PDA

View Full Version : Clicking after flexplate replacement...bearings?

TurboOmni08
02-14-2007, 10:45 PM
This is a story of two cars...the conclusion is the same.

When I purchased my van (90 turbo) it had a broken flexplate. I replaced it and it has a click in the engine when IN GEAR at idle. It was driven about 200miles by the previous owner and me before replacing the plate.

My friend has an 89 Spirit turbo. He and his girlfriend drove it about 200 miles before asking me what was wrong with it, it too a flexplate. It also now has a clicking at idle when in gear.

So I can only conclude that the sound is caused by the same thing. I didn't know the van before the broken plate, but the Spirit was silent before the broken flexplate. Both cars in Neutral run very quiet. But in gear (any gear) they both clack at low RPMs. It sounds when using the stethoscope that the sound is coming from the block. Just listening to it you would think its in the valvetrain...but the steth clearly shows it is in the block, not the transmission, top end, or accessories.

One more clue. in both cars the end of the torque converter (the "snub") Is kind of mashed down and warn. Both broke the plates because of misalignment of the transmission.

So, the conclusion I have drawn is that the extra play in the crank because of the broken plate has caused wear of the thrust bearing and other bearings. Does this make sense to everyone? Would simply replacing main and rod bearings fix it if that was the case? Should I do rings when I do bearings? What brands are best?

BARRON
02-14-2007, 11:38 PM
The same thing happened to my van. Exact simptoms you describe.

The nose on the torque converter is machined to fit snugly in the end of the crank. When they are run with a broken flexplate for long periods they will beat the nose out of round.. or wear it down so it no longer is tight into the end of the crank. Mine was so bad we thought it was rod knock or a main bearing.

http://media.putfile.com/the-knock <-sound a little like this?

Replace the torque converter,torque the bolts to spec and use blue loctite.

TurboOmni08
02-14-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding if I hear the same sound in the video. At any other condition but setting at idle they both sound fine. But in gear at idle it sounds like a clicking/knocking coming from the front of the engine. At least it sounds like the front of the engine. I know both TCs are beat up on the snub. Did you break another flexplate shortly after replacing it or did you discover the problem? This will be the third time I'll have the trans out of my van in 3 months. Anyone else have any input?

TurboOmni08
02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
can the end of the crank be ruined?

BARRON
02-15-2007, 12:07 AM
I bought the van with a blown engine. It started making the clacking/knocking sound a few days after the engine was installed. I separated the engine/trans looking for a broken flex plate or whatever. I noteced flakes of metal in the little cup in the end of the crank,I looked at the nose on the converter.. it looked bad. I installed a new converter, noise all gone.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7041 <- My thread back then.

TurboOmni08
02-15-2007, 01:03 AM
hmm, so you did all that bearing replacing and BS before checking the TC? That sucks. Yours from descriptions sounds worse then mine. Was your flexplate ever actually broken that you know of? An anyone shed any more light on this? What is the reason that the TC/Crank mis-fit would cause a problem?

TurboOmni08
02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Anyone? Has this happened to anyone else?

TurboOmni08
02-19-2007, 01:51 AM
GOT IT! Never guess what it was. The freakin balance shaft cog on the crank came loose. the three torx wandered out and were digging into the crank seal retainer. Thats what caused the rattling noise and ultimately the seal failure. Anyone got a crank seal retainer for cheap?

tryingbe
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
89 common block?

You can have mine for $5 + shipping.

BARRON
02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
These old dodges never cease to amaze me in the 1000's of ways they can fall apart and cause headaches for their owners.

TurboOmni08
02-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I can't believe no one has had this happen before...I've had it happen in two cars in the space of a month (same problem in my van)