PDA

View Full Version : premature cam wear

WOP'R
02-27-2007, 03:28 AM
now that i own a TIII ive been searching through alot of threads and noticed that there seems to be alot of cases of cam pitting and wearing.

Why would these cams be getting chewed up any more than the 8V cam? and is there a way to stop or slow it down aside from sending them to lonewolf to dry film or cryo them?

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2007, 03:57 AM
now that i own a TIII ive been searching through alot of threads and noticed that there seems to be alot of cases of cam pitting and wearing.

Why would these cams be getting chewed up any more than the 8V cam? and is there a way to stop or slow it down aside from sending them to lonewolf to dry film or cryo them?

From what I have seen, its caused by the roller seizing up or the hardening wearing off. The only way is reground cams, coatings and/or cryo. I am getting a set of my cams coated and cryoed, :nod:

WOP'R
02-28-2007, 04:31 AM
thanks Simon.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Turbo224
02-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I am not sure about the specifics, but a lot of people believe that the valve springs are way to stiff for what they need to be causing excessive cam wear and premature timing belt failure. The cure are the titanium valve spring retainers that fwd sells.

Will Martin
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Springs are too stiff. The head I have from LWP has the titanium valve spring retainers and reground cryo cams, this should help tremendously. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I am not sure about the specifics, but a lot of people believe that the valve springs are way to stiff for what they need to be causing excessive cam wear and premature timing belt failure. The cure are the titanium valve spring retainers that fwd sells.

Yes, there way too stiff, rated for something like 9000 rpm. I am working on a spring fix for this instead of buying the retainers.

88_pacifica
02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
didn't The Pope supposedly have a solution at one point?

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
didn't The Pope supposedly have a solution at one point?

I've never heard of any springs about TIII's from him. I seem to recall someone said use Small Block Chevy springs but I have seen those and there alot wider than the TIII spring.

WOP'R
03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
OK thanks guys...i tried to tkae pics last night of my cams to get your thoughts but im unable to get a nice clear pic:(