PDA

View Full Version : P steering ?

midohiomoparsource
01-22-2006, 09:12 AM
It's kind of a stupid ?, but gotta ask to be sure.

On my daily beater car, I cut the P steering belt to get to the alt. belt, and never replaced it. How safe is this? I do not need power steering, and don't really care to have it. I am after MPG in this car, and everything I can do to get more, even .1 more, the better. It sees 99% straight hiway 70 mph speeds, but I do have to turn some as well lol.

Will this hurt anything? Anyway I can keep belt off and not hurt anything?

this is a honda also.

Matt

deuce dodge
01-22-2006, 09:25 AM
should be ok...will tear up a tilt wheel ...so ive heard.but not quickly :)

deuce

supercrackerbox
01-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I was going to say be careful about torque steer, but since it's a Honda . . .

midohiomoparsource
01-22-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL, right

I was told by someone that by not having the pump hooked up, it will cause the tie rod ends to lock up when the seals break. I have never head of this, and I want to be sure as car sees 600 miles/week to work/back, last thing I need is a tie rod end breaking off or steering locking up driving down the hiway at 70mph lol.

Matt

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Tie rod ends won't break, there not lubed by the fluid anyhow, there sealed from the rack, both sets of rods, IE inner and outer.

Drain or remove as much fluid as possible, as when you move the steering wheel back and forth, the fluid will blow out of the resovoir and make a mess.

tryingbe
01-22-2006, 11:16 PM
If you're look for mpg, drive slower than 70mph.

cordes
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
+1 for tearing up a tilt column.

Putter
01-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Drain the rack nearly all the way, and loop the hoses. This will make it much easier to turn.

I ran my Omni that way 2 falls ago, no P/S belt and drained pump/rack. I did it because my rack was shot.

midohiomoparsource
01-23-2006, 07:49 AM
I can't drive less then 70 mph, this thing is such a beast, it doesn't feel right below 70! LOL.
I have my drive times just right, and if I drive 70, then I get there with some time to spare. Plus I like to get there and then back home as quick as possible.

I may just end up putting the belt back on it, as it sounds like it is more of a pita to drain the fluid and connect the hoses back together then to just put a belt on it, plus I don't think I gain many mpg by not having it. Then the wife wont complain when she drives it lol.

Matt

WVRampage
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
The lines are removed and the oil is all out of it and no mess any more for the last 2 years.