PDA

View Full Version : 3 bar 2.5/mitsu cal?

Tony Hanna
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to be getting a burner, some chips, and a socket for my birthday.:) I'd really like to do a cal for the Sundance in it's current configuration to get familiar with the process.
Here's what I'm working with:
'89 2.5 TI intercooled running the stock mitsu, 2.5" exhaust, and a manual trans.
Cyl head and manifolds are untouched, stock tb.

Here's what I'd like to do:
Stock '89 TI manual cal scaled for 3 bar/+40's (pretty standard stuff right?)
I'd like to add a little fuel at full throttle to offset the cooler air from having the ic. I figure part throttle will adapt based on O2 right?
Here's the part I'm not too sure about. I'd like to let the computer control boost and limit the boost to around 10-12 psi under 3000 rpm (and less than wot at any rpm). At wot above 3000 rpm I'd like to have the boost ramp (slowly if possible) to a target of 20 psi with overboost shutdown at 21.
That's prettymuch it aside from any timing changes (really need help with that) and maybe fan scheduling to work with a 180 stat.
I'm really curious to see if anybody has fooled with a mitsu cal and if there's anything floating around that would be a good starting point or if I should just start with a stock '89 T1 cal. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,

ShelGame
02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I've posted 3-bar, +20, +40 2.5 T1 SMEC cals on D-Cal. I even have switchable boost and CE Flash available, as well as a hi-speed logger mod. If you can't get into D-Cal, I can post them here...

Tony Hanna
02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks Rob!
I've downloaded your T1 mtx +40 cal and loaded it into Dcal. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do. Looks like I can do the boost scheduling based on RPM and throttle position which makes me really happy.
Anyhow, I'm gonna do a bunch of searching and reading and try to find the answers to some of my questions so I'm not posting a bunch of crap that's been asked time and again.
What I'd really like to find is a good tutorial with screenshots and explanations of what can be done to each table and what effect each change will have. That would really be a help with understanding what's going on.

ShelGame
02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Rob!
I've downloaded your T1 mtx +40 cal and loaded it into Dcal. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do. Looks like I can do the boost scheduling based on RPM and throttle position which makes me really happy.
Anyhow, I'm gonna do a bunch of searching and reading and try to find the answers to some of my questions so I'm not posting a bunch of crap that's been asked time and again.
What I'd really like to find is a good tutorial with screenshots and explanations of what can be done to each table and what effect each change will have. That would really be a help with understanding what's going on.

Well, boost is always pretty easy to understand. The code looks at all of the boost vs X tables and uses the LOWEST value - always. The switchable boost simply forces the code to skip reading the "low" boost table when the switch is set to hi-boost.

As for spark and fuel, I also posted flow charts to D-Cal that show which tables are used when and how.

Tony Hanna
02-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, boost is always pretty easy to understand. The code looks at all of the boost vs X tables and uses the LOWEST value - always. The switchable boost simply forces the code to skip reading the "low" boost table when the switch is set to hi-boost.

As for spark and fuel, I also posted flow charts to D-Cal that show which tables are used when and how.

Thanks again Rob. I'm gonna take a look at those flow charts.
I think I've got the boost control mostly figured out. I wasn't too worried about switchable boost, so I disabled it for now. Might play with it a bit later for a "bad gas or bad weather" low setting.
I am a bit confused about what if anything needs done with wastegate duty cycle in the WGControlPosFromBoost table.
Also, is there any way to change what TPS voltage is considered full throttle? It seems like everything I've had has always had a lean spot where it will hit full boost before full throttle. I can see it with the stock cal in the Sundance as the a/f gauge will drop a light if I lift the pedal slightly under boost. Guess I could fix that in the BoostAllowedFromTPSVolts table though.

Is it seriously this easy? Just move the breakpoints to reflect the changes you want to make and then save? I can't believe I've avoided trying this for so long.:confused:
Thanks again for the help.

ShelGame
02-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks again Rob. I'm gonna take a look at those flow charts.
I think I've got the boost control mostly figured out. I wasn't too worried about switchable boost, so I disabled it for now. Might play with it a bit later for a "bad gas or bad weather" low setting.
I am a bit confused about what if anything needs done with wastegate duty cycle in the WGControlPosFromBoost table.
Also, is there any way to change what TPS voltage is considered full throttle? It seems like everything I've had has always had a lean spot where it will hit full boost before full throttle. I can see it with the stock cal in the Sundance as the a/f gauge will drop a light if I lift the pedal slightly under boost. Guess I could fix that in the BoostAllowedFromTPSVolts table though.

Is it seriously this easy? Just move the breakpoints to reflect the changes you want to make and then save? I can't believe I've avoided trying this for so long.:confused:
Thanks again for the help.

The WG DC tables may need to be changed. If you have a completely stock boost control system (solenoid, hoses, restrictor, WG can), then it should be about right. If you change any or all of the above, you will most likely have to tweak the "WG duty cycle from boost" table. The "WG duty cycle from RPM" table is really used to help spool up by keeping the WG closed a little longer at the specified RPM.

For example, on my race car, I have stock everything except for the plumbing between the can and solenoid. The hoses are 3/16" ID. I put a 0.03" restrictor in place where the stock diagram shows one. Seems like a small deviation from stock, but I still had to tweak the table to get my boost control right.

There is a constant that you can change to set the threshold for WOT, but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head.

Yes, it's as easy as moving a data point and then hitting save, for the most part. Scaling for injectors or MAP is a little more complicated just due to the number of affected tables/constants.

Tony Hanna
02-28-2007, 01:44 AM
The WG DC tables may need to be changed. If you have a completely stock boost control system (solenoid, hoses, restrictor, WG can), then it should be about right. If you change any or all of the above, you will most likely have to tweak the "WG duty cycle from boost" table. The "WG duty cycle from RPM" table is really used to help spool up by keeping the WG closed a little longer at the specified RPM.

For example, on my race car, I have stock everything except for the plumbing between the can and solenoid. The hoses are 3/16" ID. I put a 0.03" restrictor in place where the stock diagram shows one. Seems like a small deviation from stock, but I still had to tweak the table to get my boost control right.

There is a constant that you can change to set the threshold for WOT, but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head.

Yes, it's as easy as moving a data point and then hitting save, for the most part. Scaling for injectors or MAP is a little more complicated just due to the number of affected tables/constants.

The reason I was asking about wg duty cycle from boost is that it's at 58.5% (highest point) by 11.4 psi. I was just curious if I needed to shift the last breakpoint to the right and make it hit 58.5% duty cycle at the new target boost?
I know I'm nowhere near ready to try to scale for map and injectors myself, but hopefully I'll get there eventually. If nothing else, I'm having fun playing with it.:)
Thanks again,

ShelGame
02-28-2007, 08:49 AM
The reason I was asking about wg duty cycle from boost is that it's at 58.5% (highest point) by 11.4 psi. I was just curious if I needed to shift the last breakpoint to the right and make it hit 58.5% duty cycle at the new target boost?
I know I'm nowhere near ready to try to scale for map and injectors myself, but hopefully I'll get there eventually. If nothing else, I'm having fun playing with it.:)
Thanks again,

One thing you have to remember, is that the T1 is a bleed-style WG control. So, more WG duty cycle = more boost.

My advise is , start with the stock curve, but move the last point to your new target boost. And, make it follow along the same line as stock - so that at 11.4 psi, you'd still be at 58.5% DC. You can see it easily using the comparison cal feature in D-Cal.

Tony Hanna
02-28-2007, 10:25 AM
One thing you have to remember, is that the T1 is a bleed-style WG control. So, more WG duty cycle = more boost.

My advise is , start with the stock curve, but move the last point to your new target boost. And, make it follow along the same line as stock - so that at 11.4 psi, you'd still be at 58.5% DC. You can see it easily using the comparison cal feature in D-Cal.

I think I understand. Keeping the slope close to the same has 18 psi at over 100% DC which makes sense considering the little mitsu usually won't do it in stock form. I think I had to shim the wastgete can to get to 18+ with the last one.
Following this line of reasoning, I think I'd be ahead to set the DC lower (say 75% at 18 psi) and change the spring tension on the WG to work with it.
Sound reasonable?
Thanks,

Tony Hanna
02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Another quick question. I'm considering a set of 450 cc DSM injectors as an alternative to the +40's. I've read that they flow pretty close to the same as +40s at 55 psi. I'm just curious if anybody has run them with a cal scaled for +40's and if any changes needed made to either fuel pressure or the cal?
Thanks,