about spring heigth

blackart
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
so does anybody know what the installed and while im at it uninstalled valve spring heigth and does anybody have any info that i could give my machinist so that he could do a good port job :p
hmmmm or is that a well kept secret ?????:(

shadow88
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
All I can find is the distance from valve tip to the spring seat. 49.76mm - 51.04mm. There is no spec I can find for uninstalled spring height. I hope this helps.

blackart
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
well that might help but i dont think that was what the machinist was talking about

Blue Iroc R/T
03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
The Installed Height is: 1.62" to 1.68" Per 93 FSM:
http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/image/75418385

Hope this helps!

turbovanmanČ
03-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Yep, 1.7 is installed height, so 1.68 is on the money, :D

You want some springs that are a bit stiffer, around 120 closed and 240 open.

Machine shops usually dont' port heads so you need to find a reputable porter. Theres no secret, you just need to find a good one. Tvalant does a nice job and he's a vendor on here.

4 l-bodies
03-10-2007, 03:36 AM
If you are not getting into a high lift camshaft, no need to get quite to 1.700". Your machinist should be able to come up with installed heights for your cylinder head. Why is he asking you? It's good that he is communicating with you though. Increasing installed height by sinking valves is not the way to go, as this will only hurt the flow of the head. I would recommend changing the exhaust guides to ones that have a stop ring. They have a tendency to drop.
Change the valve springs like Simon told you. After 20 years they have had enough. Don't worry about too much spring pressure (open and closed) if you are using a roller cam. This is within reason of course. 130 lbs seat will be fine. 240-280 open. This is more than factory and will give you some room to grow. Remember spring pressures weaken with age. Make sure your machinist checks for coil bind at full cam lobe lift. Watch the spring width. Keep close to factory.
If they are installing new valve seats, have them set seat to valve tip height around 1.970 or so. 1.985 is typical for a stock production head. Anything over 2.010 and the valve is being sunk too far into the head, or you've got some funky valve stem heights.
Todd Nelson

blackart
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
my machinist man is actually a guy that owns a local hot rod shop and does these crazy 900-1200 horse v8's for the local drag people
but anyway he wanted to see if sinking the valves or dropping them down whould do any good and such

and yea we are going to the guides with the stop rings for all valves but now i have no idea what im gonna do becouse the springs i have look like new with the paint on them and every thing (green mark) but i might have to get new ones and i dont think im gonna have the money for like annother year

that is not good, at this rate im gonna be 50 by the time i get the damn thing done
but yea new valve seats on the exaust side i got ahold of a set of mp oversize valves the exaust side needed replaced
but you guys are great and i realy appreciate the help ill give him the information
p.s. by the way hes cleaning up the port runners and matching the seats and doing some other stuff like flow benching it and such i have high hopes but ya never know

blackart
03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
sorry i did not mean to rant :o