PDA

View Full Version : Running no exhaust after DP? Good? Bad? Nothing?

Mysterio
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't know if i'm still running the stock exhaust or not but it's decently rusty. I was thinking about removing the exhaust after the down pipe and leaving it disconnected until I can go with a full 3 inch exhaust. Simply for the reason that I don't know weather or not the cat is clogged or not causing any power loss or what not.

Will running no exhaust after the down pipe cause me to lose/gain power that I should know about? Or will it have no noticeable change?

If there's no noticeable change other than inside the car noise then i'm definetly going to do it. I used to roll a 5.0 mustang with dumps so the incar sound is nothing new to me.

Subliminal
02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, i guess if your area considers it legal and you can stand the noise, it's the best way to go, performance wise.

Me, personally..I couldn't take it. It was so noisy, I didn't even want to hit the gas because I always felt bad for the houses and the cars around me.

Pat
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
You'll go faster but you may also go deaf! :-)

mcsvt
02-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I drove like this back and forth between NYC and South Jersey a couple times while I was waiting for the rest of my 3" stuff. Loud yes!! Not horrible at a cruise, but accel and decel it's pretty loud. The only time it wasn't bad was going over bridges with grates ;)

I actually was driving next to a Police Officer in the city at one point. I was short shifting like you wouldn't believe... And kept getting caught next to him at almost all the lights... He was in a metermaid type vehicle, so you know he had to hear me. Guess I was lucky :)

Dave
02-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Mysterio and I are kids. I drove my Spirit like that all the time with an open downpipe. My dad could never get me to cap it up. :thumb: There's nothing like a turbo whistlin' in the air. :nod:

Mysterio
02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Yea I think that's what i'm going to do. I'm thinking about pulling the car into the garage in a bit and just hacking the exhaust off :-D I don't mind the sound. I'm sure it will be louder than my 5.0 since the 50 had a bit more piping and mufflers even though it was dumped, but It can't be TOO much worse than that. We'll see though haha. I don't mind the noise though. I loved getting looks in my mustang because it was loud. And I loved setting off car alarms even more, good times :)

moparmaster
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
The sound is not too loud but it is stupidity if you drive anywhere that a catalytic converter is required. If a cop stops you, you're screwed. It is great for performance.

Tony Hanna
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I dunno man. I drove my Daytona for a couple days with an open DP. It was about enough to make my ears bleed. If you can take the noise then ok. Only down side is you might get some boost creep if you're running a mitsu turbo. If you're planning on listening to the radio or carrying on a conversation in the car with the engine running forget about it.

nomadman2001
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I use a servo-operated Y-pipe dump :D best of both worlds!

BadAssPerformance
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Get a good 3" system and it is almost the same performacne! :thumb:

Whatever you do, leave enough downpipe there (like down to where the seam is in front of the converter) because if it is too short (like no DP for sure) in this cold weather the turbine blades can undergo horrible heat cycling on and off throttle and possibly shatter turbine blades off.

nomadman2001
02-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Get a good 3" system and it is almost the same performacne! :thumb:

Whatever you do, leave enough downpipe there (like down to where the seam is in front of the converter) because if it is too short (like no DP for sure) in this cold weather the turbine blades can undergo horrible heat cycling on and off throttle and possibly shatter turbine blades off.

+1 I did a back to back test on the dyno and it showed virtually no difference with the cut-out open or closed. I have a 3" mandrel bent system and a straight through muffler. I like the sound of the open cut-out from time to time and like the abilitiy to not listen to it when I've had enough.

BadAssPerformance
02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Cool info, got the dyno plots for us?

Yeah, the open DP is cool music at times ;)

Mysterio
02-17-2007, 03:41 AM
I plan on getting a 3'' exhaust. I was just kinda wanting to do this for shits and giggles to see how it would be. It wouldn't be perminent.

And as for cats. Cats are required to pass e-check around here, but other than that I've never had troubles from cops. I threw cats on my mustang to pass e-check and then took them back off when I passed and that car was stupid loud. Never had a cop actually get down and look to see if the cat was where it should be.

They're planning on getting rid of e-check here in ohio by end of 08 I beleive it was anyways, so ---- em :)

When I go w/ my 3'' exhaust it will have no cat that's for sure, so what's the difference.

My dad was saying the car would be too loud and he would prefer if I didn't cut it off at the DP. Seeing as I spend a lot of time visiting here, working on my car, helping with things, and what not. He said he'd appreciate it if my car wasn't stupid loud. So I might hold off until I do have a 3'' exhaust and then just cut mine and run it for a few days for shits & giggles before I put the 3'' on.

shadow88
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I ran my car with only a downpipe for a very short drive to work. The drive was about 25 miles. YES it's stupid loud, but there's something else you should consider - the fumes. The marvels of carbon monoxide will do wonders for your conciousness, and really just isn't worth it.

Aries_Turbo
02-19-2007, 11:46 PM
loud as crap.... other than that, fun!

if you want loud but somewhat reasoanble, leave the stock cat on the end of the DP but ram a straight pipe through it (for decent flow... you might have to do a little grinding to get a pipe in there) and then use an elbow and go out the side. not quite as loud but still all the fun turbine noises. plus its fun to give someone a side exit blast. less fumes too.

with a stock computer and a mitsu, youll hit cutout all the time though. with a garrett its not as bad but you can hit cutuot sometimes though in higher gears.

Brian

Birddog
02-20-2007, 02:31 AM
then took them back off when I passed and that car was stupid loud.

That's the best way to describe the sound you'll get with an open 3" DP on the street. My wife still hates the Omni after riding home for 14 miles on open exhaust after watching the muffler spark across I55. (Seriously... We couldn't focus.. NOT good...)

TonaChris
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
They're planning on getting rid of e-check here in ohio by end of 08 I beleive it was anyways, so ---- em :)

But do you really believe them? They've talked about it for years but still have it. What counties have it other then lorain?

Mysterio
03-16-2007, 06:01 PM
But do you really believe them? They've talked about it for years but still have it. What counties have it other then lorain?

9 counties in ohio already have e-check. It was made free this year. They're trying to pass a bill or whatever to get it completely gone since it's free already now.

Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, Summit

are e-check counties.