PDA

View Full Version : Which burner?

Tony Hanna
03-05-2007, 05:35 AM
I've looked back through all the pages in this forum and read all the threads relevent to burners, but I'm still a bit unsure about which one to buy and where.
It seems like the majority favor the Willem burners, but which one? I've also seen mention of problems burning eproms with a usb powered burner. Any thoughts on this?
Also, for any of you that purchased your burner from ebay, which seller and did you have any problems with them? I ask this because there appear to be great prices on some that are shipping from overseas, and some from inside the US that are slightly higher.
Another concern I have is how user friendly are these things? Is it just a matter of connecting it to the PC, popping a blank chip in, running the software, selecting the .bin, and burning it? Or is there a bunch of fiddling with jumpers and dip switches that'll have me burning a handfull of bad chips and scratching my head for days before I figure it out?
Or even worse, getting all excited when it arrives only to find out that I need adaptors/cables that aren't available locally.
I'd definately be willing to spend a little extra coin on one that includes everything I'll need as well as user friendly software and good instructions.
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I figured it'd be a good idea to get some advice from you guys so I can make an informed decision.
TIA,

Anonymous_User
03-05-2007, 05:45 AM
This:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3081

^^ That is incorrect. See below.^^

Is the one I have (had... where the hell did I put it??)

It's very simple to use. It comes with all cords needed. Plugs into the USB port for power and into the parallel port for communication.a

It comes with all the software you need. You simple pop in your chip, select it from a pull down menu, verify blank, choose the .bin file, and burn. It's really that simple.

You may or may not have to set some dipswitches depending on your chip, but it will show you on the screen when you select the chip number what switch to set where.

Tony Hanna
03-05-2007, 07:05 AM
This:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3081

Is the one I have (had... where the hell did I put it??)

It's very simple to use. It comes with all cords needed. Plugs into the USB port for power and into the parallel port for communication.a

It comes with all the software you need. You simple pop in your chip, select it from a pull down menu, verify blank, choose the .bin file, and burn. It's really that simple.

You may or may not have to set some dipswitches depending on your chip, but it will show you on the screen when you select the chip number what switch to set where.

That sounds really good. I was concerned that using the burner would be some involved process that would take forever for me to figure out. Sounds like I just need to order the burner, find that smec I disassembled before I moved, pick up a socket and some chips, and get started.:)
Thanks!

Frank
03-05-2007, 07:38 AM
No you want this one...
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3082

This is the enhanced that does all.

Tony Hanna
03-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Ok, 2 different burners, but both from the same place at least.:) If it has any bearing, I'm probably only going to be dealing with chips compatible with a smec, but I would like the ability to handle both eproms and eeproms.
Price is a bit of a factor too. Since this is a late birthday present from Tiff, I want to try to spend as little of her money as possible.:D
Thanks again,

Anonymous_User
03-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Crap...

Frank is right!! My original link is WRONG. Go with the one FRANK pointed out.

Tony Hanna
03-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Crap...

Frank is right!! My original link is WRONG. Go with the one FRANK pointed out.
Gotcha.:thumb:
Thanks,

amcpacer
03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
I have the enhanced one from MCU mall and it has problems erasing eeproms on some computers. It depends on how much power the USB port on the computer has. The enhanced one is powered off of the USB port and not an AC adaptor. My laptop could not deliver enough power from its port however my desktop computer seems to have enough power.

Perhaps the Willem Dual Power burner is better. Maybe someone else could verify that. The website says it works with EEPROMS and EPROMS. It should not have the power supply problems of the enhanced one.

Tony Hanna
03-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I'll be doing everything from a desktop pc, so I don't know if that would cause me any problems, but thanks for the heads up.

ShelGame
03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I use the dual power with an A/C adapter (NOT powered of the USB port). I have none of the issues some guys have with programming and erasing...