PDA

View Full Version : T1 SMEC ATX & MTX / 1989 / 2.5 liter / 8valve / 2-3bar / All inj types - Collection

ShelGame
02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Here are all of my 2.5 T1 SMEC Base Cals...

The cals that do not say "3-bar" in the title are 2-bar cals. Some had asked for the CE Flash and Switchable boost in a 2-bar cal.

All of these have the CE Flash mod and Switchable boost available (can be enabled or disabled if you desire).

There is also an option to enable the Charge Temp Sensor.

These are base cals. They are stock cals except for being scaled for 3-bar MAP and +20 or +40 injectors. They will work well on a stock engine, but will obviously need to be adjusted for heavy mods.

The .zip includes the binary and the D-Cal table file.

ShelGame
06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Updated:

Added 2-step staging limiter. Both switch and speed de-activated. Either one will de-activate the staging limiter. The staging limiter is setup the same as the normal rev limiter (with a fuel off setpoint and a fuel on setpoint). If you have any questions about setting this up, please shoot me a PM.

Frank
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Awesome job!~!!!!!

TopDollar69
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
What's normal to see with the CEL mod turned on? I'm running the 2 bar 33pph injector 5spd cal. I don't have an OTC to see if the cal is pulling timing or not, but the CEL will come on sometimes at partial throttle, and always at WOT. I'm running a 2.5L With a TII garret turbo, and a stock TII intercooler. The car is an 88 Lebaron swapped to a 4 wire O2 sensor and 5spd trans. Ive tried 92 octane fuel with half a bottle of 104 octane booster, but no difference was noted with when the CEL comes on. I also replaced the knock sensor and the fuel filter to make sure I didn't have any other problems.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

TopDollar69
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I also want to add that I'm only running about 6 psi of boost with the wastegate hooked directly to manifold pressure.

Aries_Turbo
12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
are you sure you have the 33lb injectors? older stuff had 27lb just incase they got mixed up somehow.

Brian

moparzrule
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
+1 to what brian said, if you are using the original 88 T1 intake and injectors they are 27's. The first blow through T1 in 88 came with 27 lb injectors, and then they upgraded to 33's in 89' for the 2.5L.
Could you possibly get the part # from the injectors, and/or confirm they are from the original 88 T1 engine?
Do you have an Air/fuel gauge???

TopDollar69
12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Nope, they are the injectors from my 90 Spirit that the engine came out of. The engine always pulled hard in the spirit, and I drove it with these injectors for 20k miles or so. Is it not normal to be seeing the CEL come on this much? I forgot to mention the car has a digital dash, could the CEL be latching when it would normaly only flicker on an analog gauge car?

moparzrule
12-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Do you have an A/F gauge and/or EGT gauge?
Is your ignition timing set properly? Cam timing?

Did you check codes to make sure the CEL isn't coming on for a reason other than knock?

TopDollar69
12-31-2007, 11:47 AM
The car is only showing codes 12 and 55, so everything is good there. It was throwing the code for the charge temp sensor, but that was because I didn't have it hooked up yet. I fixed that last week, so now I only have the normal codes. I do not have an egt or AF gauge. The car is all stock more or less so I really don't see the need for them. I guess the intercooler on a non intercooled cal might be throwing things off a bit, but enough to cause a problem? I think I might just have to break down and buy a scanner to see if it is pulling any timing. Thanks for all the input guys.

Ben Huebner

Aries_Turbo
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
did you yourself turn the CEL mod on. when i downloaded this cal (though it was the 3bar +40 one) the CEL flash was turned off by default. Moparzrule pointed that out to me.

maybe its something else. just a thought.

Brian

moparzrule
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I would atleast hook up an A/F gauge just to see what is going on, easy and cheap enough even if you had to borrow a gauge.
But you didn't mention anything about cam or ignition timing? Either of those can make knock appear. Are you positive they are both correct?
Intercooled or non-intercooled wouldn't do anything at 6 PSI.

TopDollar69
12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
The cam timing is dead on, the ignition timing is set at 12 degrees. I set the distributer timing the correct way. The CEL mod is turned on, and so is the intake charge temp sensor. I checked all the options in D cal. They were turned on when I downloaded the cal. Now that the 104 has run through the system the CEL hasn't come on at partial throttle at all, but it still does at WOT.

moparzrule
12-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Well then the cal must have too a little much timing for octane boost to make a difference. But the fact that 104 octane boost turned the CEL off any at all means the timing is close but just a hair too much. 104 boosts it 10 points, which makes 92 octane 93 octane. Back off slightly on the part throttle timing above 0 PSI and a little more at WOT.
Can you post what the timing is at what PSI level at every one of the points from your WOT table?

Aries_Turbo
01-01-2008, 02:21 AM
id check the fuel injector part numbers and the A/F ratio before i changed anything in the cal. DONT tune for an improper combo, fix the mechanical issues first. check the fuel pressure too. it shouldnt be knocking at 6psi.

Brian

moparzrule
01-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah thats true, thats why I wanted to know what his timing points were set at first. He said the plugs looked good so that kinda rules out one injector being clogged and not flowing enough or something like that. Plus the 104 octane helped, that means it has to be a timing issue.

TopDollar69
01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I will pull the injectors and confirm the part numbers. I may also try retarding the timing somewhat to see if I can get the CEL to stop coming on at WOT.

Thanks

Aries_Turbo
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
could be an overactive knock sensor too. try a spare if you have one.

is the motor overall quiet?

Brian

moparzrule
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
He said he replaced the knock sensor....

TopDollar69
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
The engine is pretty quite except in the morning when its super cold on start up.

ShelGame
01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
^ That could be it. Does the CEL go off only when cold? Or all the time? For my relocatable source code, I made a change to the CEL code to check the coolant temp (it's not in these cals, though), if it 's colder than ~150F, then I don't set off the CEL. A cold engine makes a lot of noise (piston slap, lifter ticks, etc.) and sets off the knock sensor when it's not really knock...

TopDollar69
01-02-2008, 01:51 PM
It doesnt go off when it's just sitting warming up, but if it isn't fully up to temp when I'm driving then I do see the CEL come on at partial throttle intermittently with no boost. That goes away once the engine is up to normal temps though. I'm guessing I've got some other issue causing the knock. Thank goodness for this cal though, or I would have never known about the knock after the 2.5L swap.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

TopDollar69
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
-I had some time today so I checked a few more things. First of all the cam timing is definitly correct, I double checked it to make sure. I dropped the distributer timing back to 10 or 11 degrees. I swapped the injector harness and fuel rail from a lower mileage car that ran good. I checked the numbers on the injectors and they are listed as 33pph units (4418258). I pulled the plugs again, but they are all covered in 104 octane booster so it's pretty hard to read them. As soon as this tank is run dry I will replace the plugs with new ones to get some good pics. Still no specs of metal on the plugs though. One thing I should mention is that I rarely drive the car in boost since I drive 120 miles every day for work, I pretty much baby it to get the best mileage I can. Since I started running premium fuel and the octane booster I rarely see the CEL come on at partial throttle. I checked the static fuel pressure and it was at 52, so that looks good. However i discovered today that the fuel pump has been replaced with a cheapo aftermarket unit. I suspect the pump might not be able to keep up during boost causing a slightly lean condition. Since I pulled back the timing 1-2 degrees it hasn't changed how the CEL comes on so I really suspect it's a fuel flow issue. I'm going to swap in a good used OEM pump and see if it helps the problem.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

Aries_Turbo
01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
cool. hopefully that fixes it. :)

TopDollar69
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I thought I might bring this thread back from the dead to post what I've found so far. After driving the car for awhile now and installing new plugs I've discovered I have what appears to be a poor flowing injector on the No. 2 Cylinder. It has grey specs on the porcelain, but was colored red from the 104 octane booster. The other three plugs look good with the timing indicator being correct. The fuel mixture is pretty hard to read with the octane booster. The only thing I can figure is something got in the inlet side of the injector when I swapped them from the 90 fuel rail to the 88 style. I have a new set of injectors on the way that will hopfully take care of this problem once and for all. Luckily the compression is still good in the No. 2 cylinder. I was a little worried I might have holed another piston, but that would probably be pretty hard with the minimal amount of boost I've been running. I will give an update when I get the new injectors installed.

TopDollar69
03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
OK, any other ideas would be great at this point. So far this is what I've tried, new 255 pump, another set of used injectors, ran a bottle of injector cleaner though it, swapped injector harness with another used one, changed to BR9ES plugs, confirmed cam timing, base timing is still set at 11 degrees, I've check the static fuel pressure and it is 55 PSI, I also tried a stock 89 2.5L cal and it has the same knock issue. The knock seems to be load dependent. It's never the same boost level, throttle postion or RPM. I'm going to buy a laptop so I can datalog from my OTC2000 scanner, and hopefully get some better info about whats happening when the knock occurs. Thanks for any ideas that you guys might have.