PDA

View Full Version : Garrett T2 in VNT Temporarily

Devsdaytona
02-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, as some may know I am about to get Boostboys shadow with a VNT and I was wondering what is required to install a garrett t2 turbo on it temorarily until I get the VNT rebuilt.

Thank You.

Whorse
02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
a 90 T1 sbec might be nice, but it will drive without the VNT, just doesn't have the same wastegate controls. If you want to try it, I have a VNT turbo here that you could use temporarily to test and mail back, or else buy or trade it if you like. I don't know if it works or not.

butchsuppe
02-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Use a grainger valve to control boost and disconnect the vac. to the wastgate solinoid. I,ve done this same setup with no problems.

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Well, tuesday I will know for sure if I have the job a lordco and that means I would get a good deal on another A/f gauge, then on the weekend I will be getting the car, so I can try putting in the garrett and redo the appropiate vacum lines and see how she works. As soon as I sell the dakota, I will be looking into another/rebuilt VNT turbo cause the garrett belongs to the Daytona.

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Use a grainger valve to control boost and disconnect the vac. to the wastgate solinoid. I,ve done this same setup with no problems.

That's what I had done on my Daytona, with a 2.5 t1 and t2 turbo and IC. I don't know much about the electrical end of a VNT yet.

Thanks for your help.

Whorse
02-18-2007, 01:36 AM
The VNT electrical is basically a different computer, which controls 2 solenoids that control the actuator for the vanes, which work like a wastegate. I've done the trip up the Coquihalla part way with my IC hoses blown off where I had no chance to pull over and fix them, and it made it ok, just need a bit more juice up the hills.

tryingbe
02-18-2007, 04:34 AM
Get one of his cores and rebuild that.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11392

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Get one of his cores and rebuild that.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11392

Or I could put the garrett in while I rebuild the core thats already in the car:eyebrows:

Directconnection
02-18-2007, 12:30 PM
a 90 T1 sbec might be nice, but it will drive without the VNT, just doesn't have the same wastegate controls. If you want to try it, I have a VNT turbo here that you could use temporarily to test and mail back, or else buy or trade it if you like. I don't know if it works or not.

Do NOT use a T-I SBEC in place of the T-IV SBEC on that engine. T-I is a 2.5 non-intercooled.

To use the Garrett... you need to swap out for a T-II exhaust manifold. The manifolds are essentially the same, but the VNT has a through hole in the manifold. You'll also need to use the garrett's 2-1/2" SV and wastegate.

Other than that, disconnect the vaccum lines for the VNT solenoids and simply run a G-valve (don't unplug the vnt solenoids electrical connectors) to control boost.

I have a good used VNT turbo ready to bolt on for $175+ shipping if interested.

Whorse
02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Wouldn't the spark/fuel curves for the 2.5 be the only issue with the T1 on a trip back? The 2.5 runs on more fuel and isn't expecting to be intercooled, so it's getting a 'safer' charge than the computer expects. I've thought about doing this in my car temporarily to have the turbo checked, so if it's a problem I'm glad you brought it up.

Directconnection
02-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I forget which way is ok, and which way is not. 2.5 would probably have more fuel in part throttle, but I would say no in boost. Then again... I don't know much about cals.

Either way... best thing would be to run te stock VNT cal witha simple grainger or run the boost signal off the compressor housing to net low boost. But, he still will need garrett oil/coolant lines and a garrett/mitsu exhaust manifold setup.

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Thank You for the help. I don't think it would just be a couple hour job if I need to remove the exhaust manifold. What are you meaning by a through hole?

Also, does anyone have any approximate price as to how much it would cost to rebuild the turbo? I would rather get it rebuilt and have a reliable one than get a used one because I want this car to be a reliable DD.

Thank You

Mopar_Nutz
02-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Or I could put the garrett in while I rebuild the core thats already in the car:eyebrows:

Or leave the TII in it and enjoy a little extra boost. Throw the VNT in a box so you can put it back to stock whenever you choose :D

TII, intercooled shadows are fuuuunnnnn!

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. The only problem is that the turbo belongs to the Daytona, unless I can find another Garrett in good shape.

Mopar_Nutz
02-18-2007, 03:42 PM
If it wasn't a rare shadow, I'd say make the Daytona a nice cruiser and turn the Shadow into a racer....

tryingbe
02-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm gonna have to ask my rebuilder and how much.

Whorse
02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
When it comes to VNTs, Steve Mercier and Will Martin are probably the two best guys I've talked to and I would trust them both 100%. I would highly encourage you to get the turbo off Steve for it. If you want to at least try it, you are welcome to try my VNT turbo.

Devsdaytona
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
When it comes to VNTs, Steve Mercier and Will Martin are probably the two best guys I've talked to and I would trust them both 100%. I would highly encourage you to get the turbo off Steve for it. If you want to at least try it, you are welcome to try my VNT turbo.

Yeah, it did appear to me that Steve knows his stuff.:thumb:

butchsuppe
02-18-2007, 11:57 PM
You DON,T have to change ex. mani to put a T2 turbo onto a VNT ex, mani. It,s the other way around. I just put a bolt + nut thru the left side lower bolt hole. When I put a VNT on my car I used an angle drill to drill that hole (where the stud used to be ) on the car.

Devsdaytona
02-19-2007, 12:55 AM
You DON,T have to change ex. mani to put a T2 turbo onto a VNT ex, mani. It,s the other way around. I just put a bolt + nut thru the left side lower bolt hole. When I put a VNT on my car I used an angle drill to drill that hole (where the stud used to be ) on the car.

That certainly helps.

Thank You

racer-xerols
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
If you need a VNT core, let me know. I can send my core to you for rebuild and once it's done you can just send me your core - it can't be worse than mine, LOL. Cover postage both ways, don't have to pay me or anything like that and it keeps you from downing the car any longer than you have to for the swap itself. LMK if I can help out :) You're gonna love the "instaboost" world of the VNT!

Devsdaytona
02-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I really appreciate all the offers for core trades and other good turbos that they would trade or sell. This really is a great site with great people.

ShadowFromHell
09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I have a T2 on my CSX. Once you go from a VNT to a T2 you wont go back. The VNT cals seem to be really hot to make up for the small turbo. Add a T2, and the car will SCREAM!