PDA

View Full Version : asd help please

TurboTurismo
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi all..anyone know if the asd output voltage changed between a 90 tbi sbec and a 94 tbi sbec.......My 90 tbi car ha a 14.5lbs fuel pump and the 94 had a 39 lbs pump......I put the 94 sbec in the car and it runs great except I get a code 42 for auto shut down...with no symtoms at all besides code when I do the key on off 3 times test... Anyone think maybe the driver in the 94 comp is pulling more voltage to the pump and or the fuel pressure regulator than needed ... remember I only have the early 14.5 lbs pump not the later 39 lbs pump the 94 comp was designed for...I also reset the comp and within 10 minutes the code 42 came back and the car still runs fine????????

Thanks for any help

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
The voltages don't change for any fuel pump so thats not it. It could be a bad ground, the pump could be worn out and pulling more amperage etc or the relay could be sticking????

TurboTurismo
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
cool, thanks for the reply.....I took it out and drove it and it has alot less get up and go???.I dont know why but the asd code was there when I checked again....I cleared the codes and then it came back after ten minutes when I checked the codes again,,,,, I Tried the 90 comp again and it never shows up...Plus the 90 sbec gives me wayyyy more pickup from a stop ansd the 94 sbec seems to linger in the power band around 80klms.... First I was just worried because of the difference between the two pumps/fpr/injector throwing it out of kilter between the sbecI and the 94 sbecII :eyebrows:

P.S all the wiring matched perfectly aswell... all things considered I think the 90 computer is the way to go

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Interesting on the ASD code but the power difference is the programming, I bet the 90 and 94 are different.

TurboTurismo
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
must be something do with different emmisions and timing or something.The 94 comp has the egr off flash in it.. so for the test drive I just plugged the vacuum line to it...I know my egr is good so I wasn't worried about it leaking.....I guess my lesson here was hey, If it ain't broke don't fix it..actually this weekend coming I am putting in a 89 tbi common block rebuilt engine.:nod: .... my current setup has severe piston slap like alot of 2.2s do.

Thanks for the help again......:) .