PDA

View Full Version : WBO2 Install Q's

Dr.Evil
03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I have a few questions requarding the install of my AEM 35-4100 Wideband guage kit. (Thanks Tyler) First off, do I need to cut another spot for the WBO2 sensor, or is there a way to use the factory location, and splice into the factory narrowband harness to get a signal off the WB for the ECU? Or maybe some sort of adaptor harness is already made for this? If that won't work, where abouts should I put the sensor? As close to the turbo as possiable? Or is further down the DP okay? The kit didn't come with a manual, so Im a bit lost. Thanks!

WVRampage
03-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Im not sure on the location but it does have to use its own sensor and I think it has to be a little farther back in the DP that the stocker.

Dr.Evil
03-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Yea I just read on a turbo car it has to be 36" away from the turbo, and that I cant splice into factory NB for the ECU. Im just trying to figure out now where to put it in the exhaust.

WVRampage
03-04-2007, 03:37 PM
You will have to weld the O2 bung in the pipe somewere.

mcsvt
03-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Glad you just read that cause I was gonna jump in :)
There are also recommended angles to the pipe to use. www.wb02.com has some good info on placement. That is where I plan on buying my setup... today :D

Dr.Evil
You will have to weld the O2 bung in the pipe somewere.

Yea Im just trying to figure out where. If they say 36" from the turbo, then I guess I will just put it there. Unless thats wrong...?

Will Martin
I have mine right after the k-frame. Reads perfectly. Mine may seem a bit low as I have a TBI header, and this is in a GLH. Try to angle it a bit so it doesn't get wet from moisture, that'll kill it for sure!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_166_full.jpg

Dr.Evil
03-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Glad you just read that cause I was gonna jump in :)
There are also recommended angles to the pipe to use. www.wb02.com has some good info on placement. That is where I plan on buying my setup... today :D

Techedge says 40" away from the closest exhaust valve and a 10-15* angle. Hopefully there is a spot in that general area that will work. How far is yours from the turbo Will? Only looks to be a foot or so...? Well Im going to go get a bung, Ill think about where I want to put it.

TurboGLH
03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I'd put it in between the 45deg bend on the DP and where the DP ends. I've got mine located in approx the same spot on my srt and it's been there for 15,000+mi with no problems.

Will Martin
03-04-2007, 04:22 PM
The instructions state;

"Do not install the bung below the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Condensation can form in the exhaust pipe and permanently damage the sensor. 6 o'clock is the absolute worst position to mount the sensor."

It didn't give a specific distance but I used the information I read on other sites to put it where I did. In my instructions it stated to mount it between the turbo and catalytic converter. I think it's about 18" from the turbo, if I remember correctly.

Dr.Evil
03-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Well I got the DP off to install the Sensor...I recalled having some spare 3" pipe and a U-bend, so I had the bright idea of fabing up a 3" DP. Well 6 hours later its done and in the car :thumb:, with only one exhaust leak that I will fix when the sun comes back up. It doesn't look the best because all I had was flux core for my mig, but it got the job done. Nothing a little header wrap won't fix :) Anyway what kind of gains can I expect with the bigger downpipe? I have a 3" cutout right before the cat to 2.5" catback. Just wondering if its going to be worth the all-afternoon project. Hell it can't hurt, plus it was actually nice out today :nod:

Will Martin
03-05-2007, 12:57 AM
You may get quicker throttle response with the 3" cutout, and pick up about 20hp. Definitely better than the 2.5" catback. ;)

Dr.Evil
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Has anyone here installed an AEM 30-4100 Gauge-Style WBO2? I cannot get the gauge to read anything, or show any signs of life. I verified good ground and 12V to the guage. I should at least see something when I turn the key on, correct? I went ahead and hooked up the sensor thinking it may be needed to hooked up to have the guage show that it was at least on. Nope. Still totally dead. Any ideas? I didn't have a manual, but on the harness that doesn't go to the sensor, I hooked key switched 12V to red, Ground to Black, and headlight switched 12V to the white. I wasnt sure what the blue wire went to. I noticed the same color wire comming off the O2 sensor harness. What is that for? Does that need to be hooked up to show anything on the gauge?

Any help you can offer would be great, or maybe a PDF of the manual? Hopefully I just overlooked something. Any thoughts?

TurboGLH
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I've got that same model, and it does indeed show info on the screen when powered on, even with the motor not running. Your wiring sounds good, the blue is a serial line for "data logging"

I can't find a pdf version of the manual, but I actually found the paper manual yesterday when I was cleaning my desk and I'll be happy to look in it tomorrow (not at home right now, my house has to be abated for lead so I'm staying at my dad's) and let you know what it says about the wiring.

Dr.Evil
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I've got that same model, and it does indeed show info on the screen when powered on, even with the motor not running. Your wiring sounds good, the blue is a serial line for "data logging"

I can't find a pdf version of the manual, but I actually found the paper manual yesterday when I was cleaning my desk and I'll be happy to look in it tomorrow (not at home right now, my house has to be abated for lead so I'm staying at my dad's) and let you know what it says about the wiring.

Yea I figured as much, I knew as soon as I wasn't seeing anthing to yank it out and troubleshoot it on the bench. Ill take a look at it again tomorrow. Im sure its something simple, I just can't find it! I thinking either the power or ground inside the gauge is loose. Let me know what you find out with the wiring. Thanks :thumb:

Dr.Evil
03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Well I gave up on trying to figure out why the guage wasn't showing anything, and decited to see how the 3" DP felt. I can definatly say there is a nice increase in power. Way more than expected. I only did a couple passes but it felt stronger for sure. I was plesently suprised :D And I didn't even have the cutout open. Now its ready for the Alky injection that gets here Wednesday! (once I figure out the WBO2 of course)

TurboGLH
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Checked my manual real quick and you had it wired right. Check to make sure that the blue and the white wires aren't grounding themselves somewhere (blue is serial, white is 0-5v output for an external datalogger), not sure what else it could be other than a bad controller.

Dr.Evil
03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Checked my manual real quick and you had it wired right. Check to make sure that the blue and the white wires aren't grounding themselves somewhere (blue is serial, white is 0-5v output for an external datalogger), not sure what else it could be other than a bad controller.

Well I found the manual online. I had 12V going to the white wire which is a 5V output. But I don't think I had power going to that wire when I first tested it... So who knows. I cant figure out how to get it apart to check for a blown resistor or something like that.