PDA

View Full Version : Fix it or part it? '89 min tranny

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 02:29 AM
My old van has been sitting for several months now being used as a storage facility. It's an '89 Grand with 3.3. The tranny needs replaced.

I originally started buying stuff to drop in a 2.5L turbo motor and A413. Got the wiring harness, SMEC, etc. Then I picked up the CSXT and I no longer have any urge to convert the van.

So, now I either need to junk it, part it, or fix it.

How much work is it to swap out the tranny in one of these?

What should I expect to pay at a junk yard for a tranny?

Can I expect a junk yard tranny to last?

turbovanmanČ
02-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Junk yard tranny is hit or miss.

I guess the question is, how much can you get for it running? then make your decision.

Tranny is ok to do, not that hard.

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Brief summary of tranny swap please.

Drop the k-member? Tranny out the bottom?

TurboJerry
02-15-2007, 03:54 AM
The R and R is just like a 4 cyl. (turbo or not) Drain fluid, converter bolts, axles, starter, electrical/grounds, shifter cable, front motor mount, support motor, bell housing bolts, cooler lines, trans mount, etc....... I usually leave one top bell housing bolt until the very last thing to pull the trans out the bottom. No need to pull the K-member. I recommend buying a trans with a guarantee if you go the used route........

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 04:47 AM
The R and R is just like a 4 cyl. (turbo or not) Drain fluid, converter bolts, axles, starter, electrical/grounds, shifter cable, front motor mount, support motor, bell housing bolts, cooler lines, trans mount, etc....... I usually leave one top bell housing bolt until the very last thing to pull the trans out the bottom. No need to pull the K-member. I recommend buying a trans with a guarantee if you go the used route........

Thanks. Never done a mini trans before. Same as anything else it sounds.

22mopar
02-15-2007, 09:38 AM
there is no such animal as an 89 caravan with a 3.3. 1990 was the first year for the 3.3. forget about buying a JY trans, not a risk worth taking and these are high demand transmissions = expensive. you'd be best off keeping it as a storage shed. scrap is up right now... I'm getting $150/ton and the catalytic converters from these vans deliver $40.... So if I was to scrap your van, I'd have around $250 cash in my pocket.

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
there is no such animal as an 89 caravan with a 3.3. 1990 was the first year for the 3.3

OK, now see, I've had this problem all along. The van is titled, registered, and door stamped '89. It HAS a 3.3. Same engine as my '99.

And yes, I've double checked the VIN code on the dash and the title to verify that they match.

Strange.

22mopar
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
OK, now see, I've had this problem all along. The van is titled, registered, and door stamped '89. It HAS a 3.3. Same engine as my '99.

And yes, I've double checked the VIN code on the dash and the title to verify that they match.

Strange.

try any autoparts store for a 3.3 1989... NONE exsist. I have an original 1989 minivan sales literature... NO 3.3 option listed. cars built after 9/89 would be 1990 model year vehicles. What is your 10th digit?

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 05:50 PM
What is your 10th digit?

Oh, man, I'd have to put on my extreme cold weather gear and brave the elements to get that info!

22mopar
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh, man, I'd have to put on my extreme cold weather gear and brave the elements to get that info!

whatever :blah::blah: :blah: so you don't have the title anywhere in your house and you never go outside to go to work or the store... :mecry:

BTW it's a hell a lot colder here in WI and I just pulled a trans out of a minivan outside yesterday afternoon.

Anonymous_User
02-16-2007, 11:47 AM
The van is behind the shop about 15 minutes from my house.

The title SAYS 1989

The engine is a 3.3

No, I do NOT have the title in the house. All my titles are stored securely with other important documents such as the deed to my house, etc.

And darn it, I'm COLD

thpppffft!!!!

I can only presume that the tilte is incorrect. If they didn't make the 3.3 in 1989, then it isn't a 1989.

Anywho.... this was about "how hard is it to change the transmission" I got my answer. Now I can make an informed decision regarding the future of the vehicle.

Devsdaytona
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
ok, everyobody take a couple deep breaths;)

22mopar
02-16-2007, 01:54 PM

The title SAYS 1989

The engine is a 3.3

No, I do NOT have the title in the house. All my titles are stored securely with other important documents such as the deed to my house, etc.

And darn it, I'm COLD

thpppffft!!!!

I can only presume that the tilte is incorrect. If they didn't make the 3.3 in 1989, then it isn't a 1989.

Anywho.... this was about "how hard is it to change the transmission" I got my answer. Now I can make an informed decision regarding the future of the vehicle.

changing the transmission is as easy or hard as you want it to be. For me, I can change that transmission out and back in less than 2 hrs. I imagine, given your types of questions and appearant abilites, it'll take you substantially longer than that.

Vigo
02-17-2007, 06:53 PM
maybe you just like to ---- with people but if you just go off the hook you'll be gone and noone will have benefiitted. to whomever it may concern..

i work at a trans shop and r&r 604 caravans all the time. they're the easiest FWDs i do. it WILL take you hours and hours if you have never done it before, but our labor for R&R fwd is 300-500 bucks so you'd be saving yourself at least that.

TurboJerry
02-18-2007, 11:51 PM

The title SAYS 1989

The engine is a 3.3

And darn it, I'm COLD

thpppffft!!!!

I see '89 3.3 vans in the JY's from time to time. I didn't think it was an issue. And I have checked the emission sticker as well as the vin from time to time also.