PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Problem

Moof
01-20-2006, 10:18 PM
1987 Daytona Pacifica, 2.2, 5-spd, Turbo, Digital Dash

I'd say about 2 weeks ago, I was driving around and noticed my turn signals weren't flashing. I'd press the lever, that indicated turn arrow would come on, the marker lights would be lit, but no blink.

First intuition was to check the flasher can.... uhh no flasher can. Check the fuse, fuse is good. Replaced the fuse for good measure and they still don't blink.

Any ideas? Or am I doomed to manually flash these suckers? :eyebrows:

shadow88
01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Moof, you're Canadian right? I chased this problem a couple of years ago for 2 1/2 hours on a daytona. It ended up after all the wiring was checked, to be the..

Daytime running light module. Grey one in the left inner fender well. There's a pair of relays in there that have been kind of "known" to fail in just the way you describe. Be sure to use a grey one as they are different. -jaim

Moof
01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Yessir, I am Canadian. Does my car even have a DRL module, being an '87 and pop-up headlights?

shadow88
01-21-2006, 12:59 AM
I had to come back tonight because I re-thought the question. Well the best way to answer that question is with another question. Does your orange lights come on with the ignition nad at least 10 kph? I don't think chrysler had drl's until 1990.
I'm sorry for potentially confusing the issue.

If you don't have drl, you should have a blue flasher somewhere near the fuse panel. I've never owned an 87 so I''m not sure exactly where the flasher is. If memory serves me right, and it's fading these days, I THINK I remember an 87 k-car having it behind the radio. It's probably best to look at a FSM for your car to be 100% sure.:confused:

Garret
01-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Moof, replace that "fuse" with a relay, it should have a relay not a fuse in the spot. You won't have DRLs in your car. Also I would check for a burnt out bulb, or just the turn signal filament. Had that happen on my daytona once drove me nuts for a month until I changed the lightbulbs, then it was all good

Moof
01-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Moof, replace that "fuse" with a relay, it should have a relay not a fuse in the spot. You won't have DRLs in your car. Also I would check for a burnt out bulb, or just the turn signal filament. Had that happen on my daytona once drove me nuts for a month until I changed the lightbulbs, then it was all good

I can't change the fuse with a relay. I looked at the entire fuse panel, FSM in hand. The turn signal is a 10A fuse. There's 3 relays on the panel: Hazard flasher, Ignition time delay relay, horn relay.

Would a burnt lightbulb ruin the flashing for both sides, all turning lights? Grrrr this car is gonna get kicked by me.

Garret
01-21-2006, 03:08 PM
The round relay is what you need to swap out, that still controls the clicking

Moof
01-21-2006, 03:33 PM
The hazard flasher? I pulled it out, my turning signals still worked (but still no flashing) If that were the problem, wouldnt pulling it out yield no turn signal lights at all?

I'll replace it anyways, cause I need to get to the bottom of this. Ruling out all possible causes is the only way.

Garret
01-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Nope with it pulled there is nothing to ground the current so it wouldn't flash at all

Moof
01-21-2006, 03:43 PM
But the lights still come on when i push the stalk to turn? (no blinking, of course)

Edit: i'm heading down to Canadian Tire to go buy a replacement. I'll letcha know how it goes.