PDA

View Full Version : Rod Shifted A555 linkage

CDNTurboZ
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I am looking for someone who either has a set or can fab me a set so I can run an a555 in my shelby charger without having to mess with changing the shifter. If anyone knows of someone let me know

thanks
steve

supercrackerbox
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
What kind of time frame are you looking for? I will be doing it for my car, but it still might be a couple months.

CDNTurboZ
03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
What kind of time frame are you looking for? I will be doing it for my car, but it still might be a couple months.

I was hoping to get a set within the next month or so

turbojerk
03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I was hoping to get a set within the next month or so

I can make another set-up if your interested!!
http://a752.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_7cc416c9cb1123489c6abc3037f2f057.jpg

PM me for details...

Thanks
Troy

CDNTurboZ
05-29-2007, 11:21 PM
:bump2:

CDNTurboZ
07-29-2007, 11:59 AM
:bump2: , I really need a set ASAP, there has to be someone who can do this for me......

CDNTurboZ
07-29-2007, 12:51 PM
even if someone can show me a pic or two on what has to be done, I am pretty confident I could do the heim joint part, but how do I mod the dogbone mount bracket to fit? any pics?

supercrackerbox
07-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I never got a reply on the one from TurboJerk either, but now that I'm looking at it, it doesn't place the dogbone in the correct spot for an L-body, which I'd just as soon have. I'm in the process of putting mine together right now, I'll post pics as soon as I have it welded up.

turbojerk
07-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I think that I replied to all of you at one time or another????? There have been many different people asking me about this and I can’t keep them all straight. Some don’t like the price so it ends there….

I have to admit that during the spring and summer months my time is very, very limited and unfortunately that means that I really don’t have the time to be working on these. However, now that summer will be soon over things will change and I’ll have more free time to put a few together. I have already taken on one job and it should be complete within a few weeks as I get the time to work on it. My plan is to do 2 at a time at this point to keep ahead of the game….If no one wants the second set it will hit the FS section shortly there after.

I am sorry if I didn’t reply to any of you and that hasn’t been my intention. My PM box seems to fill up overnight sometimes and that has been a problem. If anyone wants to reach me the best way would be to email me directly at turbojerk@yahoo.com.

Thanks
T

turbojerk
07-30-2007, 12:30 PM
I....but now that I'm looking at it, it doesn't place the dogbone in the correct spot for an L-body

That is correct!

Good luck finding the room for it.....

T

supercrackerbox
07-31-2007, 03:51 AM
I think that I replied to all of you at one time or another????? There have been many different people asking me about this and I can’t keep them all straight. Some don’t like the price so it ends there….[*snip*]

Oh don't worry about it, my boss is letting me use the bandsaw and welder at work, so that takes care of if for me. As for the dogbone, I've already got a PB strut from my old Daytona, and I think I can make that work. We'll see what happens.

turbojerk
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh don't worry about it, my boss is letting me use the bandsaw and welder at work, so that takes care of if for me. As for the dogbone, I've already got a PB strut from my old Daytona, and I think I can make that work. We'll see what happens.

Kewl!:thumb:

Let us know how you make out....

T

supercrackerbox
08-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Okay here's what I've come up with so far. Basically I just cut apart the stock 555 mount, shifted it over to align with the ears on the K-member (with clearance for the diff cover), and welded the section of the 525 bracket with the pin on it to the side. Sorry the pics are kinda blurry, I'm not used to the settings on my brother's camera.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/trannymount3.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/trannymount2.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/trannymount.jpg

Now, before anyone asks, yes there will be slight interferance with the pivot arm, but nothing a little grinding won't take care of. I'll know how much once I get everything assembled.

powermaxx
08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
This is what I did for my GLHS. I used the 525 as starting point to make a jig to hold the pivot in the correct place. I did the same thing as Supercrackerbox cutting the 525 and 555 mount down and welded them together. With the jig bolted back in place on the 555 I got the alignment perfect. No clearance issues and no grinding. I also took advantage of redrilling the pivot points so I also got a short shifter out of the deal at the same time. The "L" shaped pivot arm I also cut down and welded back together so the shifting plane was back to where it's supposed to be. There is a tab on the 555 that will have to be removed but if its only used to mount the cable shifter bracket and serves no purpose any longer. I reused the old rods and cut the plastic off and replaced with the heim joints. Make sure you use the conical washers to allow the heims to pivot freely. You'll have to make a small bracket for the other pivot arm and mount it to the two holes by the cutoff mount on the trans case.

Hope that all makes sense. The pics show the OEM rods which I used to establish correct placements. Then I cut them down for the heim joints.

I wrote this up some time back and others have so also, there's a couple of ways to do it. This is just what I did. :thumb:

supercrackerbox
08-11-2007, 03:15 PM
That's pretty much my plan, although I hadn't thought of shortening that second bracket the way you did, that's a great idea. Hope you don't mind if I steal it. ;)

Quick qestion: Looks like you moved that pivot point over, what, maybe half an inch? How much did that shorten the throws?

powermaxx
08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
That's pretty much my plan, although I hadn't thought of shortening that second bracket the way you did, that's a great idea. Hope you don't mind if I steal it. ;)

Quick qestion: Looks like you moved that pivot point over, what, maybe half an inch? How much did that shorten the throws?

I knew I should have measured the before and after throws! It is much shorter is all I can say. I'll see about measuring the offset I used.

Both pivot points I made a jig for that bolted to the trans bellhousing. So they are exactly where the 525 pivots would be. Worked great.