PDA

View Full Version : New project 89' daytona and engine rebuild

dr_amx
02-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Well I picked up an 89' Daytona (2.5 turbo 5spd) this weekend with engine troubles wasn’t sure what the issue was but soon found out. the first thing that I found when I opened the valve cover was #3 cylinder rockers were lying in the bottom of the head. Then I pulled the head off and found that there is a hole in it, but the block still looks good. Funny that after 168,000 miles that the block still has cross hatch marks in the cylinders. If anyone has tips on the best way to rebuild I am very open to suggestion but I am on a budget. I want to have a good driver but plenty of power. I have been reading a lot about these turbo dodges over the last 6 months just waiting for the right project to come along. I also am wondering about valve spring/lifter options for the 2.5 head I read on one guys build about using 3.3 springs and 3.1 chev retainers but it did not have any year info or part numbers. Thanks, Ben

pics http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t209/dr_amx/

overlordsshadow
02-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Also rebuilding a 2.5 right now. Have a thread started already. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11640 any other questions pm me.

Orangetona
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
The car looks like its in good shape. :thumb:

dr_amx
02-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah it seems to be in great shape aside from being packed with tons of South Dakota Dirt.

Well today I got the engine pulled and I washed most of the parts in the washing cabinet today, and found that the head has a few small cracks in the head I will pressure test it in the morning. I also resurfaced the flywheel and heated a few tough bolts on the turbo mount and support bracket. Tomorrow I will roll out and wash the engine bay and trans its starting to get warm around here and is a good time.

dr_amx
02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I got most of the head work done today and the block is cleaned and ball honed. I should have my engine kit by thursday or friday. What is a good book for engine assy. tourqe specs and such?

lordzedd
02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Pick up an 89 Factory Service Manual. They pop up occasionally in the For Sale sections on here and the other forums. FWD Performance usually has some available as well, that's where I got mine.

DC Turismo
02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Definite tasks to tackle in rebuilding these engines:

1. Purchase a new lower end seal kit from Mopar. Redo all seals in block and also purchase the camseal and endcap. This will be sure that no oil will ever leak (as long as you do it right lol)

2. Stainless Steel Turbo Lines - replace those rubber pieces of crap with these. Go through either turbosunleashed or fwdperformance.com for these.

3. If the head is cracked, then you are sure to be able to find another one here on the board for pretty cheap.

4. I pulled a 2.5 from a turbo-mini back in August and put it in my Daytona. The van had unknown miles on it, but the cross hatchings were on the cylinder walls in this too. BUT, it seems that a wrist pin is bad and this causes a very loud ticking noise both when starting up as well as gassing. It may be wise to pull the pistons, check them over, and then also redo the wristpins. I will be doing so on the next motor I do.

5. Check the bearings, if need be have new ones installed.

6. Upgrading the engine setup from a t1 to a t2 (intercooling) is fairly easy. Go with a Garrett T2 turbo and find a rad/ic setup from a t2 vehicle (Daytonas are most prominent from years 87 - 89) and you could make this work - 25 extra horse power roughly.

Hope that helps

dr_amx
03-29-2007, 11:12 PM
It Runs!!! Well sort of. I got is started and took it for a little drive tonight. It has a gurgle in the exhaust and a leak I think it’s the turbo to manifold dose that need a gasket and if it does why did I not get one in my engine kit? Also the smell of the exhaust is not what I expected I think it might be the cat I will be taking it out tomorrow. I also have a coolant leak from the back of the engine somewhere I will sort all this stuff out tomorrow!

Clay
03-29-2007, 11:38 PM
congrats!

no gasket for the turbo. Most guys put a thin layer of heavy grease (ie bearing grease) on the mating surfaces. This heats up and cooks out the liquid leaving a "coke gasket" behind. Works well!

WickedShelby88
03-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Check the dodge garage too on some T2 options. You can run +20's on a 2.5 with a T2 SMEC and it will run fairly well. That is assuming you intercool it and have the charge sensor installed somewhere functional. I love electric blue tonas. Thats one of the first 89's I've seen though. Most of the ones I run across are 90 and up.

dr_amx
03-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Well I got the exhaust leak fixed it helps if you tighten the bolt for the turbo mount not nearly as loud well until I make up some new exhast for it. I also have an issue with the car pulling to the right when I gun it. I think I have a bad cv shaft of the intermediate shaft ujoint is bad I think its the ujoint dose any one have a number for that?

Clay
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
that pulling to the right when you gun it........ its not torque steer is it???

sexygomer
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
shouldn't be torque steer w/an intermediate shaft. but im surprised it has one an a 2.5 litre, i thought that was only the 2.2's. but i have been known to (rarely) be wrong :thumb:

dr_amx
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't think its torque steer if ti is its scarry bad. I also have a binding or clunk on that side. when I put the intermediate shaft in I thought it might be ok and I wanted to drive it.

dr_amx
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Well it was the intermediate shaft u-joint I replaced it last night alone with the cv shaft which was sooo much fun it remove. It now drives fine aside from being kind of twitchy I think that might be a poor alignment so when I get the new wheels and tires tomorrow I will have to get it aligned.

mcsvt
04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds like your getting it sorted nicely. :thumb: