PDA

View Full Version : MiniDash Beta 4 - Released

ShelGame
02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
OK, MiniDash Beta 4 is finally ready to release.

Here's the link to download:MiniDash Installer (http://www.squirrelpf.com/shelgame/MiniDash/MiniDash-Installer.exe)

If you want to see what it's all about, or just what's new, you can get the user guide here (http://www.squirrelpf.com/shelgame/MiniDash/MiniDashUser.pdf).

The user guide is included in the install as well.

MiniScan, a universal Turbo-Mopar code scanner, coming soon!

altered7151
02-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Looks good Rob, got it downloaded on my Treo. Seems to take a while to load up though, and when I open the demo file it says "connecting, please wait" for a while before it completes. Not sure if thats they way is should work or if there is an issue with my palm there. Looking forward to the color version and the scanner!

ShelGame
02-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Looks good Rob, got it downloaded on my Treo. Seems to take a while to load up though, and when I open the demo file it says "connecting, please wait" for a while before it completes. Not sure if thats they way is should work or if there is an issue with my palm there. Looking forward to the color version and the scanner!

No, it's not your Palm. The AutoID function in the DRB-I computers (LM, T2 SMEC) is really slow to respond. I'm going to work on speeding it up, but no promises. If you're connected to a car, it will be faster. I need to add that to the FAQ in the manual, I guess.

I held off on the new color screen for B5 because I need to re-write quite a bit of the dash control to really make it work (and look) good.

The scanner is actually running now, I just need to build some documentation and an installer for it. Maybe ready to release in week or 2.

TurboBuggy
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I get "Error 1: out of memory" right after the nag screen :(

zire 71???

mcsvt
02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I have the same error. Going to try a fresh install. I'll report back.

TurboBuggy
02-20-2007, 10:28 PM
also getting "Cannot run command line C:\Program Files\palmOne\Shelby\cmd.exe /c del MiniDashData.mdb. 02/20/07 21:27:35" on every hotsync

mcsvt
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Deleted Minidash and tried again. Still no go. Same error, I have 12mb out of 14 free.

ShelGame
02-21-2007, 12:19 AM
also getting "Cannot run command line C:\Program Files\palmOne\Shelby\cmd.exe /c del MiniDashData.mdb. 02/20/07 21:27:35" on every hotsync

Yeah, some systems don't let me delete the temporary .mdb I use to create the .csv. This error is nothing to worry about. I'm just going to stop trying to delete the temp file...

ShelGame
02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Deleted Minidash and tried again. Still no go. Same error, I have 12mb out of 14 free.

Hmm, that means there's not enough heap memory to load the graphics. With 12mb free, the heap should be plenty big enough, I'd think. Let me look into that one...

Thanks for the bug reports, too...

mcsvt
02-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I will try a couple other things. Also have a 128mb card in it, but not sure how to put things on it...

ShelGame
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
OK, I fixed the memory problem. I got the same error when loading MD on the Zire71 simulator. It turns out, I had left some of the "experimental" 3D overlays in the dash control. I deleted them, and it runs fine now on the simulator with only 4meg of memory (1meg heap).

Also, I changed the conduit to stop trying to delete my temp file. I'll figure out a better way to do that later.

Same download link above, just a new file. Version should show as "b0.4g" when installed on your Palm.

mcsvt
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Rob :thumb: I'll give a go when I get home tonight.

SwiftTech
02-21-2007, 05:28 PM
silly question I'm sure, but after down loading from the link, how do I install it onto my palm(its a palm vx)? Thanks!

mcsvt
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Just run the program, then the next time you sync your Palm it will be installed on the Palm.

Hope that helps.

SwiftTech
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
i'm getting a couple of errors when i run the program though. First I get- Cannot load function: ImGetModule
then I get- Cannot Load Funtion:ImGetDWord.

ShelGame
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
i'm getting a couple of errors when i run the program though. First I get- Cannot load function: ImGetModule
then I get- Cannot Load Funtion:ImGetDWord.

That one's in the FAQ in the user guide. You need to download and install the latest version of Palm Desktop (4.1). The older versions do not supoprt the Palm Installer...

SwiftTech
02-21-2007, 07:10 PM
okay, I was l'll download the user guide seperately and take a look. it looks like I only have pal desktop 3.1. thanks!

mcsvt
02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Rob, looks great!! The TH and RPM are no longer blured for me. And thanks for the Cable suggestions in the user manuel. I will try to get my issue sorted out so I can actually use it.

ShelGame
02-21-2007, 11:49 PM
That's good. Let me know how it works for you.

nomadman2001
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm getting an "Error 33 - Unsupported Bitmap format" on both Minidash and Miniscan. I have PalmOS Ver. 5.2 on my Sony Clie PEG-TJ27 and Palm Desktop 4.1.0 . Any thoughts? I'm not sure how to delete it from the PDA to reload it. If I just do another HotSync, will it just overwrite the old one?

ShelGame
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm getting an "Error 33 - Unsupported Bitmap format" on both Minidash and Miniscan. I have PalmOS Ver. 5.2 on my Sony Clie PEG-TJ27 and Palm Desktop 4.1.0 . Any thoughts? I'm not sure how to delete it from the PDA to reload it. If I just do another HotSync, will it just overwrite the old one?

