PDA

View Full Version : Any other suggestions - Brake Pedal

cyx
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi, I found this post of yours from 2005 by searching online for the topic.

I was wondering if what you said depends on the car?

I have a 2000 Alero and my brake petal goes to the floor, but does not brake good and then go to the floor ... it doesn't brake at all until you're 1/2 way to the floor already. They replaced the master cylinder, checked back calipers, and bled the brakes and no difference.

Do you think it would have to do with the pistons?
And what were you saying about drums?

Thank you
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchsuppe
Did you bench bleed the master cyl ? sounds like you still got air in it. Try cracking the lines on the master starting at the rr while your asisstant presses the pedal + note if you get any fluid out of it. When ever you have this kind of problem you MUST verify the master hasn,t any air in it. Once you done this you may try gravity bleeding the sys. the possiblity of human error exsist by your assistant letting up on the pedal too soon when doing a 2 person bleed. I,ve had all kind of brk. problems working at Ford dealerships for 12yrs, which is why I,m now bald + 3/4 insane. One strange problem came in whereas a coworker couldn,t fix was a rotor was too thin, caliper piston seals are designed to withdrawl the piston and in this case the piston would travel too far thus causing the pedal to go to the floor. If you have drums at the make sure the adj. is OK. An indication of a bad master is a fluid guiser in the res. upon pedal release. ANYTIME a pedal sinks the the floor you have a problem that needs to be fixed, just hope you do before driving behind me. feel free to PM me if you on still having problems LOL

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
The Alero has ABS, it needs to be checked for codes and go from there. Also the ABS motor pack gears might need rehoming or resetting.

mark
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
if it has abs, you cant bleed it like a normal non-abs car, something funky has to be done to open some crap up by connecting it to a scanner...

Speedeuphoria
03-01-2007, 09:07 AM
my 99 Grand AM is the same way, no brakes till 1/2 pedal. I heard that all the breaks on this family of cars suck. I just drive it cause it's cheap transportation. I drove an '04 Grand AM and its much better.