PDA

View Full Version : What type rings y'all recommend?

Anonymous_User
03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Regarding ring material, what do you all run? Just reading on another forum a discussion of break in procedures on rebuilt engines.

using moly rings you should be broken in about 30 minutes after the engine is fired . If you are using chrome rings then you'll need a LOT more break in time if it ever fully seats the rings that is. Cast iron will break in as soon as its fired .

And that got me to thinking, I've never heard anyone discuss ring material in their turbo engines.

86Shelby
03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm using the rings that came with my pistons. The 2.5 is running Moly rings, and the TIII will be running cast iron rings(just standard replacement units).

I personally don't have a preference unless it will be used in a very dirty/dusty enironment which I've heard chrome rings are well suited for.

GLHSKEN
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Moly, I always buy hastings. They seat right NOW

WVRampage
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I use the replacement perfect circle.

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Moly of any brand, Hastings, Sealed Power, Perfect Circle, OEM etc are all good. Cast can't take the heat and will melt or shatter with detonation.

GLHS0658
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
+1 to Simon- Must use at least Moly in a turbo engine. Cast will not last
+1 to Ken- Hastings seat NOW if not very very quickly.

Mike

johnl
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Ditto on chrome for dune buggys, dirt bikes, tractors, and D9s.

Moly or iron for me.

I've seen chrome flake off of ring faces, leaving a low spot in the ring (loss of compression) and then work its way past the oil ring, get stuck in the relatively soft aluminum of the thrust face of the piston, and then cut/polish a low spot in the cylinder wall. The flaking may relate to poor pre-plating metal prep or from the plating's embrittlement of the underlying ring material.