It must be a Sony-specific issue. Sony used proprietary versions of PalmOS for thier PDA's. That's my only guess. The same error pops up on the Zodiac's and it's becuase of their unique screen format.

I'll try both programs on the Sony simulators I have (though, I don't have a TJ-27 specific simulator) and see what happens.

Edit: I just ran it with no problem on the Sony OS 5.0 simulators (both landscape and portrait mode).

Edit Edit: To delete MiniDash and MiniScan, you need to go to the launcher, and use the "delete" menu selection. Though, you should be able to simply re-install it over previous versions...

nomadman2001
02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
:( No luck - I downloaded a fresh copy, deleted it from the PDA and reloaded it. All seems to go well through those processes and it shows up on the list of apps but trying to run it still yields the bitmap error. Too bad, I thought I finally found a use for this thing I've had for 3 years and never used!

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
OK, I just uploaded a new version of MiniDash B4. All i really changed was the connection speed (it's much faster now). But, I also added a little graphics - hopefully this will fix the issue above on the Sony TJ-27. It's just a hunch, but I didn't have any color screens defined (only grayscale). Maybe Sony requires a color bitmap? The bitmaps I used are the same, but the attributes are set to color...

nomadman2001
02-25-2007, 08:03 PM
OK, I just uploaded a new version of MiniDash B4. All i really changed was the connection speed (it's much faster now). But, I also added a little graphics - hopefully this will fix the issue above on the Sony TJ-27. It's just a hunch, but I didn't have any color screens defined (only grayscale). Maybe Sony requires a color bitmap? The bitmaps I used are the same, but the attributes are set to color...

Cool! I'll give it a try and report back - keep your fingers crossed.

nomadman2001
02-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Cool! I'll give it a try and report back - keep your fingers crossed.

Woohoo!! It works - how COOL is this.....Rob, you da man!
Now to work on a cable.
Thanks again Rob.

mcsvt
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey Rob, I am back to having the memory error with the new upload. If I reinstall the last version it works fine.

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Rob, I am back to having the memory error with the new upload. If I reinstall the last version it works fine.

:(

What are the specs on your Palm? OS ver, model, etc...

It works fine on my IIIxe...

EDIT: nevermind, I looked back at your previous posts - Zire71, right?

I think I can fix it by doing a heap memory check before loading the bitmap. But that means you won't get the best graphics on the Zire eventhough the screen should support it. There must be a better way...

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
OK - Gary/Jim - I just uploaded a new version. All I did was re-compile for OS4.0 or later. OS 4.0 and later use a different bitmap compression algorithm. Hopefully, that will fix Gary's issue without screwing it up for Jim (the Sony).

I didn't want to force everyone to OS 4.0, but since the Palm IIIxe is already my minimum device, and it's pretty easy to upgrade one to OS4.0, I may go this way if it works...

nomadman2001
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
OK - Gary/Jim - I just uploaded a new version. All I did was re-compile for OS4.0 or later. OS 4.0 and later use a different bitmap compression algorithm. Hopefully, that will fix Gary's issue without screwing it up for Jim (the Sony).

I didn't want to force everyone to OS 4.0, but since the Palm IIIxe is already my minimum device, and it's pretty easy to upgrade one to OS4.0, I may go this way if it works...

I've already shut my laptop down (where the Palm desktop resides) so I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll save a copy of the earlier version just in case.

mcsvt
02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
:(

What are the specs on your Palm? OS ver, model, etc...

It works fine on my IIIxe...

EDIT: nevermind, I looked back at your previous posts - Zire71, right?

I think I can fix it by doing a heap memory check before loading the bitmap. But that means you won't get the best graphics on the Zire eventhough the screen should support it. There must be a better way...

Hey Rob I appreciate the help.

My Palm is a Tungsten|T running v.5.0. I have 12.4M of 14M available for memory.

The new file 4.0h still gives me the memory error. 4.0g still works for me.

ShelGame
02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey Rob I appreciate the help.

My Palm is a Tungsten|T running v.5.0. I have 12.4M of 14M available for memory.

The new file 4.0h still gives me the memory error. 4.0g still works for me.

OK, let me mull it over today. There has to be a way to fix this...

Darkapollo
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a Palm Tungston E, how do i tell what OS it is running? i cant seem to find the info.

ShelGame
02-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I have a Palm Tungston E, how do i tell what OS it is running? i cant seem to find the info.

On the main screen, hit the menu and then hit info. You can get the OS version there.

The Tungsten E will run the software, but it doesn't have a serial port (USB only). So, it can't be connected to a car...

altered7151
02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
On the main screen, hit the menu and then hit info. You can get the OS version there.

The Tungsten E will run the software, but it doesn't have a serial port (USB only). So, it can't be connected to a car...

I thought the USB Palms could be hooked up to the SCI easily? RX to TX, TX to RX, and GND to GND? :confused:

ShelGame
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I thought the USB Palms could be hooked up to the SCI easily? RX to TX, TX to RX, and GND to GND? :confused:

No, the USB-only palms do not have a UART (standard serial port). The USB port talks at like 152k(?) baud. And, there's no way to change it. Plus, I don't think the USB port on the Palm can be configured as a master, only as a slave.

The devices with the "universal" connector do have the hardware for the serial port, eventhough they are setup from Palm to sync via USB. They only need a special cable to use the built-in UART.

starman
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm getting this error too, maybe if you run the command like this you get away the error:

"C:\Program Files\palmOne\Shelby\cmd.exe" /c del MiniDashData.mdb

That because the space between the words Program Files, hope that helps.

I'm running version beta 4g on my palm m505 sucesfully !! I have order my cables and maybe can try connect to my ECU this weekend :D

I will try beta4h and report to you.

Rob, this is a very good work :thumb:

ShelGame
02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm getting this error too, maybe if you run the command like this you get away the error:

"C:\Program Files\palmOne\Shelby\cmd.exe" /c del MiniDashData.mdb

That because the space between the words Program Files, hope that helps.

I'm running version beta 4g on my palm m505 sucesfully !! I have order my cables and maybe can try connect to my ECU this weekend :D

I will try beta4h and report to you.

Rob, this is a very good work :thumb:

Ah, that's a good idea. I'll try to add that to the conduit for the next Beta...

starman
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I have installed the beta 4h on my m505 and it works !

mcsvt
03-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I am back to playing with my wiring... I am comparing my 89 FSM to the diag port and they are the same. Neither has the ground. Only what is called "Signal Gnd" on the pinout diagram posted before.

I am going to go out now and retry with my Palm, but I am not sure what is happening. Maybe my Palm does need the line level converter? Do I have to do something to simulate a sync situation?

Ok going out to mess with this. I will report back.

slasky
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
What cable would I need to hook my palm m130 up to the serial port on the LM?

mcsvt
03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Still no connection for me. Maybe the 4-conductor wire I am using isn't good enough... I guess I'll have to ponder of some more ideas.

ShelGame
03-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Still no connection for me. Maybe the 4-conductor wire I am using isn't good enough... I guess I'll have to ponder of some more ideas.

Do you know the P/N of your computer, by chance?

ShelGame
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I am back to playing with my wiring... I am comparing my 89 FSM to the diag port and they are the same. Neither has the ground. Only what is called "Signal Gnd" on the pinout diagram posted before.

I am going to go out now and retry with my Palm, but I am not sure what is happening. Maybe my Palm does need the line level converter? Do I have to do something to simulate a sync situation?

Ok going out to mess with this. I will report back.

Ahhh! Yes, you probably do need the converter. When I looked at it closer, I think that the line levels on the newer palms aren't compatible. Our ECU's are actually CMOS (0-5V logic) and the palm is low-voltage TTL (0-3.3V). Pretty close, but the tolerance is such that the minimum "hi" on the Palm may not trigger a "hi" on the ECU. I think that's the case here.

What you need is a line level converter on your ECU (or in the cable), and a RS232 or GPS cable for your Palm.

ShelGame
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
What cable would I need to hook my palm m130 up to the serial port on the LM?

The Palm M130 has an RS232 port on it, so you'll need a line level converter to connect it to the car. There are many out there. Do a search for "ttl to rs232 converter" - a bunch will pop up on robotics supply sites. Also, Jason Richardson (xratiracer) makes a very nice one with a 12V power supply built in.

Also, check out MoparChem.com. Because the LM is so open, you can put the converter right in the case.

mcsvt
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Ok Rob, I can handle that. I was thinking that may be the next step to try. Just for future reference my comp is an old cutom cal from Paul V.

I'll order a line lever converter today and give it a go when I get it in.

Thanks again :thumb:

METZ
03-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know of a web link to upgrade the OS for the palm IIIxe? I am running 3.1 and I'm getting a error message when I try to load minidash on my Palm, says it requires 4.0 or higher. I tried the Palm downloads section but it said they do not offer it anymore.

slasky
03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
The Palm M130 has an RS232 port on it, so you'll need a line level converter to connect it to the car. There are many out there. Do a search for "ttl to rs232 converter" - a bunch will pop up on robotics supply sites. Also, Jason Richardson (xratiracer) makes a very nice one with a 12V power supply built in.

Also, check out MoparChem.com. Because the LM is so open, you can put the converter right in the case.

I only have the cradle for it and it is has a USB plug on it. Do I need a cable that will plug into the palm and has a serial port on the end and then the ttl to rs232 converter as well?

ShelGame
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know of a web link to upgrade the OS for the palm IIIxe? I am running 3.1 and I'm getting a error message when I try to load minidash on my Palm, says it requires 4.0 or higher. I tried the Palm downloads section but it said they do not offer it anymore.

They pop up on eBay from time to time for not much money...

And, the 4.0 requirement was a mistake on my part. I was monkeying around with the graphics trying to get somethign to work. The next compiled release will be OK on OS 3.5.3 minimum for the IIIxe.

ShelGame
03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
I only have the cradle for it and it is has a USB plug on it. Do I need a cable that will plug into the palm and has a serial port on the end and then the ttl to rs232 converter as well?

