PDA

View Full Version : UV erasers

cordes
02-18-2007, 10:28 PM
What are you guys using for a cheap UV eraser. I picked up a toothbrush cleaner, because I have heard of some people using them, and it was relatively cheap and portable, so I thought what the hey.

It is not working so well to erase the chips though. I have had to put the chips in there 4-5 times thus far (20-30min), and they are still not erased. I am thinking that this eraser does not have the stones to erase the chips very efficiently.

It is really starting to irk me too, as I am trying to burn some M87c257 chips with my willem enhanced burner, which does not lend itself to the burning of this chip so well. If anyone can walk me through it so I know for sure that I am doing it right that would be great.

I am burning the chip as a M87c256, and I am using the 32bit address check type since I am burning a chip of my SBEC.

ShelGame
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I use a "mineral" lamp I got on eBay for ~$15. It came with a standard black light, and a UV bulb that's in the proper wavelength (I don't remember what that is). It's battery powered, and zaps EPROMs in about 8 minutes...

cordes
02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
I use a "mineral" lamp I got on eBay for ~$15. It came with a standard black light, and a UV bulb that's in the proper wavelength (I don't remember what that is). It's battery powered, and zaps EPROMs in about 8 minutes...

What do you mean standard black light? I looked on a site earlier today, and I found that there are three main types of UV lights. I suspect that yours is obviously UV-C which is the proper type needed according to my reading.

I got a couple of them to come out blank as evidenced by my blank test, but as soon as I tried to burn them, they had an error, but they would not read blank after that. It was about a nanosecond before the error occurred too, so I haven't the foggiest if I am setting the burner up right. I think I am, but since I am trying to get it to program an 87c257 chip with a 87c256 setting, I am just not sure if there is any trick to getting it to work. I have read a couple posts on other sites which would suggest that it should work, and Cindy said that it should too, so who knows. I will keep trying and report my findings.

ETA: I just put one of the chips that I had run through the light 3 times, for a total of about 24min. and it read blank, but then I was able to read off of it, and it would not test blank after that. :confused:

ShelGame
02-19-2007, 12:10 AM
You know, a black light - makes everything white glow blue-ish. They use them in clubs, bars, amusement parks, etc. to read hand stamps.

You should be able to burn a 87C257 as a 27C256 no problem. I do it all the time with my Willem.

What do you mean standard black light? I looked on a site earlier today, and I found that there are three main types of UV lights. I suspect that yours is obviously UV-C which is the proper type needed according to my reading.

I got a couple of them to come out blank as evidenced by my blank test, but as soon as I tried to burn them, they had an error, but they would not read blank after that. It was about a nanosecond before the error occurred too, so I haven't the foggiest if I am setting the burner up right. I think I am, but since I am trying to get it to program an 87c257 chip with a 87c256 setting, I am just not sure if there is any trick to getting it to work. I have read a couple posts on other sites which would suggest that it should work, and Cindy said that it should too, so who knows. I will keep trying and report my findings.

ETA: I just put one of the chips that I had run through the light 3 times, for a total of about 24min. and it read blank, but then I was able to read off of it, and it would not test blank after that. :confused:

cordes
02-19-2007, 12:15 AM
You know, a black light - makes everything white glow blue-ish. They use them in clubs, bars, amusement parks, etc. to read hand stamps.

You should be able to burn a 87C257 as a 27C256 no problem. I do it all the time with my Willem.

You have got to be kidding me. A standard black light? What is with all of this germicidal BS every one has been talking about then? I don't see why one would get a specialty bulb when I can go to home depot or mijer and get a party light which would go great in my 70's themed pool room while also doubling as my chip eraser? :mad:

cordes
02-19-2007, 02:06 AM
OK, so here is a copy of my bin file that is coming off of the chips. I can't make much of it, but it won't verify as blank, and I can't program to it. I am using version 97.ja of the software if that makes a difference, although I don't think it should. I also tried 97.g too.

Anonymous_User
02-19-2007, 03:23 AM
I use a germicidal lamp in an 18" fluorescent fixture.

I bought everthing from ebay.

A lamp like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G15T8-15W-UV-Germicidal-Lamp-Bulb-for-IONIC-BREEZE-GP_W0QQitemZ290080225499QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14949QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Maybe not that exact lamp, I don't remember, but it was an 18" fluorescent

And I bought an 18" fluorescent blacklight because it was the cheapest way to get the fixture.

You will need to find a way to shine the light on the chip for 5 minutes or so without exposing yourself to the supposed harmful light. I simply stick the chip in some styrofoam, support the light over it, cover the whole thing up with a small tarp, and plug it in.

One thing, though. Buying an EEPROM is cheaper than buying the lamp and the fixture. I finally quit using the UV eraser.

ShelGame
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
You have got to be kidding me. A standard black light? What is with all of this germicidal BS every one has been talking about then? I don't see why one would get a specialty bulb when I can go to home depot or mijer and get a party light which would go great in my 70's themed pool room while also doubling as my chip eraser? :mad:

No, sorry. The light I bought was a black light, but the black light bulb won't erase the chips. You need the "mineral" (UV-C) bulb to replace the black light bulb. I found an auction on ebay where the lamp came with both bulbs, that's all. The unit that holds/powers the bulb is the same as the ones you'd find at a bar/club. 3 AA batteries powers it.

lametec
02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Erasable-EPROM-UV-Lamp-Ultraviolet-Timer-Program-eraser_W0QQitemZ170081572911QQihZ007QQcategoryZ467 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works.

cordes
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
No, sorry. The light I bought was a black light, but the black light bulb won't erase the chips. You need the "mineral" (UV-C) bulb to replace the black light bulb. I found an auction on ebay where the lamp came with both bulbs, that's all. The unit that holds/powers the bulb is the same as the ones you'd find at a bar/club. 3 AA batteries powers it.

I see. Thanks. IIRC the last time I was in my local hardware store they actually had a germicidal bulb. This was right after I ordered mine off of the internet that I saw it. Hopefully I can get one of those going for less than what another eraser would cost me.

amcpacer
02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a willem enhanced burner using 97ja software and have been trying for the last 2 months to burn a 27C256. I have bought many of them and get some error during burn then the chip is no longer empty afterward.
It is good to know that a mineral UV-C is what I need to erase that pile of 27C256 chips.

Yesterday I ordered some SST27SF512 chips and hopefully they will work.

I read somewhere that the willem enhanced burner does not like buring 27C256 because it is powered by the USB interface. I guess the more desireable burner would have been the willem dual power burner. Perhaps that is the problem that you are having.

lametec
02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I had problems burning 27C256's too. The enhanced burner is really no good for any 27C series EPROM.

I burned a 27C512 without a problem, though, and they're pin compatible with the 27C256's anyway (as far as in circuit use goes.. programming is different), so I used that instead.

cordes
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I have a willem enhanced burner using 97ja software and have been trying for the last 2 months to burn a 27C256. I have bought many of them and get some error during burn then the chip is no longer empty afterward.
It is good to know that a mineral UV-C is what I need to erase that pile of 27C256 chips.

Yesterday I ordered some SST27SF512 chips and hopefully they will work.

I read somewhere that the willem enhanced burner does not like buring 27C256 because it is powered by the USB interface. I guess the more desireable burner would have been the willem dual power burner. Perhaps that is the problem that you are having.

I know for a fact that the willem enhanced will burn the 27SF512s, as those are the chips that I use in my omni, and it works without fail.

I have read that the willem enhanced will do the M87c257s as M87c256, but I have had no luck whatsoever, and I believe we might have the same problem. I would hate to have to buy a dual power just to do cals for my shadow since it is the only one of the three which require the 87c257.

Right now I am really frustrated.

Aries_Turbo
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
cordes, are you possibly missing the fact that rob is saying to burn it as a 27c256.... as opposed to the 87C256 that you are talking about?

Brian

Bubba
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Erasable-EPROM-UV-Lamp-Ultraviolet-Timer-Program-eraser_W0QQitemZ170081572911QQihZ007QQcategoryZ467 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works.

I have this same one and have been happy with it so far.

cordes
02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
cordes, are you possibly missing the fact that rob is saying to burn it as a 27c256.... as opposed to the 87C256 that you are talking about?

Brian

While pulling my hair out, I did miss that. I will give that a go now, and report back. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

cordes
02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
OK, I have the chips verifying that they are empty now that I am burning them as 27c256. I now just need to get them to burn properly. I will hopefully figure it out tonight. I think my problem now is which checksum I am burning it at. We shall see.