PDA

View Full Version : Being safe

Dave
02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Well something's come up and I wont be able to afford to buy a WB in time for race season. I have a set of +40's, and I'll be buying an AFPR soon. I have the stock pump still and the current setup described in my sig along with a F350 intercooler. I'm taking it to the dyno once I get the AFPR and tuning it there with their WB 02 sniffer.

I wont be able to tune it any other time unless at the dyno; my question is, is this an okay solution to saving some money and tuning in my vehicle? The AFR wont change dramatically much by baro. pressure and ambient air temp will it? I want to see how high I can go on the stock pump with the 40's. I'll have alky going in soon as well.

BadAssPerformance
02-19-2007, 10:03 AM
As long as you make sure it is pretty rich, you should be ok. I set the fuel pressure on my Shadow in December 2001 and have not changed anything since.

mo' parts
02-19-2007, 10:05 AM
im pretty sure the stock pump is good for just upwards of 250hp.
it was enough in my old tona to run 22psi on +40's, but i would start saving for that larger pump.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Your really going to have to turn the fuel pressure down, I ran +20's and I seem to remember around low 40's for base fuel pressure.

cordes
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Your really going to have to turn the fuel pressure down, I ran +20's and I seem to remember around low 40's for base fuel pressure.

but then to run really high boost one would need a RRAFPR. I think the way to go would be to get a burner and make a custom cal for it. Much easier, and safer than messing with the stock stuff. The burner and chips will cost you as much as an AFPR which would not need much adjustment with a custom cal.

I would actually tune on the street if you have a wide open spot with no police like I have where I live now. I have read in several places that the AFR will numerically increase about .5 to .6 on the street vs. the dyno due to the added load on the motor. If you do purchase some dyno time, you might want to take that into account.

tryingbe
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Get the 255 pump now.

Dave
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I would actually tune on the street if you have a wide open spot with no police like I have where I live now. I have read in several places that the AFR will numerically increase about .5 to .6 on the street vs. the dyno due to the added load on the motor. If you do purchase some dyno time, you might want to take that into account.

Is that not why we tune for 11.5:1 on the dyno for a forced induction application? Or is that for a different reason? Not trying to be a smartass, just curious to be honest. If that's not the case and if I tuned for 11.5:1 and ended up being at 12:1 should I tune for 11:1?? Fat and happy is good for a 782 head, big boost, and stock internals. ;)

Tryingbe, have you had a stock pump fail or something during a run? I'm trying to be cheap, like everyone, but safe. I'm moving out next month and I want to get the van out of the way a little before I move.

cordes
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Is that not why we tune for 11.5:1 on the dyno for a forced induction application? Or is that for a different reason? Not trying to be a smartass, just curious to be honest. If that's not the case and if I tuned for 11.5:1 and ended up being at 12:1 should I tune for 11:1?? Fat and happy is good for a 782 head, big boost, and stock internals. ;)

Tryingbe, have you had a stock pump fail or something during a run? I'm trying to be cheap, like everyone, but safe. I'm moving out next month and I want to get the van out of the way a little before I move.

I believe that guys who are shooting for 11.5:1 are going for that on the street rather than the dyno.

BadAssPerformance
02-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Who's racing dyno's these days anyways? ;)

DodgeZ
02-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Well something's come up and I wont be able to afford to buy a WB in time for race season. I have a set of +40's, and I'll be buying an AFPR soon. I have the stock pump still and the current setup described in my sig along with a F350 intercooler. I'm taking it to the dyno once I get the AFPR and tuning it there with their WB 02 sniffer.

I wont be able to tune it any other time unless at the dyno; my question is, is this an okay solution to saving some money and tuning in my vehicle? The AFR wont change dramatically much by baro. pressure and ambient air temp will it? I want to see how high I can go on the stock pump with the 40's. I'll have alky going in soon as well.

I see it now.....

http://boostedmopar.com/temp/josh%20003.jpg

tryingbe
02-20-2007, 12:06 PM

My 3 cylinder is now burning oil after I changed the fuel pump because the preious fuel pump died.

You can cheap out on $120 for a fuel pump now or you can rebuild your engine later, your choice.

Ground Rat
02-20-2007, 10:01 PM
I would actually tune on the street if you have a wide open spot with no police like I have where I live now.
+1 to tuning on the street.

Whorse
02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Who's racing dyno's these days anyways? ;)

Browsed any Supra forums lately?

BadAssPerformance
02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Lol...

Bubba
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Bryan, you can get a walbro 255 on ebay for around $100. That's where I bought mine.

BadAssPerformance
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Paul Smith's van went 12.60's on the stock fuel pump. I kept telling him to get a bigger one and he proved me wrong!

turbovanmanČ
02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Paul Smith's van went 12.60's on the stock fuel pump. I kept telling him to get a bigger one and he proved me wrong!

He finally put one in, :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
02-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Yeah, he finally did...