Yep. You should be able to find a "modem" cable for it. It shouldn't be too much money. Then, plug that cable into the RS232 side of the line-level converter. The other side goes to the cars diag (SCI) connector.

starman
03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
OK... I have my cable for the Palm and TTL but...... it donīt connect :banghead:

This is what I get:

Palm RS-232 Cable - Universal: https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?products_id=109&osCsid=347f4fb4521adfaa2a66925295d7ca0e
Serial Interface Connector: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html
Palm m505

I have a Shadow GTS 91 (Mexican) but I'm running a custom cal based on Rob 90MP_MTX_3-Bar_Sw-Bst, I'm always get "0000 AutoID failed. No Coms." when I try to connect, the minidash work without error on my palm m505. The problem must be on the cables, first, this is my diagnostic port on my ecu:

http://dpcmx.net/fgv/md-diagconn.jpg
You can see it don't have 2 connectors.

http://dpcmx.net/fgv/md-diagconn-wired.jpg
Red = 12v on diag conn (and 5v with resistor and zenner on cable, tested with voltmeter)
Black = GND
Yellow = Rx
Blue = Tx

http://dpcmx.net/fgv/md-palm.jpg
This is my palm with the serial converter and cable to palm

http://dpcmx.net/fgv/md-ttl-rs232.jpg
When the serial converter have power the red led is illuminated and when I clic connect on minidash the yellow led is illuminated, then fail to connect and turns off

I have tried to invert the yellow and blue wires on the diagnostic connector with out luck, what else can be wrong ?

Can the length of the cable from diagnostic port to the serial converter be a problem ? what is the length limit ?

ShelGame
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
OK... I have my cable for the Palm and TTL but...... it donīt connect :banghead:

This is what I get:

Palm RS-232 Cable - Universal: https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?products_id=109&osCsid=347f4fb4521adfaa2a66925295d7ca0e
Serial Interface Connector: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html
Palm m505

I have a Shadow GTS 91 (Mexican) but I'm running a custom cal based on Rob 90MP_MTX_3-Bar_Sw-Bst, I'm always get "0000 AutoID failed. No Coms." when I try to connect, the minidash work without error on my palm m505. The problem must be on the cables, first, this is my diagnostic port on my ecu:

You can see it don't have 2 connectors.

Red = 12v on diag conn (and 5v with resistor and zenner on cable, tested with voltmeter)
Black = GND
Yellow = Rx
Blue = Tx

This is my palm with the serial converter and cable to palm

When the serial converter have power the red led is illuminated and when I clic connect on minidash the yellow led is illuminated, then fail to connect and turns off

I have tried to invert the yellow and blue wires on the diagnostic connector with out luck, what else can be wrong ?

Can the lenght of the cable from diagnostic port to the serial converter be a problem ? what is the lenght limit ?

Hmm, it looks and sounds like you have everything connected OK. But, it might be 3 things:

1) Is the engine running when you try to connect? It shouldn't be neccessary with the SBEC, but it is on the LM. Try it with the engine running.

2) You may need a null modem between the Palm cable and the interface. The website doesn't say if it's configured as a modem cable or as a sync cable. The difference is how the Rx and Tx pins are connected. A null modem will swap them. You can get a null modem at any computer or electronics store.

3) Have you tried a loopback test for the interface cable? Unplug the Rx and Tx lines from the SCI (diagnostic)connector, and connect them together. Then connect the DB9 end to a PC or to Palm. Open HyperTerm on your PC (or an equivalent terminal emulator for the Palm) and open a serial connection. Anything you type and send, should be echoed back. If not, then the interface isn't working correctly.

starman
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Hmm, it looks and sounds like you have everything connected OK. But, it might be 3 things:

1) Is the engine running when you try to connect? It shouldn't be neccessary with the SBEC, but it is on the LM. Try it with the engine running.

2) You may need a null modem between the Palm cable and the interface. The website doesn't say if it's configured as a modem cable or as a sync cable. The difference is how the Rx and Tx pins are connected. A null modem will swap them. You can get a null modem at any computer or electronics store.

3) Have you tried a loopback test for the interface cable? Unplug the Rx and Tx lines from the SCI (diagnostic)connector, and connect them together. Then connect the DB9 end to a PC or to Palm. Open HyperTerm on your PC (or an equivalent terminal emulator for the Palm) and open a serial connection. Anything you type and send, should be echoed back. If not, then the interface isn't working correctly.

1) Yes, I have tried with engine running and do not connect.

2) This must be (hope so), because...

3) No, it do not work on my PC :( time to visit the electronics store for the null modem cable http://dpcmx.net/portal/Smileys/default/rezando.gif

starman
03-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Ok, I have made some test with the null modem cable and it don't work and the yellow led on the serial converter do not turn on. Then i check on my pc and hyper terminal don't have the echo option on, that way i was thinking the converter was not working, but it was!

I left the connection like i have originally and on the hyperterminal only have 1 character return when i put together the rx and tx wires from the diagnostic connector and when i pull apart i don't receive nothing, so the loopback is working.

What else can be wrong ?

Darkapollo
03-06-2007, 11:44 PM
:-/ darn and i like the color screen on my tungston...
Ok I also have a Handspring Treo and my Palm VII which IIRC you said WILL work since it is not USB based correct?

ShelGame
03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Which Treo? I think they both should work fine.

Does the T|E have built-in Bluetooth like the E2? If it does, I may have a way to use it in the future - wireless datalogging :)

BTW, here's a teaser for Beta 5...

ShelGame
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok, I have made some test with the null modem cable and it don't work and the yellow led on the serial converter do not turn on. Then i check on my pc and hyper terminal don't have the echo option on, that way i was thinking the converter was not working, but it was!

I left the connection like i have originally and on the hyperterminal only have 1 character return when i put together the rx and tx wires from the diagnostic connector and when i pull apart i don't receive nothing, so the loopback is working.

What else can be wrong ?

Try this - Using your interface, setup a Hyperterminal connection to your car at 7200 baud (the car uses 7812, but it should be close enough for a byte or two). And send a ^V (cntrl V or 16 if you can send it in HEX ). You should get back 4 characters - (some little graphic symbol thing, looks kind of like an "L"), S, ^W, and a blank ( D4, 53, 23, & FF - if you can display the data in HEX).

Let me know what you get.

starman
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Try this - Using your interface, setup a Hyperterminal connection to your car at 7200 baud (the car uses 7812, but it should be close enough for a byte or two). And send a ^V (cntrl V or 16 if you can send it in HEX ). You should get back 4 characters - (some little graphic symbol thing, looks kind of like an "L"), S, ^W, and a blank ( D4, 53, 23, & FF - if you can display the data in HEX).

Ok, i will try this later on my lunch time and get back to you.

starman
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Well... my lunch time is over :D

On Hyperterminal i can't set the 7200 baud, the options only came from 4800 then 9600, i try both and nothing happen.

Then i find a terminal software for the palm (ptelnet and it's free) and it has the same option: ..., 4800 then 9600, etc... but... looking into the configuration options of this software i have found 5 option for the port:

infrared this was the default option
usb
usb
uart1 irda (beam)
uart2 hotsync

I have tested the loopback and nothing happen, then i was switching ports until uart2 hotsync and then it works. I don't have more time to test the palm on the diagnostics connection on my ecu.

I have this questions:

1.- Maybe the Minidash is trying to connect to the wrong port ? There is a way to select the port to connect ?

2.- How can I specify the 7200 baud option ?

3.- The parameters to connect are 8 bits, 1 stop bit and No parity ?

mcsvt
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Just got my linelevel converter intoday. Need to pick up a resistor to go from 12 to 5 this weekend and I will get into this testing :)

ShelGame
03-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Well... my lunch time is over :D

On Hyperterminal i can't set the 7200 baud, the options only came from 4800 then 9600, i try both and nothing happen.

Then i find a terminal software for the palm (ptelnet and it's free) and it has the same option: ..., 4800 then 9600, etc... but... looking into the configuration options of this software i have found 5 option for the port:

infrared this was the default option
usb
usb
uart1 irda (beam)
uart2 hotsync

I have tested the loopback and nothing happen, then i was switching ports until uart2 hotsync and then it works. I don't have more time to test the palm on the diagnostics connection on my ecu.

I have this questions:

1.- Maybe the Minidash is trying to connect to the wrong port ? There is a way to select the port to connect ?

2.- How can I specify the 7200 baud option ?

3.- The parameters to connect are 8 bits, 1 stop bit and No parity ?

No, I specify the UART port to open. It's hard-coded in for now.

I thought that HyperTerm could use 7200 baud (most serial ports can), but I looked and you are right - no 7200 baud setting. Let me look for a solution. I'll post back later.

EDIT: OK, try this test ap I built. Use the button for T1 SMEC (the SBEC uses the same protocol) and tell me what text is in each field.

Save the file to your hard drive, and then just remove the .txt extension. It's a standard palm .prc file. Use the palm install tool to load it onto your Palm.

mcsvt
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Just trying to work out the resistor... Can I use a 7805 resistor? Or would you recommend something else?

Hope to be up and running this weekend.

ShelGame
03-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Just trying to work out the resistor... Can I use a 7805 resistor? Or would you recommend something else?

Hope to be up and running this weekend.

The 7805 is a power supply. You should be able to use that (the interfaces with a built in power supply use it), if you can fit it in.

In my user guide (and posted previously in the B2 or B3 thread) is a diagram to build a simple power supply using a resistor and diode. That's also how Starman has done it...

mcsvt
03-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks Rob. I was just trying to think of packaging. And while researching my options completely forgot about the diagram in the User PDF...

starman
03-09-2007, 11:41 PM
No, I specify the UART port to open. It's hard-coded in for now.

I thought that HyperTerm could use 7200 baud (most serial ports can), but I looked and you are right - no 7200 baud setting. Let me look for a solution. I'll post back later.

EDIT: OK, try this test ap I built. Use the button for T1 SMEC (the SBEC uses the same protocol) and tell me what text is in each field.

Save the file to your hard drive, and then just remove the .txt extension. It's a standard palm .prc file. Use the palm install tool to load it onto your Palm.

I have tried the app on my palm and i think it do not connect, the result was:
Serial Data Rx'd = Blank
Serial Data Tx'd = 16
Returned ID Code = 0000

I have change my ECU to other i have for backup and it do the same :(

ShelGame
03-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I have tried the app on my palm and i think it do not connect, the result was:
Serial Data Rx'd = Blank
Serial Data Tx'd = 16
Returned ID Code = 0000

I have change my ECU to other i have for backup and it do the same :(

Hmm, it should echo back the command 16 at least. It's definitely not connected. I'm not sure what's wrong...

ShelGame
03-10-2007, 10:59 AM
OK, I think I know what the problem is. But, I need to do some more reseach first. Has anyone else tried MiniDash or MinScan with a later model Palm (specifically a T3 or later or E2)?

There's a power pin on the Palm connector that I might need to enable up in software. I need to read about it some more...

Wait, you said the loopback test worked, right? If so, then it's not the power pin. And, I don't know what's wrong.

mcsvt
03-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Rob, I wired in the resistor and diode today. When I click the auto-id on MiniDash it makes my fuel pump run constantly. Either way I wire Rx to Rx or Rx to Tx.
Setup:
Palm Tungsten T
Serial cable out of Palm
Line Level Converter
Resistor and Diode wired in

When adding a null modem adapter in I get no response. I don't have my Palm dock or Laptop with me to test your loopback tests.

I didn't test MiniScan, I will report back in a few.

ShelGame
03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Rob, I wired in the resistor and diode today. When I click the auto-id on MiniDash it makes my fuel pump run constantly. Either way I wire Rx to Rx or Rx to Tx.
Setup:
Palm Tungsten T
Serial cable out of Palm
Line Level Converter
Resistor and Diode wired in

When adding a null modem adapter in I get no response. I don't have my Palm dock or Laptop with me to test your loopback tests.

I didn't test MiniScan, I will report back in a few.

No, if the fuel pump runs, it's something MD is doing. Make sure the car is started before you start MiniDash (or MiniScan) and try it again. What ECU do you have (type, year)?

mcsvt
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok I will try with the car running and report back.
89 SMEC with a custom cal.
2.5L T-II

edit:
Nothing happened with the car on. Maybe my computer isn't compatible?

ShelGame
03-11-2007, 01:20 PM
If you want, download the serial test ap I posted above and try that. It basically just return the ECU ID. Try both the T1 SMEC and T2 SMEC buttons. You will have to turn the car off and restart it between tries. If it can find the ID, it should be compatible with your ECU. I've persoanlly tested MiniDash and MiniScan with the S60, T2, 2.2 T1 and 2.5 T1 SMEC codes with my flashable SMEC in my Daytona. For the LM and 2.2 T1/T2 SMEC code, the engine has to be running BEFORE you start MiniDash. Otherwise, it doesn't connect right (the AutoID fails). You need to at least crank the engine over so that the ECU is in "run" mode. The 2.5 T1 and SBEC code it shouldn't matter if the engine is running or not.

Who did your cal?

mcsvt
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I'll give that a go. I will be near my dock station tonight to put the app on my Palm. Today when I tried, the car was running then I started up MiniDash.

My cal is an older one by Paul V. I am not sure what year the PO bought the cal, but I know it's been in the car for a while.

ShelGame
03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
My cal is an older one by Paul V. I am not sure what year the PO bought the cal, but I know it's been in the car for a while.

I guess it could be the cal. I think Paul is/was re-compiling the code into his own binary. I have to beleive he wouldn't have changed anything to do with the DRB routines (otherwise normal scantools wouldn't work), but you never know.

mcsvt
03-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a spare T1 SMEC sitting around, I could throw it in and retest. I don't think my car would run on it though with the +40's, I don't have a afpr to adjust for them. But if I can just turn the key on and see if MiniDash responds, then I might give it a go.

Let me know if you think that would be worth trying.

ShelGame
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a spare T1 SMEC sitting around, I could throw it in and retest. I don't think my car would run on it though with the +40's, I don't have a afpr to adjust for them. But if I can just turn the key on and see if MiniDash responds, then I might give it a go.

Let me know if you think that would be worth trying.

If it's a 2.5 T1 SMEC, then it should be OK to just key it on and see if it gives you the ID. MiniScan should even be able to give you error codes that way. If it's a 2.2 T1 (88), then it's the same DRB-I code that's in the LM's and early SMEC's and it needs the engine running to work.

What P/N is on the T1 SMEC you have?

mcsvt
03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I'll check the P/N when I get home. But I am almost positive it's a 2.5L T1 ATX. I was just going to use it to socket or build as a flashable.

ShelGame
03-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Any updates?

mcsvt
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I looked at the spare SMEC I have, but there are no numbers on the outside and I have to find my torx to pull it apart. The "duct tape" label says 89 T1 ATX. Haven't had a chance to try the loop back yet.

streetlamp
03-31-2007, 07:15 PM
I just saw this, got really excited and jumped on ebay to buy a cheap palm. I went for the IIIx just because thats what I saw was being used on your screen shots only to then scroll down and see its not supported :(
Anyway I can get this IIIx to work with this?

ShelGame
03-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Actually, I think the IIIx is supported. It's the same as the IIIxe, just with less memory. You will need afterburner (or equivalent) to overclock it to ~26Mhz. But the processor in the IIIx should be able to handle it. You'll also need to upgrade to OS3.5.3 and Palm Desktop 4.1 (both free from Palm).

streetlamp
03-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Haha well anyway now I have a IIIx and a IIIc on the way, Ill see how they go.

Ok so I just ordered one of these http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000CGZGKG.01-A1E3TV3VOQA5K1._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
I can just cut off the one end and do TX-RX and RX-TX right for just a very basic connection or do I really need to get one of those line converter things. Its a 85 Omni GLH with the stock computer. Btw for anyone interested in a nice clean cable maybe then Amazon has the SCI connectors for $30 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006V2BQE/ref=nosim/?tag=nextag-auto-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B0006V2BQE&linkCode=asn

ShelGame
04-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Haha well anyway now I have a IIIx and a IIIc on the way, Ill see how they go.

I can just cut off the one end and do TX-RX and RX-TX right for just a very basic connection or do I really need to get one of those line converter things.

Nope, you definitely need a line level converter for the older Palms. The Palm uses 12V line levels, and the ECU uses 5V. They won't talk to each other without the converter.

Clay
04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok, I just loaded minidash onto my Palm Vx. When I go to start the app I get "error 2: system version 4.0 or greater required to run this application". I thought this would work with version 3.0?

ShelGame
04-01-2007, 12:08 PM
The next release will work with OS3.5.3 minimum. I was trying to fix some graphics problems on the Sony devices, and I thought I needed to go up to 4.0.

cs daytona
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
when do you expect the next minidash to be released?

ShelGame
04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I could release one any time, I just want to finish polishing up the graphics on the hi-res devices. And, I need to add lo-res color support.

Also, it may get the point where I have to release 2 versions - 1 for OS3.5.3 (lo-res B&W only) and 1 for OS4.1 and newer (with color and hi-res).

cs daytona
04-01-2007, 11:40 PM
thats tight. not to rush but can you hurry j/k. take ur time and get it right!

ShelGame
04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I could release one any time, I just want to finish polishing up the graphics on the hi-res devices. And, I need to add lo-res color support.

Also, it may get the point where I have to release 2 versions - 1 for OS3.5.3 (lo-res B&W only) and 1 for OS4.1 and newer (with color and hi-res).

Actually, if you look at my avatar above, you can see what I'm working on now. I want to make the button bar along the bottom of the screen appear to be "on the dash" so to speak. Right now, they're just plain black on a white background.

Here's a link to a pre - Beta 5 release. This does not have everything I wanted to do for B5, but it's close. And, it will work with the older devices on OS3.5.3 minimum.

Beta 5 Pre (http://www.squirrelpf.com/shelgame/MiniDash/MiniDash-Installer_Beta5_Pre.exe)

Mario
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I have that old Palm III E, what do you recommend I purchase to run this, Rob?

streetlamp
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I just ordered this guy http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html
A long with that, my IIIc on the way and the palm serial cable I hope I can get it working. Will be sure to post pics / videos.

ShelGame
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I have that old Palm III E, what do you recommend I purchase to run this, Rob?

Palm IIIe won't run it, I think. It uses OS3.1 and isn't upgradeable. At a minimum, you need a IIIx or xe upgraded to OS3.5.3.

For the really cool graphics, you'll need a hi-res color device (OS5.0 +).

Mario
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I should have rephrased that. If I want the high res, what model should I buy?

ShelGame
04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Ah - I like with the Tungsten E2. But, there are other Palms that will run it nicely as well (Zire 71, 72). Stay away from the Tungsten E, though, it's USB-only. No serial port...

cs daytona
04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Ah - I like with the Tungsten E2. But, there are other Palms that will run it nicely as well (Zire 71, 72). Stay away from the Tungsten E, though, it's USB-only. No serial port...

yeah, the T/E is the one palm i DO have, haha. i got a m100 now. just hate that is uses batteries and its not rechargeable. but hey, it was free!

monkeymodulator
04-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Running beta 5 pre b.05a I get the following error " This Beta has expired. Please download the latest version." I'm running Palm OS v. 3.5.2H1.5 on a Handspring Visor Prism. Can't wait to see it run:)

ShelGame
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Running beta 5 pre b.05a I get the following error " This Beta has expired. Please download the latest version." I'm running Palm OS v. 3.5.2H1.5 on a Handspring Visor Prism. Can't wait to see it run:)

Hmm, really? you shouldn't get that until mid-May or so. Check the date on your Palm. Make sure it's right...

ShelGame
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
OK, there's a "new" Beta 5 Pre-release posted (same link as before). The only change is a little more in-depth system check to determine the right screen mode to use. Right now, I'm only supporting 3 modes - lo-res B&W, hi-res B&W, and hi-res true color (only on OS5+ ARM powered devices). If I figure out an easy way to do it, I may add support for lo-res color devices. But, it looks like they just don't have enough memory to really make it work.

For the "final" Beta 5 release, I still need to fix the throttle slider and the button bar area on the hi-res devices. Lo-res devices won't see any changes until Beta 6 (when I add the run analyzer stuff - HP/Torq calculations, 0-60, etc.).

sdac guy
04-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Ah - I like with the Tungsten E2. But, there are other Palms that will run it nicely as well (Zire 71, 72). Stay away from the Tungsten E, though, it's USB-only. No serial port...Hey Rob, Im probably going to buy a palm device soon. I've been looking at some of the E2's on ebay, and also looking at the palm site comparing specs. There is no mention of serial being supported, but I certainly trust that you know what you're talking about. So, if I get an E2, what serial cable do I buy, and does it just plug into the "multi" port on the E2?

Thanks, Barry

ShelGame
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey Rob, Im probably going to buy a palm device soon. I've been looking at some of the E2's on ebay, and also looking at the palm site comparing specs. There is no mention of serial being supported, but I certainly trust that you know what you're talking about. So, if I get an E2, what serial cable do I buy, and does it just plug into the "multi" port on the E2?

Thanks, Barry

The E2 has a serial port, but it's not at RS232 line levels and doesn't support all RS232 signals. Only Rx,Tx, and GND. Which is all we need anyway.

Try www.pcables.com (http://www.pcables.com) - they have a serial cable for the E2 (or any Palm with the "new" universal connector). Though, thier cables do not convert the Palm signals to RS232. They are LV-TTL. Theoretically, this should be able to communicate directly with the car (no converter neeed). But, I think in reality, it won't work for 2 reasons.

1. The Palm uses LV-TTL signals and the car uses CMOS. There is a possibility that a "high" signal on the Palm will not be high enough voltage to register as a "high" on the ECU. Meaning, no coms at all.

2. Directly connecting the Palm to the ECU means no signal isolation for the Palm. A stray voltage spike could fry your Palm. Or at least the UART inside it.

So, I'd suggest using a cable from SerialIO.com (http://serialio.com/products/cables/PalmMulti_RS232.php) like this. It has a built-in LV-TTL to RS-232 converter (intended for GPS devices). Then, use a line level converter on the car side like the older Palms need to. That way, you get signal isolation (if anything gets fried, it will be the converter on the car side). SerilaIO stuff seems to be cheaper and, you can use the car-side converter with a PC as well.

sdac guy
04-04-2007, 08:45 PM
... So, I'd suggest using a cable from SerialIO.com (http://serialio.com/products/cables/PalmMulti_RS232.php) like this. It has a built-in LV-TTL to RS-232 converter (intended for GPS devices). Then, use a line level converter on the car side like the older Palms need to. That way, you get signal isolation (if anything gets fried, it will be the converter on the car side). SerilaIO stuff seems to be cheaper and, you can use the car-side converter with a PC as well. Perfect! I have a couple of the line level converter kits that Chad (I think) sold back in the mopar_ecm days. So this all should work fine.

Thanks loads,

Barry

Mario
04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice job on MiniDash 5!!! Too bad I can't test it on a car yet...

ShelGame
04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it looks good - and it works. But playback seems slow on my E2. Ineed to do some more testing before I "officially" release B5...

streetlamp
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I just got my palm and minidash says I need at least 4.0, I thought it would run on 3.5. Any idea how to upgrade my palm IIIc to 4.0 or can you release a older version? thanks

streetlamp
04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Nvm I just found your prebeta 5 on moparchem and it runs great :)
Im gonna try to install it on the omni with the dock as a serial cable tonight and my line converter since I havent got my serial cable in the mail. Can anyone post up a stock 85 omni gear ratio and so forth so I can put the info in? Ill let you know how it goes, I also got miniscan so will be testing that too

mcsvt
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
You can go here and select your transmission:
http://www.squirrelpf.com/gearingcalc/index.php

ShelGame
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
With the cradle, you're going to need a null modem. You can get one at Radio Shack for not much money. The reason is, the cradle and the sync cable setup the Palm as a "slave" to the PC. You need a modem cable so that the Palm is the "master". A null modem swaps the connections for you.

Right now, the car stuff (gear ratios, etc.) isn't used. That's for the run analyzer that I'll finish for Beta 6.

slasky
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I have the same cable and converter as starman and I can't get it to work either. I am using a palm m130 and the car is running on 87 electronics. I tried a nul modem adapter and it still does not work. Any suggestions?

ShelGame
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Have you tried the loopback test I posted earlier? First, make sure your interface is working right...

UltimateSleeper
04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Anyone out there handy enough to build some cables? I have a palm IIIxe that I use with the ls1m.com software and it works great. But I am not sure if I am confident in making my own cable.

I would pay someone for a working cable :eyebrows:

ShelGame
04-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Contact XRATTIRACER (Jason Richardson) - he makes a nice converter.

UltimateSleeper
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Contact XRATTIRACER (Jason Richardson) - he makes a nice converter.

Is he a member of the forum...I did a search and could not find him...maybe I didn't search correctly.

Could you pm me his contact info

cordes
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Is he a member of the forum...I did a search and could not find him...maybe I didn't search correctly.

Could you pm me his contact info

He is over on moparchem.com pretty regularly. I would try to contact him there.

ShelGame
05-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Just an FYI for everyone - I was trying to build myself a second interface cable this weekend. It turns out, the SCI pigtail I bought on eBay (Actron, I think) did NOT have a connection internally for 12V - only Rx, Tx, and GND.

I'm not sure about the other companies SCI pigtails available. Just beware, if your interface needs 12V from the car, make sure you can get it from the SCI connector...

cs daytona
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
thats how mine is. it has a female socket on the side of the sci. i was going to make a splice at the tps 5v signal and connect to one of those radio shack ac adapter end plug things that fit my ext 12v plug on the sci so i can unplug when i need to.

Mario
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Ah, this is the program I remember. So can this be used with SBEC cars?

ShelGame
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Yep, it will even work with V6 cars when it's finished. My car's ignition switch has gone flaky, so I haven't been able to test the latest version...

Here's the thread with the most recent info - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35202

tkelly27
05-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Any chance we can get the .PRC for this? I'm smart enough to figure out how to get loggers to run on a laptop emulator, but too dumb to get the .PRC from an installer.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/200445-palmos-your-laptop-no-more-needing-batteries.html