PDA

View Full Version : smog crap elimination-84 rampage

mightyss
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
has anyone eliminated all smog crap off an 80's na 2.2??? as in ,no-cat,air pump,goofy holley carb, etc. im not talking race car here, fun show, nice weather cruiser. my area does not e-check, so that concern is gone. what would a person need(hypothetically) to do this conversion, ie carb, computer, ignition,etc. from what ive been reading , early 80's 4cyl pretty much suck for reliability and driveability. any input appreciated.....................ss

Birddog
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Would you be speaking of a bypass of FEDERALLY REQUIRED EMISSIONS DEVICES??

We don't advocate illegal activities here.

Whorse
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I didn't do it because I wanted to, I did it because they weren't there on my car (well air pump and EGR).

We do have emissions testing, and with a rebuilt holley carb, minus that equipment, stock original exhaust, I passed.

I redid the top end when the head gasket blew, and put on the rebuilt carb. New O2 as well, so a few bucks in fresh parts, but nothing unreasonable.

My car runs really nice for a beater, and starts every time. A car is only as reliable as the maintenance on it.

mightyss
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Birddog, are you for real??!!?? i didnt ask if anyone advocated it, i asked if anyone had done it. if these 4 cyl can run better w/out that stuff. surely, you dont think all the "hi-po" cars at this site are smog legal, do you??!!?? im sure the guy running 10's w/ his rampage has a cat. on that truck!! anyhow, that being said, i did get at least one response i was lookin for, thanks Whorse...ss

tryingbe
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
We don't advocate illegal activities here.

Better tell the mods to remove all the street racing stores from Strip & Street Stories.

Tony Hanna
02-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Personally I think I'd ditch all of it including the Holley carb and fabricate an adapter plate to mount a little Weber. Something like the 34 DGEC that they use for the 22R conversions would probably be perfect. If you've got a vacuum advance distributer, you're all set. That should put an end to any drivability/reliability issues.