PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Alignment

Capt'n Dave
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok here is the problem,When my wheels are straight the steering wheel is at an angle,the car seems to track straight,but the wheel has an index tab on the spline on shaft and i am there,is it possible that tha alignment is off that much? has anyone else seen this on their cars? I am ready to go to a shop to have it checked out,the tie-rod ends look like they have not been moved since new,any ideals? I will take any imput! thanks!:banghead:

tryingbe
03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
As far as I can remember, you can't put the steering wheel on wrong on l-bodies.

butchsuppe
03-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Yes you need an alignment, it,s possible to have your toe out of specs but the car will track straight. When the shop aligns your car they will adj. the toe in the same direction that your steering is off.

Capt'n Dave
03-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks alot,that is kinda what i was thinking,do it this week!

5sp. mini
03-03-2007, 11:01 AM
also have them check to see if the rack might have come loose at the k frame. the tie rod have treads to adj. the wheel.alan

willrussge
01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
The steering wheel off does not mean that the alignment is not alignment right , the steering being off is the rear wheel are not square with the body. The word used to be dog-track the rear wheel off but that does not meant that the alignment on the rear wheel is not ok too . The new alignment machine with 4 wheel alignment take that what you adj. the front alignment. or if it off a small amount it could be the roll of the tires & by changing the tires from right to left & left to right & driving the car & see if the makes the steering wheel straight . Having been doing alignment for the last 40 years there is a lot of little things that people do not know about The steering wheel can be made straight by turning the inner tie rod end the same amount & the same direction like 1/4 turn each but if you do it wrong you alignment will be way off so leave it to some one who know how. You guys & gals have any questions my email is willrussge@yahoo.com I am part time retired but still have a shop with alignment in it but only do thing part time now but still like doing the older & special cars!

AZTurbo
01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Or, depending on severity, the column was not installed back onto the rack correctly when the rack was replaced (if it ever was?) My wheel in my rampage was off over 60 degrees because the dingus who installed my new rack put the column back on wrong - the wheel is 'keyed' so it cannot be installed 'wrong'.

Badly installed tie rod ends can put the wheel alignment out too, as can toe (to a lesser degree) or damage from crash/impact.

5sp. mini
01-12-2012, 07:35 AM
willrussge what type of rack do you have , i still have my ammco bubble gage i use to set camber when wheels are off car. drive on or pit type?we have a new hunter at work, only thing the other guy know how to do is set toe. ha ha