PDA

View Full Version : poly mounts or stock?

Capt'n Dave
02-13-2007, 05:16 PM
I just changed out 26year old swaybar rubber mounts and thinking about is it worth the cost of the poly mounts for the engine/tranny? i have read many articles and comments about vibration, and so on. The car will be mostly driven on the street for the most of the time... I can get stock mounts all three cheaper than i can buy just one of the other,are they worth the difference? I am under 200Hp but still torquie to a point,Thanks!:confused:

bfarroo
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
The poly mounts are nice if you can afford them. I have all of them with a solid bogbone in my 91 daytona and the motor stays planted and I have very little vibration. I've heard of people filling the stock mounts with windshield urithane to stiffen them up a little. I've never done it so I don't know the outcome but I'm sure someone here can chime in. I think if you have a healthy and properly installed/centered motor the solid mounts don't cause much vibration.

devlish
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
i've done it both ways... the poly mounts and filled them with eurothane from a caulk-style tube. the poly ones are obviously harder/better IMO, and will probably last a lifetime. however, if your current rubber mounts are in decent shape, take them out and fill in the gaps. it will help solidify them somewhat, and probably help them last a little longer. probably not much of a performance mod, but it might at least bring them back to stock rigidity. just take it slowly, fill only about 1/4" at a time, them let it tack up and dry for a couple hours before applying the next 1/4". if you fill it all at once, you'll get the surface to dry & harden up, while the inside 1" or so will remain soft. so just take it slow over the course of a day or three. that's my advice. (also, if you get paintable eurothane, you can paint it black before reinstalling, and it won't look too terrible either!

if you look closely, you can see one of our filled mounts here, painted black. looks fine if you take your time and do a good job! http://www.projectglh.com/images/Day10_2.jpg

cordes
02-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I have the poly mounts on my cars. On my omni I have the front bobble strut, and trans mount, as I have not had to replace the pass side yet. It works great, and I don't notice too much vibration.

My shadow has just the front and bobble strut done, and I did not notice anymore vibration when I put them in. It does vibrate a lot more now that I have the balance shaft chain cut though.

Capt'n Dave
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
thanks guys for the comebacks,I think i will take a good look at the old ones,prior to replacing them...I did install poly's on my stock sway bar,i haven't tried it out to see if i fell a difference,but it can't hurt,it all ready was a cornering beast,Ha!:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Get them, if you leave the stock bobble strut, you probably wont' notice any difference plus your engine won't bang around. If you have a 2.5 and cut the BS chain, you'll know about it but other than that, I love mine.

devlish
02-14-2007, 10:30 AM
i noticed NO difference when i did my polybushing on the sway bar & control arm. i'm sure it's nice that they're there, but didn't change ride quality, and no noticeable difference in handling. i just did it becuase i was replacing everything else... and those where pretty cheap items actually.

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
You should notice a difference when you do the control arms, I sure did. The front end doesn't want to dance anymore and its more precise.

devlish
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
my bad, i meant sway bar only. the control arms are done now too, but haven't driven the car since. sorry. i HOPE i notice the control arm bushings. i think reinforcing the control arms will help a little too. we added a tad more bracing underneath in the open valleys.

ScottD
02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I used MP motor mounts and a stock dog bone in my L-body. I didn't like the vibration from the solid dog bone and poly front mount I had in there.

On my AA body Spirit R/T, I have a solid bobble strut and poly front and side mounts. With the balance shafts that the T3 has and the overall better build quality of the AA body compared to an L body, I don't get much if any vibration and I really like the poly stuff in that car.

1985ShlbyChrger
02-15-2007, 02:11 AM
I've got the poly side and front mounts with the stock pass mount and bobble strut, plus I put poly control arm bushings in my Reliant wagon. It vibrates the hell out of my car, but then again most of the interior in my car is loose and I've had the parts out a bunch of times so they are loose. But the control arm bushings made a huge difference. Wheel hop was reduced a lot, and it just feels a lot more solid.

Nate

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 02:24 AM
You should notice a difference when you do the control arms, I sure did. The front end doesn't want to dance anymore and its more precise.

Are you going from worn out rubber to poly?

My CSXT has brand new rubber control arm bushings already installed by previous owner. Haven't even been on the road yet. I am wondering if I should leave them be or replace with poly.

turbovanmanČ
02-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Are you going from worn out rubber to poly?

My CSXT has brand new rubber control arm bushings already installed by previous owner. Haven't even been on the road yet. I am wondering if I should leave them be or replace with poly.

Going from so so rubber to poly and also good rubber to poly. It does make a difference, it wants to put the power down instead of hopping and going torque steering. :partywoot:

Anonymous_User
02-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Going from so so rubber to poly and also good rubber to poly. It does make a differnce, it wants to put the power down instead of hopping and going torque steering

Thank you sir!

Poly it is.

Capt'n Dave
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Well,Guys i guess that settles it,sounds like Poly's it is,that will have to wait for now till i get a few$$$$$$$,Thanks!:thumb: