PDA

View Full Version : leaky injectors

TurboXT
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
i pulled my fuel rail today and found that # 3 and 4 were leaking. so i swapped them with some injectors from another car, which dont leak. but when i put them on my car they leak. whats the problem here? my harness? LMK (86 daytona TII)

thanks

cordes
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
It might be time for some new O-rings. It is a very noticable differnece between the old ones that are probably on there and the new ones when you look at them side by side.

TurboXT
01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
i thought of that but how would that make my injectors leak. i pulled the rail left on the valve cover then primed the pump, after 10 minutes you can see fuel gathering up.

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2006, 05:45 PM
i thought of that but how would that make my injectors leak. i pulled the rail left on the valve cover then primed the pump, after 10 minutes you can see fuel gathering up.

Probably the O-rings. Its rare for our injectors to leak externally.

Bardo
01-20-2006, 06:25 PM
you have to remember your ring are most likely 10, 15, or 20 years old and if im right all they are is rubber

BIG PSI
01-20-2006, 07:03 PM
The best and cheapest place to buy new O-Rings is at NAPA. the part number is #2-12093. They come in a small box with two o-rings per box. I paid like $10.00 for all eight, but you should consider replacing the oring on the fuel pressure regulator as well.

Chuck

:thumb:

TurboXT
01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
OK. but can some PLEASE tell me how that would make fuel leak from the nozzle (whatever you call that). you sit there and watch it puddle up.

and i doubt the o rings were all bad on all of those other injectors that dont on another car

BIG PSI
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
OK. but can some PLEASE tell me how that would make fuel leak from the nozzle (whatever you call that). you sit there and watch it puddle up.

and i doubt the o rings were all bad on all of those other injectors that dont on another car

When you pulled off the original FI you more than likely tore a smll piece of the o-rings. It happens all the time if the o-rings are old.

Chuck

TurboXT
01-20-2006, 11:56 PM
OMG. its not the o rings. do you guys even understand what im saying????? its from where the fuel comes out. tell how an o ring would cause that

its almost like something is keeping them a lil open. i tried 4 other injectors and they only leak on # 3 & 4

Garret
01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Then there is a grounding problem Gabe. They aren't listening to what you are saying, the only way the injectors will stay open is if there is a ground issue, so try grounding out both sides of the rail

TurboXT
01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
finally a good answer. thanks man. maybe the ground from the harness is bad? i'll swap w/ my shelby

Garret
01-21-2006, 05:14 AM
Make a new one out of some 8 gauge speakerwire, the stock braided grounds are crappy

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
OMG. its not the o rings. do you guys even understand what im saying????? its from where the fuel comes out. tell how an o ring would cause that

its almost like something is keeping them a lil open. i tried 4 other injectors and they only leak on # 3 & 4

Then write your problem clearer. You said they were puddling, nothing about it coming out of the nozzles. Don't get mad at us for throwing out ideas.

If you prime your fuel pump and they leak out of the nozzles, the injectors need cleaning by a shop that specializes in that or they are junk.

Garret
01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
He clearly stated that it was coming out of the nossle and that he swapped the injectors only to find the two in the 3 & 4 spot were leaking no matter which injectors are in there, which leads me to believe a grounding/wiring issue as if the injectors don't leak in another setup then they aren't dirty

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 04:58 AM
He clearly stated that it was coming out of the nossle and that he swapped the injectors only to find the two in the 3 & 4 spot were leaking no matter which injectors are in there, which leads me to believe a grounding/wiring issue as if the injectors don't leak in another setup then they aren't dirty

Wrong, posts 1 and 3 state nothing about nozzles, then in post 7, he mentions nozzles. And leaking injectors out of the nozzle has nothing to do with the electronics. There dirty, or faulty.

Garret
01-22-2006, 05:12 AM
Well how come when he changes the injectors to ones that don't leak, they only leak out of the #3 and #4 spot?

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Well how come when he changes the injectors to ones that don't leak, they only leak out of the #3 and #4 spot?

That is weird but trust me, if the injectors are energized, they won't be trickling out, :eyebrows:

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
For that matter, there's a fine way to test for that. Just put fuel pressure to them without hooking them up electrically. If they still leak, then it's the injectors. If they don't then it has to be some other issue.

Garret
01-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Tony that's a good suggestion

ShelbyTurbo
01-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Probably the O-rings. Its rare for our injectors to leak externally.

Its rare, but I've seen it happen. :thumb:

Last fall at my shop while I was trying to get my car up and going, everything was done, everything was in place...

"Fire in the Hole!"
"WTF? Damn!"

A quick 5 min drive to my house for my spair fuel rail/ injectors and all was well.

But back on topic, its probably the O-rings.

ShelbyTurbo
01-27-2006, 09:37 PM
For that matter, there's a fine way to test for that. Just put fuel pressure to them without hooking them up electrically. If they still leak, then it's the injectors. If they don't then it has to be some other issue.

Make sure that the injector is clipped into that rail really well, don't need one of those firing across your garage with 55 psi of fuel behind it. :thumb:

TurboXT
01-28-2006, 01:25 AM
But back on topic, its probably the O-rings.

:lol:

damn you

Greedy
01-28-2006, 02:45 AM
Its rare, but I've seen it happen. :thumb:

^+1
I first saw the leak so i replaced all the o rings then fired it up and it leaked again.WTF
Then I replaced the rail itself and started it up again and it was still leaking.
Then I pulled the individual injector out and looked at it.
When I looked at it closely it was clean in the area where the leak originated from but the rest of the injector was dirty.
I had never before heard of this happening,but I grabbed a spare injector and that solved the problem.

Mike

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Tony that's a good suggestion
Thanks!

Tony Hanna
01-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Make sure that the injector is clipped into that rail really well, don't need one of those firing across your garage with 55 psi of fuel behind it. :thumb:

Don't give me any ideas! I'll be out in the driveway with a pump and a fuel rail shooting injectors at the neighbors cats. :evil: