PDA

View Full Version : oil pump/dist intermediate shaft???

lancer117
02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
ok so i have a 89 common block and a 87 non-common block . my question is can i use the intermediate shaft from the non-common in my common block? they really look exacly the same , but there could be a differance that i can't see . the reason i ask is that the one out of the common block i think is bent , because when i put it in it spins ok half the way then tightens up .so what i did is test the one from the non-common into my block and it spins perfect . so i assume that the common block one is bent . aslo that block just came back from the machine shop today , with new intermediate shaft bushings .thanks alot need to get her back together :thumb:

GLHS0658
02-24-2007, 11:19 PM
YES they are the same.

88_pacifica
02-24-2007, 11:37 PM
You have to use the CB gear... It is different as it has a U shape for the belt vs a \_/ shape for the non-CB. Just noticed that today when I went to the 'yard myself.

22mopar
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
You have to use the CB gear... It is different as it has a U shape for the belt vs a \_/ shape for the non-CB. Just noticed that today when I went to the 'yard myself.

huh???? what???? he's asking about the auxilary shaft. that has nothing to do with belts.

additionally all 2.2 and 2.5's after say 1983 use a serpintine type drive belt for the alt and water pump. starting in 1989 the water pump spins backwards because the pump runs off the back of the belt... but this has NO significance to the man's question regarding the aux shaft which runs off the timing belt and you can use any sprocket (square or round tooth) on this shaft no problem.

So to the originator, yes you can use any aux shaft in any engine. the ONLY time this may pose a problem is if you have a carburated engine inwhich you need the aux shaft with the fuel pump cam on the shaft.

Here's an interesting tidbit. I built a 2.5 tall block with a 4.25" stroker billet crank. I cannot use the carburated aux shaft because the #1 rod will hit the fuel pump lobe... I even had to grind clearance on the block for all the rods to clear... now that's a lot of stroke :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Thats very interesting.

lancer117
02-25-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks , sounds like thats going to be fun ! good luck

88_pacifica
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
huh???? what???? he's asking about the auxilary shaft. that has nothing to do with belts.

Ok, I guess I should've clarified. There IS a difference between a CB and non-CB aux gear. As for if they will cross over, probably so as the only real difference is the shape of the "grooves." If I had to guess, I would say they technically would work, buy they are NOT the same.

additionally all 2.2 and 2.5's after say 1983 use a serpintine type drive belt for the alt and water pump. starting in 1989 the water pump spins backwards because the pump runs off the back of the belt... but this has NO significance to the man's question regarding the aux shaft...

Agreed, but that wasn't my point either and does have "0%" bearing on anything he asked...

which runs off the timing belt and you can use any sprocket (square or round tooth) on this shaft no problem.

Again, probably, but I'm sure it would wear out the belt slightly quicker, otherwise, Chryslers cheap---- wouldn't have "ponied up" the $$ to machine a "newer round-tooth replacement" gear for that shaft.

So to the originator, yes you can use any aux shaft in any engine.

Shaft, yes I agree they are identical with the exception of the carbed ones! As for the aux gear, it depends on what you want to run I guess.... I preferred to keep it uniform. I had to think about it to be sure as I was under the impression it made no difference myself, but after talking and researching, I chose to switch that gear as well! That's the joy of mechanics, it's whatever you, the builder, prefers...

cordes
02-25-2007, 11:18 PM
I think that I and everyone else knew that you were trying to describe that there was a square tooth and round tooth gear on the shaft.

Best way to deal with it is to just not feed the trolls.

88_pacifica
02-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Best way to deal with it is to just not feed the trolls.

Yep, you're prob right... I just felt like I had to find out the hard way and wanted to save the headache for someone else... Well noted though and prob a little "too agressive" in hindsight...

lancer117
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
yeah i still have the timing belt spocket form the CB so i'am just going to use that one . thanks