PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn to read and create cals for SBECs. Help?

Whorse
02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I have spent the last hour and a bit reading on Chem, and I still haven't heard back on my application to Dcal from a few weeks ago.

I would like to learn to read the tables and eventually be able to make my own cals for SBECs. I have two 1990 cars, one a VNT, and it's damn near impossible to get good cals for them, which makes it tough to get going on these 1990 projects. There also doesn't seem to be any info concerning the 1992+ SBECs with the body computer. I don't think most of us have a very good idea what's going on there and what makes it different.

Any help would be great, and this would be a good place for some information on SBECs.

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2007, 05:33 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11079

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 08:21 AM
The reason there's no info on the '92+ SBEC's is because they are so rare. I don't think anyone with a spare computer is willing to pull the chip and get the binary out. There's a risk of ruining the computer in the process...

There is info out there for the 90/91 SBEC, though.

cordes
02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't really know what the deal is with people having a hard time getting accepted on D-cal lately, but that is the place to be for the SBEC cals. I think that is the only place which has Rob's SBEC cals posted up. They are nice and work well from all I have heard. From looking at them compared to another cal from elsewhere, they look great.

Whorse
02-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Alright I will try to re-register there again. Rob, is the difficulty with the 92+ Chips just getting the chip out like with the other 88+ boards or is there more to it? If I found one in a yard somewhere I might be able to get our hardware engineer at work to remove it with some of his soldering tools.

cordes
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Alright I will try to re-register there again. Rob, is the difficulty with the 92+ Chips just getting the chip out like with the other 88+ boards or is there more to it? If I found one in a yard somewhere I might be able to get our hardware engineer at work to remove it with some of his soldering tools.

I am pretty sure that it is the same, just the added risk of messing up a computer that is super hard to replace.

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
I am pretty sure that it is the same, just the added risk of messing up a computer that is super hard to replace.

+1

I imagine that the code is not terribly different from the '90/91, but without looking, who knows?

ShelbyMotorsports
02-25-2007, 03:59 PM
and I still haven't heard back on my application to Dcal from a few weeks ago.

Jason the odds are you will never hear back from D-cal. They remind me of that other website where the owner could care less about the members of our little community. Its their loss not ours.

Why not just ask your questions here on TM.com?

I'm sure that most any question you have will be answered here and the best part is that everyone here is welcome to view these posts without a secret initiation knock to get let in.

GLHNSLHT2
02-25-2007, 04:52 PM
it's getting to the files that are uploaded there that you need. I'm not sure why people are having problems getting in either. But it's worth it.

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
If there was a files section here on TM, I'd be glad to upload everything here...

ShelbyMotorsports
02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
If there was a files section here on TM, I'd be glad to upload everything here...

FRANK!!!!!!:lol:

cordes
02-25-2007, 05:51 PM

You can upload them as a zipped file in your gallery. I uploaded a bin from one of my chips recently. Not sure if it worked, but it should have.

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but then you'd always be pointing people to it. I think a general purpose files section (with rules, if necessary) would be better...

cordes
02-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but then you'd always be pointing people to it. I think a general purpose files section (with rules, if necessary) would be better...

Agreed.

Whorse
02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
You guys have some good ideas. I am more than happy to ask all my questions here, but to start, wouldn't I need some kind of program that reads the cals, and a base cal to read, say a 90 2.5 T1?

cordes
02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Go to chem and download it. The final version of chem 2 should be coming out very soon, but the last one will work well.

This is the 91 TI cal for a manual trans. I have read that the only difference between this and the 90' cal was a little increased boost due to the change to the 568. It is the closest thing to the cal you requested, as the only other cal would have been a 90MP TI cal that I saw.

Whorse
02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
how does the 90 MP cal differ from stock? I want to learn before I modify anything, but the end goal is to make a cal for a 90 Minivan 5speed that will have a bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, more boost, etc...

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Go to chem and download it. The final version of chem 2 should be coming out very soon, but the last one will work well.

This is the 91 TI cal for a manual trans. I have read that the only difference between this and the 90' cal was a little increased boost due to the change to the 568. It is the closest thing to the cal you requested, as the only other cal would have been a 90MP TI cal that I saw.

I have 3-bar, +20, and +40 versions of the MP cals posted. I only posted the hi-torq cal for reference.

cordes
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I have 3-bar, +20, and +40 versions of the MP cals posted. I only posted the hi-torq cal for reference.

I know, but he requested a stock 90 TI cal. I guess I should have stated that there is about anything you could want already made up posted over there.

Whorse
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Alright I'm not looking at the code cordes posted in ChEM.

Now to start the rookie questions :thumb:

I'm using the quick viewer. Is this what I want to be looking at for reading the code?

How can I understand the addresses, what they mean, and if there is any relevance to them at all?

What do the different types mean (signed, unsigned, etc...)?

I did some reading on the MoparChEM site yesterday, so I have the very slightest idea of what some stuff does. I read the intro on what is going on in the ECU, and the parts on changing timing, fuel injectors, and the map sensor. Where should I look next for more info to understand what I'm reading exactly?

cordes
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok, you just have to look at the names of the tables, and that will tell you what it does in a very vauge way. I did a lot of reading before I got started and have an elephant like memory, so if you need to read the articles on chem 100 times do so.

Honestly, I would start of by just realizing how the ECU controls everything. Read through all the posts over on chem that look interesting.

Basically there are a few fueling tables that are used while the car is warmed up and running that you can adjust for the fuel. You can obviously adjust the boost goal etc. Play around with the cal for an imaginary setup to get the hang of it. Ask a lot of questions. I am sure that I sound like a total idiot in 99% of my posts where I am asking about how to do this or that.

Whorse
02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm sure I sound equally like a dummy asking in here, but I'm sure with a bit of help I can do this. I remember it was maybe 18 months ago I first took a wrench to my own car, and now I'm into engine rebuilds, top end rebuilds, and I feel like I can tackle almost anything mechanically that doesn't require a machine shop or alignment rack.

I'm hoping I can learn these cals well enough to offer something for VNTs. The 2.5 SBEC cal I want to do should be good practice and a great way for me to learn a bit since I don't have a turbo LM car, and can't see anything for doing a cal for my carb'd omni.

cordes
02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm hoping I can learn these cals well enough to offer something for VNTs. The 2.5 SBEC cal I want to do should be good practice and a great way for me to learn a bit since I don't have a turbo LM car, and can't see anything for doing a cal for my carb'd omni.

Heck, I would have paid good money to have the issues I had with the carb on mine worked out for sure. :lol:

Whorse
02-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I paid a fair chunk to get my POS omni going nicely. Took a new top end, new carb off Will Martin, new O2, and a few things cleaned up to do it, and even now my fuel economy isn't that good. I would think that it would have a really basic LM being carbeurated though. Would sure be cool to have an improved spark curve on it though.

Whorse
02-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Ok another question. Other than using the table viewer, is there a way to just look at the raw code? I might not have any clue what is going on but I'm curious what's in there. Is there a spot on ChEM with info on what the values mean? I searched and read a bit, and read the comments, but I don't think that is enough for me to know what the computer is actually 'doing'.

cordes
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Ok another question. Other than using the table viewer, is there a way to just look at the raw code? I might not have any clue what is going on but I'm curious what's in there. Is there a spot on ChEM with info on what the values mean? I searched and read a bit, and read the comments, but I don't think that is enough for me to know what the computer is actually 'doing'.

If you download some sort of code browser you can look at it. If you download some of the files on chem and play around with them they are annotated by Geoff, and are relatively easy to understand if you have the patience.

Whorse
02-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Alright. I read some of the comments in there, but I see there are a lot that don't have any and seem like they might be SBEC stuff that doesn't carry over from the LM.

Bubba
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm just scratching the surface on this stuff myself; registered with Chem and D-cal and purchased all the required equipment. I'm in the 90-91 SBEC catagory as well. Lots of info on those sites; enough to make your head spin!

cordes
02-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm just scratching the surface on this stuff myself; registered with Chem and D-cal and purchased all the required equipment. I'm in the 90-91 SBEC catagory as well. Lots of info on those sites; enough to make your head spin!

Agreed. I am sure that it will take a lot of work to get the 90-91 cals as advanced as the earlier ones, but given the way things have been going in the cal world in the las couple of years, it should take no time at all.

TurboJerry
03-05-2007, 04:17 AM

If you get an EPROM programmer, it usually has a basic hex editor. Winhex is a really good one, (not a programmer, but editing software) but I think this may be more confusing at the early stages of the game.